tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

acquihire

PRONUNCIATION: AK-wi-hy-uhr

This word is a noun that means a purchase of a company for its talent rather than its products or services. It can also be used as a verb to purchase a company in this manner.

This is a very recent word, with an earliest documented use in 2005. Believed to be coined by Rex Hammock as a combination of acquire + hire. From Latin quaerere (to seek, get) and Old English hyrian (to hire).

I wonder what word you use for acquisitions where you're really buying the product line, goodwill and customer base, and you plan on getting rid of all the people (probably more common).

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

paywall

This word is a noun that means a system, typically constructed via software, that restricts access to online content or services, making them accessible only upon payment.

Obviously, this is just a compound word of pay + wall. But for you nerds, it comes from the Latin word pacare (appease), and vallum (rampart). This is a very recent word, with the earliest documented use in 2004.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
day's word is:

timeous

This word is a two syllable word, NOT three syllables. Pronounced TIME-ous, not tim-e-ous.
This word is an adjective that means timely, or sufficiently early. Certainly an antonym for late. I'ts an old word with a first documented use in the late 1400s.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

yealing

This word is a noun that means someone who is the same age as you.

I never seen this word before. Apparently, it has Scottish roots (from the Scottish word eildins). It's a relatively old word, with an earliest documents use in 1728.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Saw another cool, new word this morning when reading...

It was: pharaonic

An adjective that means "of or like a pharaoh." For example, pharaonic splendor. I suppose you could also use it to describe someone who thinks too highly of himself. The dude is moronicly pharaonic!

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

witching hour

This word is a noun that historically meant midnight, with the idea that people thought this was the time that witches were most active. Earliest documents use is 1762.

The term witching hour has also been applied to early evening when babies supposedly cry more often (when they're collicky (sp?)). In the world of stock markets, it is the last hour of trading on the third Friday of certain months when there’s more volatility.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

meridian

This word is interesting (or strange), in that it has several diverse meanings. Its a line connecting the North Pole to the South Pole. It also means the middle of the day, or can used to mean the highest point, as relating to power, prosperity or development.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

ephemeral

This word is an adjective and means lasting a very short time; transitory.
Its also a noun meaning anything short-lived.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

ceraceous

This one may not be obvious with regards to its pronunciation. It's pronounced as follows:
suh-RAY-shuhs

The word is an adjective that means waxy.
From the Latin word "cera" that means wax, and "aceous," which means to resemble. It's a relatively old word, with an earliest documented use of 1768.

Not sure when I'll use this word, but I like the way it sounds.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

hebdomadal

This word is pronounced as: heb-DOM-uh-duhl

This word is an adjective that means weekly. One easy way to remember this is to consider its Greek root "hepta", which means seven. It's an old word, with an earliest documented use of 1612.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Today's word is:

piscine

This word can be pronounced properly two different ways:
(1) PY-seen
(2) PIS-ayn

This word is an adjective that means fishy (i.e., literally fishy, not strange or odd)
This word is taken from the Latin root piscis, which means fish. A relatively old word with an earliest documented use in 1670.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Today's word is:

piscine

This word can be pronounced properly two different ways:
(1) PY-seen
(2) PIS-ayn

This word is an adjective that means fishy (i.e., literally fishy, not strange or odd)
This word is taken from the Latin root piscis, which means fish. A relatively old word with an earliest documented use in 1670.
Makes sense ... the earliest (documented) use of Cunnilingus was in 1669 :p

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic