Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Whats your opinion on my training?

Marchosias

Marchosias

Feb 6, 2018
I have been in and out of the gym since I was 15. in my teen years I just cared about getting big, in my 20s I had hit my peak. (with some help) I mostly trained heavy to look as huge as possible. 30s come along and marriage and kids and I loose my gains but maintained some. I have always listened to other people, stuck to programs and did everything based on valid research when it came to training. Once I hit 40 I got fat. I was 240 pounds and I am 5.11. So started something new. (new for me)
I train initially to max out to lift heavy. After I train heavy I go very light and finish with high reps till failure. I do this with every exercise. Honestly I really like it. I feel its what my body has been telling me what it wants to do. So here is my first post. Whats are opinions on training this way. In a year with this type training I dropped 60 pounds and the abs are almost there. I find myself more cut with my old gains still showing and I feel much better. In a nutshell moderate to high weight doing high reps. So whats your opinion on this training? I only ask because I see in the gym I am prob one of the only ones who train this way and I feel great !!!

two_slug

two_slug

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2012
So basically, you're doing a burn out set to end each exercise. I do them sometimes on certain exercises. Do what works for you and don't be concerned about what other ppl are doing at the gym. Hell, if I copied other ppl at my fitness center, I'd spend all my time taking up space sitting on a piece of equipment or bench playing with my damned phone.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Your training has no methodology, periodization, or flexibility.

dragnflies

dragnflies

Feb 2, 2016
I have been in and out of the gym since I was 15. in my teen years I just cared about getting big, in my 20s I had hit my peak. (with some help) I mostly trained heavy to look as huge as possible. 30s come along and marriage and kids and I loose my gains but maintained some. I have always listened to other people, stuck to programs and did everything based on valid research when it came to training. Once I hit 40 I got fat. I was 240 pounds and I am 5.11. So started something new. (new for me)
I train initially to max out to lift heavy. After I train heavy I go very light and finish with high reps till failure. I do this with every exercise. Honestly I really like it. I feel its what my body has been telling me what it wants to do. So here is my first post. Whats are opinions on training this way. In a year with this type training I dropped 60 pounds and the abs are almost there. I find myself more cut with my old gains still showing and I feel much better. In a nutshell moderate to high weight doing high reps. So whats your opinion on this training? I only ask because I see in the gym I am prob one of the only ones who train this way and I feel great !!!

Sounds like something similar to the "5th set" by Burns, Panora and I think Carroll. It's a great program, am hearing lots of great things about it. However it is a Powerlifting program.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
And yet you have lost 60 pounds and stated that you feel GREAT!
do what is working for you as long as it is working and switch it up when you feel the need to if you ever do, congrats thus far
If you are quoting me as some way of making a juxtaposition of how positive you are I would refer you to the thread title.

And what he did so far isn't necessarily what's going to bring results going forward.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
So basically, you're doing a burn out set to end each exercise. I do them sometimes on certain exercises. Do what works for you and don't be concerned about what other ppl are doing at the gym. Hell, if I copied other ppl at my fitness center, I'd spend all my time taking up space sitting on a piece of equipment or bench playing with my damned phone.
Have you been watching me?!

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
If you are quoting me as some way of making a juxtaposition of how positive you are I would refer you to the thread title.

And what he did so far isn't necessarily what's going to bring results going forward.

No juxtaposition, erroneous supposition on your part as I am not one of the little fag moral boosters, just stating the obvious it IS working for him and he is happy and feeling great in his own opinion, and it does sound like he has a method if you read the post.
What he is doing isn't necessarily NOT going to work going forward either, until it does not why do you feel the need for him to change it unless you are just attempting to show how negative you are:p

If you are looking for a bone to pick, look elsewhere I am not your man POB, he asked what we think of it as a group if he only wanted your opinion he would have Pm'ed you I believe.
Carry on

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
There is very little in terms of explanation to your training regimen. You go heavy and then light.

Are you going by feel? meaning what constitutes "heavy"? Is it's a % of your 1RM or a RPE or etc....

If it's working then keep at it and if/when it stops/stalls re-evaluate your regimen and make adjustments as necessary. The most important thing is you're not being sedentary. You're working towards your goals and you're being consistent.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
“Testing” is when you see where you are.
“Training” is how you surpass where you are.

I normally say this lifters who just want to max out all the time.

But it applies to you as well, if only because your cns and joints can’t take continual maximum output for extended periods of time.

You put the “training” in, no doubt, but possibly “test” too much. Although as BI said, it’s hard to know what you mean by “max out to lift heavy”. The same advice to have some periodization and taking the possible ego out of the lifts, still stands.

Just my opinion.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
No juxtaposition, erroneous supposition on your part as I am not one of the little fag moral boosters, just stating the obvious it IS working for him and he is happy and feeling great in his own opinion, and it does sound like he has a method if you read the post.
What he is doing isn't necessarily NOT going to work going forward either, until it does not why do you feel the need for him to change it unless you are just attempting to show how negative you are:p

If you are looking for a bone to pick, look elsewhere I am not your man POB, he asked what we think of it as a group if he only wanted your opinion he would have Pm'ed you I believe.
Carry on

I am not looking to pick any bones. But again you quoted me. If you wanted to boost moral than no need to quote me.

Finally, and I am repeating myself again ... he asked. If he just wanted someone to cup his balls and tell him he is great then don't ask for critisism. Not sure why that's hard to grasp.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic