Andre Petroski vs Gerald Meerschaert
Andrea Lee vs Natalia Silva
Karine Silva vs Maryna Moroz

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Thanks bro, I forgot.

Marlon "Chito" Vera vs Pedro Munhoz Fight of the night candidate here bro!

Gregory "RoboCop" Rodrigues vs Denis Tiuliulin This is an interesting fight. Robocop has a habit of having the crap beat out of him and coming back for the win. Denis is a brutal striker that has poor sub defense.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
@jipped genes I agree. This is a pretty good card. A lot of interesting fights.

I'm gonna go with Aljamain in the main fight. I'm hoping O'Malley wins, but if it goes to the ground, which I think it might, then it will be sterling all night. O'Malley is crafty on the ground, but Sterling will just pin him down and not do much, maybe go for a rear-naked choke. If O'Malley can keep it standing, then I think it will favor him....but that is a tall order. I am excited for this fight. I think Aljamain has more to lose than O'Malley, who can use it as a learning experience.

I'm going with Weili in the co-main. Lemos is used to over-powering and bullying her opponents. I was surprised to see that Weili was just as tall if not taller, and she is for sure a POWERFUL beast. I think Lemos will have to keep it standing and use her leg kicks and keep Weili at a distance, similar to how Rose did. I don't think Lemos has that ability, but we'll see. Excited for this fight as well. Win or lose, Weili brings it!

Garry/Magny is kind of interesting. I'm going with Garry, but Magny appears to be much taller, so i'm not sure how or if that will even play into things and matter. Magny is a veteran as well and has been in there with the best top guys.

Blackshear/Bautista. I am not sure if i have seen Bautista fight? I can't really say much except that Blackshear just fought at the last event and won easily, and he is undefeated. I'm interested in seeing these guys.

Chito/Munhoz!!! Yep, I am super excited for this fight. I think both guys need to win, so they will both bring it. Both of these guys are badass. Chito can beat anybody when he is active and not holding back. Munhoz is severely under-rated, I can't wait for this fight! To me, this could be the fight next to the co-main fights it's that good. I'm not sure why it isn't.

Undercard fights are interesting as Jipped noted too.

Weidman/Tavares should be a good fight. Tavares always brings it, win or lose. If the Weidman of old shows up, he should win handedly.........BUT....that is the huge question in the room. How will his leg hold up? How mobile will he be? How conditioned is he? Did he slow down and lose a step? How will he approach fights now? This fight is dictated on where Weidman is at, imo. Man, I hope he is healed up and can go back to his former days, but that is a huge order and wish right now.

Robocop/Tiuliulin. I don't know much about Denis, but RoboCop is really good if he can avoid the big blows from his opponents. He seems to get CRACKED, not I mean CRACKED, in all his fights. It's crazy in a lot of them he comes back and wins, but there are some where he didn't and some he got KO'd cold. If he avoids that, then we'll see. Excited to hopefully get down and watch the prelims!

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
BantamweightSean O'Malleydef.Aljamain Sterling (c)TKO (punches)20:51
Women's StrawweightZhang Weili (c)def.Amanda LemosDecision (unanimous) (50–43, 50–44, 49–45)55:00
WelterweightIan Machado Garrydef.Neil MagnyDecision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–24)35:00
BantamweightMario Bautistadef.Da'Mon BlackshearDecision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)35:00
BantamweightMarlon Veradef.Pedro MunhozDecision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)35:00

MiddleweightBrad Tavaresdef.Chris WeidmanDecision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)35:00
MiddleweightGregory Rodriguesdef.Denis TiuliulinKO (elbows)11:43
LightweightKurt Holobaughdef.Austin HubbardSubmission (triangle choke)22:39[c]
BantamweightBrad Katonadef.Cody GibsonDecision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)35:00[d]

• Fight of the Night: Brad Katona vs. Cody Gibson
    • Performance of the Night: Sean O'Malley and Zhang Weili
WOW! I would have bet my paycheck against O'Malley. I will not anymore, he truly is a sniper. Sterling's post fight interview was respectful and true as Joe said.

Weili just crushed Lemos, I still say that is a post op dude. Lemos landed a few good shots but just was never really in the fight.

Gary just destroyed Magny. He came out of that unscathed and with a lot of momentum. Magny will be on crutches for 2 weeks, I can tell you nothing hurts worse in fighting and nothing lingers longer than getting your leg beat up like that. This kid is a BEAST!

Vera vs Munhoz was a super close fight. I think it was simply the damage inflicted by Chito that got him the win. Why Munhoz did not shoot more I have no idea.

Tavares tuned Weidman up, Props to Chris as he is tough as nails, He too will be on crutches. Tavares's TD defense really shown

Rodriguez vs Denis, Once on the ground Denis is like a newborn Panda in the jaws of a pitbull. I like RoboCop!

Bautista vs Blackshear. Great fight. Blackshear won round 1 for sure, Chris Lee (1 of 2 worst judges in MMA) scored it for Katona. Was not a robbery as Katona won 2 and 3 but still how could a reasonable person score round 1 any other way than give it to Blackshear? I look forward to seeing both guys again. What a battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOTN $50K winners

Holobaugh vs Hubbard. Good fight. Hubbard won round 1. Holobaugh made the most out of the scramble in round 2 and that armbar to triangle transition was CRAZY good. Deserved $50K.

Katona vs Gibson WHAT A FIGHT! These guys gave it ALL. Again Chris Lee scored round 1 for Katona, which he obviously did not win. Things changed when Katona stung Gibson in the second, he wilted and just never was the same.

USMCRabi

USMCRabi

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2012
My picks last night. I thought O'Malley was going to lose (I still bet him to win to hedge my parlay) Great KO

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230820_080844.jpg
    Screenshot_20230820_080844.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 35
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
BantamweightSean O'Malleydef.Aljamain Sterling (c)TKO (punches)20:51
Women's StrawweightZhang Weili (c)def.Amanda LemosDecision (unanimous) (50–43, 50–44, 49–45)55:00
WelterweightIan Machado Garrydef.Neil MagnyDecision (unanimous) (30–26, 30–26, 30–24)35:00
BantamweightMario Bautistadef.Da'Mon BlackshearDecision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)35:00
BantamweightMarlon Veradef.Pedro MunhozDecision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)35:00

MiddleweightBrad Tavaresdef.Chris WeidmanDecision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)35:00
MiddleweightGregory Rodriguesdef.Denis TiuliulinKO (elbows)11:43
LightweightKurt Holobaughdef.Austin HubbardSubmission (triangle choke)22:39[c]
BantamweightBrad Katonadef.Cody GibsonDecision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 30–27)35:00[d]

• Fight of the Night: Brad Katona vs. Cody Gibson
    • Performance of the Night: Sean O'Malley and Zhang Weili
WOW! I would have bet my paycheck against O'Malley. I will not anymore, he truly is a sniper. Sterling's post fight interview was respectful and true as Joe said.

Weili just crushed Lemos, I still say that is a post op dude. Lemos landed a few good shots but just was never really in the fight.

Gary just destroyed Magny. He came out of that unscathed and with a lot of momentum. Magny will be on crutches for 2 weeks, I can tell you nothing hurts worse in fighting and nothing lingers longer than getting your leg beat up like that. This kid is a BEAST!

Vera vs Munhoz was a super close fight. I think it was simply the damage inflicted by Chito that got him the win. Why Munhoz did not shoot more I have no idea.

Tavares tuned Weidman up, Props to Chris as he is tough as nails, He too will be on crutches. Tavares's TD defense really shown

Rodriguez vs Denis, Once on the ground Denis is like a newborn Panda in the jaws of a pitbull. I like RoboCop!

Bautista vs Blackshear. Great fight. Blackshear won round 1 for sure, Chris Lee (1 of 2 worst judges in MMA) scored it for Katona. Was not a robbery as Katona won 2 and 3 but still how could a reasonable person score round 1 any other way than give it to Blackshear? I look forward to seeing both guys again. What a battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOTN $50K winners

Holobaugh vs Hubbard. Good fight. Hubbard won round 1. Holobaugh made the most out of the scramble in round 2 and that armbar to triangle transition was CRAZY good. Deserved $50K.

Katona vs Gibson WHAT A FIGHT! These guys gave it ALL. Again Chris Lee scored round 1 for Katona, which he obviously did not win. Things changed when Katona stung Gibson in the second, he wilted and just never was the same.

Man, I can't add much else, so i'll probably just echo what you wrote again, lol.

I can't stand Aljo, but his post-fight speech was pretty damn awesome. He does that a little more, and people may start liking him more, lol. Props to O'Malley, he avoided the takedown and stayed composed. His distance and ability to avoid good punches is phenomenal. Aljo seen that right coming and knew he was in trouble, lol.

Lemos was still deadly in the standup until the end, but that is all she had, and with somebody as experienced and smart as Weili, that will not cut it. She did do fairly well on the ground the first 2 rounds, avoiding damage, but she was still losing. Weili is just a freak. I think she is vulnerable to taller fighters though being so short and compact.

Can't add any thoughts to Magny/Garry. Garry is a rising star for sure. He and Wonderboy would be a great fight...but WB may be looking up the chain to a higher ranked fighter.

Bautista/Blackshear was a great fight. How any judge could score it 30-27 is beyond me. Blackshear CLEARLY won round 1, it really blows my mind. He just got tired and Bautista took advantage of it. I remember Bautista now. I watched one of his prior fights, he is a good fighter. Once I seen him I remembered. He needed Blackshear to fade though, so he got that in his favor. Blackshear should keep his head up, he is very skilled. Even in rounds 2 and 3, he was hanging in there, but he lost them.

Man, I had Munhoz winning round 1 and 2, and Chito winning 3. Round 2 was close, so at most, I had either guy winning 29-28. I don't agree with the two 30-27 scorecards. These judges really suck imo. Chito always inflicts more damage on his opponents, and then he comes away with nothing, lol. His jab was money the whole fight. He is so much bigger than everybody else too. Munhoz seemed fine with the results, he may have been a little too humble, imo. YES, I agree with you @jipped genes, about Munhoz not going for more takedowns and level changes in the fight. Even if he would not have taken Chito down, it would have kept him guessing a little more. He made a RoboCop error imo. He needs to utilize his ground game WAY more. In the end, it was a very good technical fight.

Man, poor Weidman. He just did not look the same. There were glimpses when he went for it standing up, but without any takedowns, which is his bread and butter, he fell right into Tavares's fight game. Props to Tavares's TD defense, it was phenomenal.

Flippin' RoboCop finally mixed it up and fought with his strength, which is his worldclass jiujitsu! I love watching this guy fight, he just needs to play it a little safer on the standup and mix it up, and then take it to the ground when he can. He has a ton of potential, hopefully he works up a winning streak now.

It was a really good night of fights!

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I think the fight to keep an eye on in the future will be Weili vs Suarez.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
BMJ, you are correct about Munhoz TDs, it only helps your striking. Makes guys think before coming into range and allows you to go first. I was not mad with this decision.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic