Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

What do you do for Core Strength?

N

Nightmare

Mar 5, 2014
What do you guys do for core work?
I have a weak core and it's affecting my lifts.
I currently do alt. one leg bridge holds and plank and then on a separate day rope crunch and DB side bends ?

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I agree with RR, I have never done anything special and my core is strong as hell. I'm sure there are some peeps who have done specific exercises for core, hopefully they will chime in. Welcome :)

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Powerlifting specific? Reverse hypers, ghd sit-ups, good mornings, farmers walks (keep your core tight and flex your abs).

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Don't forget Olympic front squats.

You can add ab work but if you're training correctly your abs will be tested each and every training session.

I'd suggest you adding ab work in during your conditioning days.

Last edited:
monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Perhaps some from of anti rotation. Especially if you participate in any athletics.

HawaiianPride.

HawaiianPride.

Oct 21, 2010
I currently do alt. one leg bridge holds and plank and then on a separate day rope crunch and DB side bends ?

Yes DL's and Squats are great for indirect stimuli through compound contraction but you'll need more direct recruition. I see 4 movements here of which only one recruits anything from the rear. Your core not only consists of abdominals and internal obliques, but also the erector spinae, external obliques, longissmus thoracis, lower latissmuss dorsi and upper gluteus. Implement more hyperextensions, (or any form of lower back extension), hip adduction and abduction, in conjunction with DB side bends/rope crunches, leg raises, etc.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013

Try some challenging movements. Like hanging leg raises. If they are too difficult at first, just bring your knees up. Like everyone says, squats and deads. Weighted hypers. The movements you are doing are great for rehab or if you are very depleted. Otherwise your kind of wasting your time. Raise the decline bench a high as it goes and do FULL sit-ups. Rope crunches are for girls. As for DB side bends, I never do anything to the side whereas my obliques quickly overpower my lower abs. It's just not a good look for BB. However, if I did want to work my obliques I would do wood choppers.

DrMehta

DrMehta

Apr 5, 2014
Yoga once a week and I also do a 50 min streching and core workout.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Heavy rack pulls and/or pulls against heavy band tension

Squat without a belt

Ab wheel - do it on your toes, don't be a sissy

heavy kettle bell swings or dumbbell cleans

farmers walk

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I really think with MY training simply not using a belt until I'm at the top end of my weights has given me a strong core
I still don't use a belt for anything but heavy yoke and squat.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Really? I use a belt and knee wraps for db curls and seated calf

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic