Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

What are you giving up?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Whithout this going all political, what have you guys drawn the line on with inflation hitting us hard?

It's not much but I use to get a bag of hot popcorn that was like $7. I'll go with the flavored pretzels for half the cost. I'm also paying attention to the trips to the store to go easy on gas. If I need to stop at a few places I group them together. I also started working from home 1 day a weeks so there's a gas savings. I will not do without central AC but it doesn't have to be set at 70°. Glad I dumped cable for Hulu a few months back too.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Whithout this going all political, what have you guys drawn the line on with inflation hitting us hard?

It's not much but I use to get a bag of hot popcorn that was like $7. I'll go with the flavored pretzels for half the cost. I'm also paying attention to the trips to the store to go easy on gas. If I need to stop at a few places I group them together. I also started working from home 1 day a weeks so there's a gas savings. I will not do without central AC but it doesn't have to be set at 70°. Glad I dumped cable for Hulu a few months back too.
I am paying a lot more attention to large discretionary purchases. I was going to get a car 'upgrade' but decided against it a month ago. Decided to sell one of my cars which the market is still very high on. Hard to turn down the offer and would rather have cash on hand. Other than that, just being much more 'aware'. If need be we can tighten the belt pretty well. Daughter goes off to school in a few months and just got tuition bill due before she arrives. Does not feel bad to sell the car. It will cover all 4 years and more of her college and all 4 of my sons with money left over still for another toy and more.

Having lived though 2009-20013, I have been wondering when the time will come again.... Does not change much about daily life, but certainly dont feel comfortable sticking my neck out.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
For me, it mainly comes down to 2 major things....

1) Gas. No more 'impromptu' drives. No more nightly drives to calm me down and soothe me. No more "hey lets get the truck and take a drive to the mountains or coast today," stuff. It has to be more planned out.

2) Food. So I buy more pork shoulder picnic roasts, since they are $1.89 per pound. I buy whole chickens since they are just over $1 per pound. Red meat intake has gone down. Fish and seafood is nonexistent since it's rape prices. Less going out to eat. A little more ground beef compared to other red meat choices. Increase in beans for added protein with meals. Effin' protein powders are going up big time, but i still buy them for 1-3 meals per day...still comes out cheaper most of the times. I envy you guys who hunt your food! lol.

Then there is not running the air conditioner all day like we used to...at least where we prefer it.

fasttwitch

fasttwitch

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2011

So far, nothing. But I'm complaining a lot more.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
The only thing I changed is no more running to the market for one item. If I took out ground beef for dinner with the intention of making sloppy joes and I find out later I am missing an ingredient then I guess I am just making hamburgers instead.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Eating out. Me and the wife used to go out for late lunch Saturday and Sunday and I tracked it a few months it was like 7 to 900 a month. This is in 2019 and like many others didn't mind spending money out for fine foods and friends. Now in 2022 things have settled down covid wise but inflation is raging. The same places we uses to go are 30% more expensive terrible service and food portions are designed for the country of Lilliput in Gullivers travels.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Eating out. Me and the wife used to go out for late lunch Saturday and Sunday and I tracked it a few months it was like 7 to 900 a month. This is in 2019 and like many others didn't mind spending money out for fine foods and friends. Now in 2022 things have settled down covid wise but inflation is raging. The same places we uses to go are 30% more expensive terrible service and food portions are designed for the country of Lilliput in Gullivers travels.
Yes, I hear you. Higher prices and poor service.

I shop for bulk deals now more than ever. Costco and BJs.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Bonus points for a literary reference on a meathead board.

Who would win ... Lilliputians or Munchkins? Either of them could do an upskirt on Dorothy, but I mean in a fight, where both would have a good ground game?

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Man raising 4 young men put eating out in the rear view mirror a long time ago.

Anyone remember the All you could eat apps at TGIF for $9.99 pre covid? I could knock down 5 apps on any given sitting. The wife would get a salad or burgerspecial and with drinks be out the door for under $25.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Not sure if it was inflation that triggered me or my cheap side. Probably both.

Food wise I still buy the same stuff, prices have gone up and I spend probably $100 a week now. I’ve cut back going out for food. It’s to easy for me to get take out with so many options around me. I miss the all you can eat Chinese lunch buffets that used to be $9 for lunch, and $12 for dinner. I also miss the $4 lunch plates at Asian restaurants

Also cut back on vacations which has been really nice. So much money saved there. I also travel a lot for work, so it’s nice actually being at home.

I cut a lot of other miscellaneous things back. Like Amazon… lol…

Anyone cut coupons from the Sunday paper? I used to do that a while ago, could get $200 worth of stuff for $50.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Also cut back on vacations which has been really nice. So much money saved there. I also travel a lot for work, so it’s nice actually being at home.

Anyone cut coupons from the Sunday paper? I used to do that a while ago, could get $200 worth of stuff for $50.
I will still spend on family vacations; those are priceless memories my young men will have long after I'm gone.

As for coupons, they lost me when they started the E-coupons; technology and I do not make good bed fellows.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic