What's New?

What’s running out — topsoil?

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
What's running out:

If topsoil disappears, so do we.

According to a paper in the Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, soils have lost 30-70% of their organic carbon thanks to the plowing up of fields for crop production.

Soil holds 80% of the earth's carbon; 4X more than trees, 3X more than the atmosphere itself. If someone is concerned about climate change, food sustainability, or the human race at all, they should be concerned about our soil as it is the biggest opportunity to sequester carbon and continue to feed ourselves.
There was an article in TIME a number of years ago that calculated we have 60 years of topsoil left at the current rate of degradation.

https://world.time.com/2012/12/14/what-if-the-worlds-soil-runs-out/

While I don't think this number is accurate, I do think the implied urgency is.

Food production is a biological process that has turned into an industrial and chemical one at the cost of our health and the soil's.
Soil is like a bank, and crops cost a lot of “money” (in the form of nutrients from the soil). You can’t just keep withdrawing, you need deposits or debt...
Chemical fertilizers are like debt. And you need more and more to keep the party (high yields) going. But when the music stops you're left with devalued money (and degraded soils).
To restore the soils we need to restore biological food production where grazing cattle can generate soil (add "deposits" to the bank – a.k.a. manure). And as a bonus, they convert grass we can't eat into the most nutrient dense food that we can eat.

Well-managed animals contribute to food security, ecological function and livelihoods...Heavy reduction of livestock may lead to a fragile food system and societal damage.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I didn't know you subscribed to The Soil bro, good read

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
This and bee extinction.....https://utopia.org/guide/bee-extinction/.......and no, I'm not being sarcastic.
I hear the Dems are hunting honey bees like Clinton after an ex partner

Jayne Scott

Jayne Scott

TID Lady Member
Feb 7, 2022
I always knew Biden would be the death of us all. I'm with @monsoon

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
@testboner there is a documentary that talks about soil. Yes, I watched it. The world only has 60 growing seasons left before we have no more top soil. It’s definitely not getting any attention, and probably won’t until 55 years from now when all the politicians start asking how this happened.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
This and bee extinction.....https://utopia.org/guide/bee-extinction/.......and no, I'm not being sarcastic.
My gf's brother was studying Colony Collapse Disorder in grad school a couple years ago. We still don't really know why, just some clues and theories.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic