Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

When to start using a belt...?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
You see the tiny guys wearing them doing cheated curls...
The old men wearing them going deep on squats...
And some powerlifters sporting them during bench sessions.

At what point did most of you start using a lifting belt?

Was it after your lower back was injured too many times?

Was there a weight limit criteria you reached?

Was it an advantageous decision on your part to start wearing a belt?

(I'm thinking of the long term benefits and setbacks rocking a belt would give...)

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I would wear a belt once you get to 70% of your 1rm on Deads and squats. Bench is generally going to be if you go shirted! People wear a belt too often. You want your lower back to get stronger and wearing a belt all the time will crate a dependence on it and u will have a weak lower back.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I try not to wear a belt ever... If my back is very tired and I have to keep squatting I will wear it. It helps to stabilize the core by pushing your abs against it while holding your air.

On deads I have no use for it. And on bench I find it's a hindrance.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Lower back weakness is why I've never even tried one on before. My shit is messed up as is, so I want it stronger for the long haul.

Appreciate the feedback!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Lower back weakness is why I've never even tried one on before. My shit is messed up as is, so I want it stronger for the long haul.

Appreciate the feedback!

Good mornings... They'll strengthen the low back very quickly

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I didnt wear a belt for years when training. I am slowly starting to use one but only on heavy sets. If the yoke is above 500 and if my squat is above 275 . Not sure what that is percentage wise. I am with POB and dont get anything but a bad attitude out of it on deadlift.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
No belt for me. Maybe some day when I'm an old fart.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
belts keep you from getting hernias as well. It's not all about the low back. It's a preventative thing. It's like wraps and stuff. Why hold yourself back by not wearing a belt? Keeps you stable on your big lifts and keeps you from seriously injurying yourself.

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
For me it depends on how beat up my lower back is and what I am trying to train.

With a healthy lower back I have pulled over 700 without a belt. Right now I am working through a tweak in my lower/mid back so I belt up over 500.
When I squat heavy or whenever I squat in gear I also use a belt to give my abs something to push against. A thin belt just to hold my bench shirt down too.... but never benching raw.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic