40x12x3
40x8

Pulldowns
70x8x2
90x8

Hammer curls
15x10
15x6

Bought some converse to lift in, felt very good. Benching went ok, felt pretty powerful through most of the sets aside from the last few, sticking point is pretty high up but for my first day back into this I am happy with it. Arms filled with blood pretty quickly. My gym has gotten some chains and tires and a bunch of new stuff around so I am happy to be back in there.

So after a very long weight cut I've lost a ton of strength. My total volume was 15,840 pounds so I'm, going to just go for an increase of about 160 pounds in volume per a week for the next 9 weeks. Really trying to push things around with work so I can jump my numbers way up in the next few weeks.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Looks like a quality day in the gym Wolf, keep it up!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
That increase of 160 in you cumulative... Will that come thru volume or increasing weight? Or both?

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Looks like a quality day in the gym Wolf, keep it up!

Thanks a lot, I'm going to.

That increase of 160 in you cumulative... Will that come thru volume or increasing weight? Or both?

Both. How I decide is largely based on my in gym performance. I don't want to add weight to sacrifice net speed of the next lifts in line and I don't want to add volume for the sake of leaving it all in the gym (aside from the 2-3 sets of high reps that I will be utilizing) for the exact same reason. I want explosiveness on 95%+ of all my lifts.

Lower body DE
Squat
45x5
45x5
45x5
95x5
95x5
135x2
155x2x9

Standing hamstring curls
10x5
15x5
25x8
25x8
35x8

Hyper extensions
bodyweightx6
bodyweightx6
bodyweightx6
bodyweight+25lbs x6

Hanging leg raises
bodyweightx8x3

Hamstrings cramped up real quick during squats, it didn't; feel like anything was really heavy it just felt like my body was shocked by the activity and didn't do exactly what I wanted it to do. Squatting felt good aside from the hamstrings cramping up a bit, form was good, depth was good. Pretty good first days back, gives me some insight on what I need to do in the coming days and weeks.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
Doing westside and all that conditioning is gonna be a bitch. What made u choose westside. My thought is doin westside and mixing mma might slow u down. Just my thoughts. I know westside just not mma. I can see where dynamic/speed day would help but ur max effort day. I am just curious on ur thoughts. I hope to go back to westside in a few months or a hybrid version.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
What made me choose westside was my previous experience with it, my speed, endurance, power, strength, everything shot up. I love powerlifting, it makes athletes greater. The conditioning is something I am intelligently slipping in week to week, just enough to create positive adaptions and not enough to knock back my progress.

Specifically for grappling at the extreme amateur level (which I am at), power and the ability to hit high levels of volume can break other guys even at a somewhat higher skill level. When you are stronger, everything is a lower percent of your 1rm so its perceived as a hell of a lot lighter, the volume shoots endurance up, the ability to complete actions within a 60% range over and over again and the recovery time between doing that is something that non powerlifters/strength athletes can deal with.

On a side note its one of the reasons why I like MMA as well is because its mention and inclusion of powerlifting as part of the sport.

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
That's pretty cool and a great response. Thanks bro. Interested in seein were it goes

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
I've been pretty swamped with work as of late, I've been trying to reel things in so I can focus more on training. I'm finishing up a carb load and I am going to get to my conditioning and cardio stuff tonight. Most likely I am just going to go through a short period on the treadmill maybe a 10-20 minute walk then do a 4 minute session of tabata sprints on the ergo rower.

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
So a little update.

Work has been very productive and I'm making some good progress forward. I'm working towards the point where I can make more money and work less to focus more on my training. Diet has been good and I've been hovering around 190, recomping slowly but steadily.

My training has focused around the cardio and conditioning aspects and some technique drilling. I was offered an amateur fight recently for cash, but the weight class was at 145 so I told the guy that I would not be able to do a 45 pound cut in 3 weeks time. He's interested in having me however because of a few good words my sparring partners have put in and we signed some papers, basically what it boils down to is that I agreed not to take any offers for the next 3 months, if he gets something for me in either the 170 or 185 class I will take it and if he can't then he will pay me in compensation of not searching for another opportunity.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hey man, good to know you're alive!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic