Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Weightlifting Shoes 101...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Look at my avi. That is the bottom position (or catch position) of the squat snatch. Notice how low he is. His hams are literally touching his calves.

Koncina

Koncina

Apr 10, 2011
For lifting i m using weightlifting shoes and for strongman events(tyre,conan,yoko,farmers,..) adidas stabilo.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
YouTube - David Rigert Clean and Jerk

This link shows why too those of you asking the question. Also, I back squat in my oly shoes without any problems. I do not take the wide stance that most plers take and, I do keep the bar higher rather than real low. As brother iron said, two completely different movements. As already mentioned oly athletes go ass to ground, thus requiring the positions mentioned.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Here's another Oly Squat...

Last edited by a moderator:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Reebok, based here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts is developing some new shoes... They've come out with a cross fit shoe and have brought in Mark Bell to help develop a powerlifting shoe. I'm sure this is mostly marketing bullshit, but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I was actually all set to spend a few hundred on a proper Oly shoe, but then I found an old pair of work shoes with a nice big wooden heel on them. So I've held off for the meantime and I thought I'd try them for a while and see how I go.

Seem pretty good actually!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I aint about to swap out my Adipowers any time soon. IMHO best shoe to do everything cept pull in.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
They've come out with a cross fit shoe and have brought in Mark Bell to help develop a powerlifting shoe. I'm sure this is mostly marketing bullshit, but we'll see.
I'm inclined to think that if Mark puts his name to something it will be at worst reasonably good.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm inclined to think that if Mark puts his name to something it will be at worst reasonably good.

I'm a little more skeptical. Especially since money will be involved with endorsements.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Yeah, I guess you could well be right.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
A teammate got a pair of the reebok crossfit shoes...... they seemed stable and have less of a heel than oly shoes, but still too much of a heel for a wide powerlifting squat.

I've had good success having people squat in oly shoes, but only if they lack the flexibility to get down in a flat shoe, and never for powerlifting. On the platform I'll take my old school adidas or PF Flyers over the 5x more expensive oly shoes any day.

The OP has it exactly right though - any cushioning in the shoe becomes instability and lost force when lifting. With 1000+ on my back I can feel the difference between a platform made with rubber mats and a plywood platform, I couldn't imagine what the soft foam of a sneaker would feel like.....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic