What's New?

Will ChatGPT steal your job? The 10 occupations most at risk

massimo1

massimo1

VIP Member
Dec 16, 2022
moneyreview.gr
Fri 03/02/2023, 13:51

Since its release last November, OpenAI's ChatGPT has been used to write resume cover letters, to write a children's book, and for several student assignments. Google found that in theory, it would hire the bot for a developer position if it could pass an interview, and Amazon employees who tested ChatGPT found it to do a "very good job" of answering customer service questions.

Of course, it has been found that ChatGPT can give wrong answers, make mistakes in basic math operations and spread misinformation.

So while a 2013 study by the University of Oxford found that 47% of jobs in the US could be done by AI robots in the next 20 years, in practice, things look different.

Anu Madgavkar, a partner at the McKinsey Global Institute, explained to Business Insider that human judgment is still required in these technologies to prevent errors and biases. "We need to see these things as tools to enhance productivity and not as substitutes (for humans)," he notes.

Business Insider spoke to experts to find the occupations in which workers are most at risk of being replaced by artificial intelligence:

· Technology (Coders, computer programmers, software engineers, data analysts)​

These professionals are in demand, but at risk from AI, because tools like ChatGPT are good at manipulating numbers with relative precision. In fact, companies like OpenAI are thinking about replacing some software engineers with AI. But Oded Netzer, a professor at Columbia Business School, believes AI will help coders rather than replace them.

· Mass media (advertising, content creation, journalism)​

Experts say AI like ChatGPT is good at writing content and can do it "more efficiently than humans." And that's because AI can read, write and understand data from text very well. Economist Paul Krugman has written in a New York Times op-ed that ChatGPT can do tasks such as broadcasting news and writing better than humans. Already, BuzzFeed has announced that it will use OpenAI technology to create content.

· Legal professions (paralegals)​

Like many journalists, paralegals are required to process large amounts of information, synthesize what they've learned, and then make it all "digestible" in a short text. Therefore, their roles lend themselves to automation, without this meaning that some degree of human judgment will not be necessary to understand exactly what a client or employer is asking for.

· Market research analysis​

Market research analysts are responsible for collecting data, identifying trends within the data, and leveraging those findings to plan advertising campaigns. These are things that artificial intelligence can handle.

· Teachers​

Teachers in English-speaking countries fear that their students are using ChatGPT to do their homework, but according to Business Insider, they should be worried that it will take away their work. According to experts, ChatGPT can easily teach a class already. Indeed, he has some gaps in his knowledge, but this can easily be corrected.

· Professions of finance​

Financial analysts, personal financial advisors and other personal finance jobs require the management of significant amounts of numerical data. Artificial intelligence can spot trends in markets, determine which investments in a portfolio are performing better or worse, and dig into company financials to identify investment opportunities.

· Traders​

Many trader roles on Wall Street and other exchanges may be affected by AI. In these positions, junior traders are usually hired as soon as they graduate and spend the next 2-3 years doing the work of a "robot", i.e. writing numbers in Excel and building financial models. This is something that AI can easily do.

· Graphic designers​

The rise of artificial intelligence is expected to hit those who are paid to create and process images financially, especially those who struggle to keep up with technological advances.

· Accountants​

Accountants are generally considered a stable profession, but it is possible that they will be affected by artificial intelligence.

· Positions in customer service​

In many companies, customer service is already a robot, but this trend is expected to expand. Gartner's 2022 study predicted that chatbots will be the primary channel for customer service for 1 in 4 companies by 2027.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
Skynet became self-aware at 2:14 a.m., EDT, on August 29, 1997. It's been 25 1/2 years, and those jobs still need humans. :)

AI is making a lot of progress, but we're not even close to where humans will be replaced except for perhaps call centers. And, honestly, I'd much rather deal with ChatGPT than a foreign call center with a human who has a poor grasp of English and a thick accent. Of course, if ChatGPT can't help, I'd still be transferred to one of those foreign call centers.

Friggemall

Friggemall

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2020
Can you edit that list to add engineers so I can retire for good this time? LOL

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Can it steal retirement? My job is eating, working out, hunting, fishing and playing golf.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
I do online advertising for a few small local businesses. Been using Chatgpt for the last month or so.
I dont think its quite ready to replace what i do but i will say it has made my job easier.
What would take me a few days to do can now be done in a few hours.
Its only going to get better so I can see maybe at some point it will put a lot of people out of work.
But ChatGPTs output is only as good as the person telling it what you want.
Garbage in equals garbage out so they're still be a need for people knowing how to get the best output from it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic