Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

What's the best way to ask someone to stop dropping dumbbells?

Dnsvideo

Dnsvideo

Sep 21, 2010
I need your help. I'm a gym manager for a nationwide chain of fitness centers and I have multiple members who, for whatever reason, cannot resist tossing the dumbbells around, or dropping them after finishing a set.

I have asked multiple members to please stop dropping the weights, and each time, I receive a heavy dose of backtalk and attitude (because, you know, they're obviously the strongest dudes around /s). The reaction of most dudes to my simple request is always very negative, even though many of them are using 35s and 45s (not that heavy for intermediate/advanced lifters). Still, I have to keep asking them to stop, and at the same time, I don't want to lose members or cause the gym to get a bad rep.

SO, I'm asking you, my swolebros, for advice: what's the best way to approach this situation? How should I phrase the question? Is there a specific moment when I should be asking them? Your help is much appreciated.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
If you let them get away with back talk and attitude then you no longer manage the gym. Ask them politely once. The next time they do it basically call them out on how pathetically weak they are that they can't even control a 40lb dumbbell.

Heady Muscle

Heady Muscle

VIP Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yeah,
I don't get the dropping and slamming of weights. It is pretty much a childish activity (need a attention lil' boy? lol).

It is rare I lose control of dumbbells after doing a set of something. But most knuckleheads do after every set. What PillarofBalance said above is spot on.

I would look through the contract you have people sign and see if there is anything in there to use for leverage if it gets to that point. I would consider it misconduct if you ask more than twice.

Good luck!

DF

DF

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2012
They are potentially damaging/breaking gym equipment. If they break it bend it ect.... They pay for it! That simple or out the door.

i hate when the DB's get all loose.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
tough call....i see people do it and wonder why.:azzhat:

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Ask them if they are to weak to control the db's.
Seriously though explain to them it's damaging equipment and if it has to be replaced costs go up.
If that doesn't work as said above go through the contract and light em up.
I would never back talk or sass the gym owner/manager. Shows the amount of respect they have for you and the equipment.
Now that I think about it **** that do u really need douchebags line that in your gym. Kick them out

Mondo

Mondo

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2015
Post a notice citing that dropping dumbbells is against club policy. If you drop the weights, you will be asked to leave the facility. If you feel it necessary, discuss it with your GM for approval. If nothing is posted, you are helpless to coral the thoughtless that dwell among us. At the very least, if you are unable to remove them due to corporate policies, you will be able justifiably humiliate them as you point at the notice. I've done so in a commanding voice and it's rather fun and satisfying to see their faces, as everyone else in the gym stops their set and stares at them.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
We have a sign up on the mirrors in the gym stating if you have to drop your dumbbells then you are TOO WEAK to be using that weight. Now, the members call each other out and management doesn't have to do a thing.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tell them they are damaging gym equipment/property and must stop, or else their membership will be revoked. Tell them, If you can't put it down, don't pick it up.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic