Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Without getting political, what's this new tax?

K

kloan

Oct 8, 2012
I just moved here back in September, but due to some ignorant bitch at the Social Security Administration, it took over 4 months to get my SSN, even though I'm an American (born, not raised).

Anyway, I'm looking for work. I read the locked thread about a new tax, and people are saying they're paying quite a bit extra per pay check. Can someone explain to me what this 'new tax' is?

Is it the same across the board no matter how much money you make?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
It's not a new tax, it's the removal of a discount people were getting on a tax that was already in place. We had been used to the discounted tax and an extension was not passed so were back to paying the same tax as before the discount.

If this gets political I will just ban whoever starts it :)

M

mick

VIP Member
Dec 22, 2012
LK is correct. One administration ago the Social Security tax was decreased by 2%. This discounted rate was allowed to expire about the beginning of this year. So technically not a tax increase per se. But the bottom line is less take home pay.

K

kloan

Oct 8, 2012
Ah, ok.. thanks guys. I Googled it and a site stated 35% up to 400k, then 38% or 39% above that.. I don't see myself making anywhere close to that any time soon, so I'm not concerned with the increase.. but the rates that site showed weren't exactly accurate. I was thinking $0-$400k was 35% straight across the board, which would be insane... but I looked up the 2013 Federal and State tax rates and found what I was looking for and am relieved to learn taxes still aren't as high as what I was paying back in Ontario, Canada.

I just got concerned when I saw people posting they were paying $300-$450 more per month.. I guess those people are in a pretty high income bracket to begin with.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic