jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Women's FlyweightAlexa Grasso (c)vs.Valentina Shevchenko
WelterweightKevin Hollandvs.Jack Della Maddalena
BantamweightRaul Rosas Jr.vs.Terrence Mitchell
LightweightDaniel Zellhubervs.Christos Giagos
FeatherweightFernando Padillavs.Kyle Nelson

Top 2 fights look good but the rest, many of these guys do not even have wiki pages.

Grasso is the champ, she wants to stay so her gameplan will be grapple grapple and more grapple. Oh she is no slouch on the feet but Valentina is the queen there and will find a way to win if they stand. Compelling fight, is Valentina slowing down at 35? We shall see./

Holland vs JDM, this is a helluva fight. Holland has won 2 in a row since dropping to 170. One TKO and one sub. JDM is very similar although not as quick. he is probably more durable and has a good ground game. If it goes to the mat it will just depend on who is on top. Should stay standing and be fun.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Women's FlyweightAlexa Grasso (c)vs.Valentina Shevchenko
WelterweightKevin Hollandvs.Jack Della Maddalena
BantamweightRaul Rosas Jr.vs.Terrence Mitchell
LightweightDaniel Zellhubervs.Christos Giagos
FeatherweightFernando Padillavs.Kyle Nelson

Top 2 fights look good but the rest, many of these guys do not even have wiki pages.

Grasso is the champ, she wants to stay so her gameplan will be grapple grapple and more grapple. Oh she is no slouch on the feet but Valentina is the queen there and will find a way to win if they stand. Compelling fight, is Valentina slowing down at 35? We shall see./

Holland vs JDM, this is a helluva fight. Holland has won 2 in a row since dropping to 170. One TKO and one sub. JDM is very similar although not as quick. he is probably more durable and has a good ground game. If it goes to the mat it will just depend on who is on top. Should stay standing and be fun.

Yea, I think there is way more pressure on Valentina in this fight than Grasso, which is usually not the case. Grasso is pretty strong, and it helped her out in the grappling last fight, and she capitalized big time (but smartly) off of an aggressive Valentina mistake. Grasso will stick to the basics on what got her there, but she is improving a lot each fight, so she is always fun to watch. Valentina is my all-time favorite female fighter, so i'm definitely more biased, haha. She has not looked dominate in her last 2 fights. She got a questionable win over Santos, and then lost to Grasso in her next fight after that. THAT said, just like with the men, the female divisions are getting better by leaps and bounds, every year. It passes up all fighters at some point. I hope Valentina is working more on her ground game. She is good, but against bigger and stronger opponents (like Santos) she can get outpowered and maneuvered. Super excited for this fight:cool:

I've actually turned into a big fan of Holland. I'm not for a lot of the black shit-talkers and jiving crap, but Holland is funny as hell, and he sounds like a decent guy outside the right. I hope he stays at 170#!!! JDM looked like a super dominate rising star in all his fights, but he did not look that good in his last fight...against a guy who took the fight on short notice without much of a camp. If he shows up like that, i'm taking Holland to steam-roll his ass. If the prior JDM shows up, it should be a fun fight.

Holland screwed himself in his last 2 losses. I believe he could have beat Wonderboy in their fight, but he kept the fight standing for the fans enjoyment. If he would have taken WB down, I believe he would have won. He played 100% into WB's strength. Even mixing ion TD or level changes would have kept WB guessing more, but Holland went for the challenge to out strike WB....which almost nobody can do. lol. Then when he fought Khamzat, he made the mistake of going for a handshake and Khamzat just jumped on him. He was at a disadvantage from that point on. I'm not saying he could have been Khamzat, but he put himself at a huge disadvantage and it too played into Khamzat's advantage. What he may have been able to do though is survived through the first round. It looks like Khamzat blows so much energy in the beginning of his fights that he tires-out some by the end of the second round, and then the third round. I don't think he has ever been in 4 and 5 rounds? Anyway.....that's all what if talk, so....lol.

Rosas Jr. is that super young Mexican kid who got a contract by Dana. He's a good wrestler, but he got tuned up in his last fight on the feet against a veteran fighter. It will be interesting to see if he has fixed that at all.

I'm the same...don't think i've heard of these other fighters.....wghich i'm hoping i'll be surprised. Hoping it's some up and comers and not a bunch of guys with like 10-8 records:rolleyes: lol

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Great insight bro. Agree with all. I too hope Valentina still has it. Grasso has great boxing and great ground and top control. We shall see. Valentina does not seem like the type that would allow a hole in her game to stay once it rears up.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Women's FlyweightAlexa Grasso (c)vs.Valentina ShevchenkoDraw (split) (48–47, 47–48, 47–47)55:00
WelterweightJack Della Maddalenadef.Kevin HollandDecision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)35:00
BantamweightRaúl Rosas Jr.def.Terrence MitchellTKO (punches)10:54
LightweightDaniel Zellhuberdef.Christos GiagosSubmission (anaconda choke)23:26
FeatherweightKyle Nelsondef.Fernando PadillaDecision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)35:00

I did not watch it, so no commentary from me.

• Fight of the Night: No bonus awarded.
  • Performance of the Night: Raúl Rosas Jr., Daniel Zellhuber, Lupita Godinez, Roman Kopylov, and Charlie Campbell

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Women's FlyweightAlexa Grasso (c)vs.Valentina ShevchenkoDraw (split) (48–47, 47–48, 47–47)55:00
WelterweightJack Della Maddalenadef.Kevin HollandDecision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 29–28)35:00
BantamweightRaúl Rosas Jr.def.Terrence MitchellTKO (punches)10:54
LightweightDaniel Zellhuberdef.Christos GiagosSubmission (anaconda choke)23:26
FeatherweightKyle Nelsondef.Fernando PadillaDecision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)35:00

I did not watch it, so no commentary from me.

• Fight of the Night: No bonus awarded.
  • Performance of the Night: Raúl Rosas Jr., Daniel Zellhuber, Lupita Godinez, Roman Kopylov, and Charlie Campbell

The Zellhuber/Giagos fight was okay, but I missed most of it because I was in-and-out cooking my chicken on the grill. The same thing with the Nelson/Padilla fight. That Zellhuber kid may have a good future, he is tall and big for the division.

Rosas/Mitchell went at it, it was really fun to watch. It sucks that Mitchell did not get a bonus either despite losing, lol. Rosas looked much better in this fight, but it was quick in the first round. He needs to take his time climbing the ladder. Mitchell has a decent record, but is not close to a top fighter.

JDM and Holland was a technical stand-up fight...well, JDM was, and Holland did his usual stand-up mixing up kicks and strikes in his unique fashion. It was a close fight, I actually thought it could have gone either way, but i'd have to watch it again. Same thing with Holland....he has a good ground game, but he did not utilize it all. He went for 1 quick takedown or level-change, and that was it. He is good on the feet, but if he added in more takedown attempts and some ground game, his opponent would be guessing more and it would make Holland even more unpredictable. The crowd did not like the decision. I just feel like Holland keeps screwing himself by not opening up his fighting skills everywhere.

I'm surprised Grasso/Valentina did not get FOTN honors. It was a close fight. God, I could write a lot on this.

-That 10-8 round for Grasso for the 5th was complete BS! It is one of the worse scores i've ever seen by a judge for a round. There is NO way it was a 10-8 round. I hope they investigate what the heck he was thinking. Valentina dominated the first 4 minutes with the stand-up, she then went for a takedown and Grasso reversed it, almost identical to their first fight, like total Deja Vu. Grasso got her back, and then flipped her over into a body triangle. She went for a choke but was unsuccessful. So the round was finished strong by Grasso, for a whole minute, but no real GnP, and she did not get the choke.

Round 1 was Valentina
Round 2 was Grasso. She had a good round, but Valentina finished the last minute or so with a takedown.
Round 3 was for sure Valentina.

Round 4 was really close. It could have went either way, and i'd have to rewatch it. Grasso had the more dominate period in the round, but it was off of a Valentina mistake of the rules where she put her hand down to not get kneed/kicked, but because they were in the process of going back (somebody else can explain this better than me, lol), it was not in the rules. As a result, Grasso got some knees and punches in, but then Valentina regained control IIRC.

Grasso's punches were more effective in terms of power. Sort of like a Chito scenario, I guess. However, Valentina cracked Grasso open (I believe in the 3rd or 4th) with an elbow and thus there appeared to be more damage to Grasso. Grasso, outside of a solid shot in the 2nd, was losing every round, but she capitalized on a few of Valentina's mistakes....pretty much Valentina allowed to to score points due to her own mistakes....sort of, lol. Not saying that Grasso never got shots in, she did.

A few notes:
-At the beginning, Valentina looked more nervous than i've ever seen her. I think she felt the pressure. She settled in quickly though once the fight started.
-To me, Grasso appeared to be tiring out the 4th and 5th rounds, much more lethargic looking to me than the prior rounds. Valentina looked more tired in-between the final rounds, but in the fight, she looked fine.

-The 5th round, the 10-8 score....not sure how somebody could get a 10-8 round for taking the back of somebody for like 60 seconds or less, but then in the earlier rounds when Valentina did the same (more than once), it was not the same?

@jipped genes if you get around to watching this, i'd love to see your thoughts. It was a close fight though.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I read the play by play, people are up in arms about that last 10-8 score. Politics. Cannot have a Mexican champ loose on Mexican independence day right? So they gamed it,

Mike Bell was the only judge that gave a 10-8. I wonder how much he got paid?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic