Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

what to do...

F

flpl88

May 31, 2013
4 Weeks out from wpc raw world's and my pec gave in yesterday. This is the third time (2nd time on this side) my pecs have given a **** you to me right when I'm at the 2x bodyweight mark. I think this is a sign my body Doesn't like heavy flat bench.

I'm gonna give it a couple weeks but may end up doing dl only this meet. The question is for afterwards...

3 possible things come to mind:
Single ply powerlifting (never touched gear besides a slingshot)*
Raw DL powerlifting*
LW strongman*

My bw sits around 185 and I compete at 181. Expecting to pull between 570-580 raw at this meet

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Man I'm sorry about your pec.

That's so frustrating.

After the meet you could use the sling shot for a couple months and rehab it.

You could definitely go to single ply. The shirt will help protect your pec.

Either way, I think it just needs to rehab and you need some extra support: sling shot, or shirt.

I hope it gets better man.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Same shit with my damn adductor. Except I only screw mine up on my opening squat at the meet not in training. 2x in a row now it has wrecked my total.

I am going single ply for a meet in December and hopefully that helps. It's a dl only though. But I will squat in briefs.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Aggravating to say the least, sorry for the setback. I'm a 180lb also and those are very impressive numbers! Amazing accomplishments

F

flpl88

May 31, 2013
Thanks guys. I know shit like this happens to almost everyone at some point. I think my first meet was my only fully healthy meet haha. That would be even worse in a meet pob I'd just wanna go home lol

5.0 it's been a slow journey lol I'm not a master of getting strong fast. 2 years ago in my first meet I pulled 507 at 181. So maybe a 70lb increase in my dead over 2 years at the same bodyweight

I do have a pro strongman that lives pretty close to Me I could train with. I love overheads and deads so I think it could be fun. Only problem is there no pro card yet for the strongman "fitness" guys so there would be no end goal.

I guess it may be not be a bad idea to see if I'm one of the lucky guys who can get a huge percent out of gear. A slingshot adds about 45 to 50lbs to my bench

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Whatever it takes to keep you moving forward, even if that means staying away from flat bench.

My dl has blown up with 5-3-1 and I can only hope to pull a #500.

Keep us posted

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Wow.... a few thoughts.

POB - was it a 750 squat? If so, we're friends in real life.

As for coming back from a pec tear OP..... First off, especially since you're not an old vet dealing with nagging injuries, you need to seriously evaluate your training for bench. There's a reason to reoccurring injuries. Find yours.

Anything is possible. Take your time and rehab it. Come back really slow. Have it looked at by a doctor. A teammate popped his pec, said that it was 1/4" away from needing surgery. It bled out really bad.... in 3 months he's back under 135 and is just adding 10lbs a week until 315. At which point he'll go back to the conjugate waves that we've been doing.

Another teammate popped his a decade ago and never got it fixed. If you push on his chest it just feels like a gritty cavern and your fingers will sink in 2-3" where it popped. He benches a plate raw and puts on a single ply shirt. Benches in the mid 600s in it.

I don't see how a slingshot would help. Maybe a reverse band would a little.
If it were me I'd just go single ply so you can still be competitive, but either way you should take your time and rehab it, then look at what's causing it and fix that.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Unfortunately no porky. My opener was actually 25lbs less than last year at this meet where I originally tore it because I babied my leg so much and kept screwing with my technique.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic