Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Trying a different approach to 'bulking" Bumping FAT NOT CARBS (NOT a F.I.S.T. thread)

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Hey guys, thought I would share something I am doing and try to bump some of the garbage threads down. (he has almost 90% of the threads in this sub section on the first page)

I am trying something different. First off, what I am doing is FAR FAR from the most effective way of doing things. There is no doubt that tracking and planning is BY FAR the most effective way to run a surplus (or deficit for that matter). I usually would run a structured 250-300cal surplus with very tight tracking.

So why am I not doing that?... Well first, I am lazy right now. Yep....I am not motivated enough to want to have to put that much effort into my eating. (hey at least I am honest)
wink.gif
. So....I am OK with the more laid back approach. (but again freely admitting it is FAR less effective).

So....in the past I have run my surpluses with adding carbs to get the extra cals. I would often hit 500g in carbs alone. That was great, but I would blow the hell up eating that amount. It was also hard to eat that much in carbs (for me). This winter surplus, I am doing things different. I am switching my proteins to more fatty cuts, I am also adding coconut oil to many of my meals. I am taking the opportunity to use butter when ever I can...etc. (Even thinking about swapping 1% for whole milk, but trying these other things first) These may seem like small changes but should easily account for a 200-300 cal surplus which is what I am looking for.

I have been doing this for almost 3 weeks now and I have filled out nicely (I still bumped my carbs), but not getting 'bloated' as I would in the past. Joints are feeling better, scale is up about 7lbs already. (increased water/glycogen responsible for most of the initial bump). I am going to run this 'shotgun' approach for a while and see how it goes.

This is completely different than the way I would normally approach it, and AGAIN, I know this is a way less effective way to approach it, but I am just looking for a laid-back surplus. I would never recommend this to anyone as I may just end up spinning my wheels and picking up more fat than I would like. (will have to wait and see how it goes). Really it is an experiment on two fronts. Adding cals with fats, and instinctive overeating. We will see how it goes.

Example from my lunch today. I ate about an extra 350-400cals in fats from butter and coconut oil.

Here is one of my favorite ways to ingest some butter ;). I cut a good sized potato into 1/8" slices (but do NOT go all the way through). I put 2 tbs of butter on it and microwave for 2 min. Butter will all be melted. Then you take and baste the potato and pry open each slice and dump the butter in. I then put in for another 2 min. Take out one more time and base and put back for a min or two depending on done-ness. Salt/pepper and it is great. As you peel each slice off, I sop the butter up and by the time I am done, all 2tbs are eaten.....and it is good! Can also do in the oven but it takes about an hour. (they actually come out better in the oven but this is really good too).

For protein, I ate 8oz chicken breast marinated in ground chilis, soy sauce, and a few dashes of liquid smoke. I cooked it in coconut oil.....yum! I also add some potassium chloride (salt substitute) to balance out the sodium in the dish. (something I have been using for a while now)

2014-11-04130714_zps4ebabd86.jpg

2014-11-04131830_zps57cce089.jpg

2014-11-04132822_zps93c7822b.jpg

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Fat makes life worth living.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
POB only posted because he likes potatoes

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
mmmmmm butter.

Thanks for breaking up the monotony.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
ground chilies and liquid smoke... That sound like a nice combo... i too use coconut oil in my frying endeavors... makes eggs fry up nice and light...

B

Brianlyndon

Jan 12, 2014
Grass fed cows for your butter source is the way to go KERRYGOLD

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
A really good high quality olive oil can be taken by the table spoon or shot glass to force some extra fat calories.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
A really good high quality olive oil can be taken by the table spoon or shot glass to force some extra fat calories.

Back in my 20's doing a CKD diet, I did not have a lot of money for food. (was on my own for the first time) I supplemented cals with 'shots' of safflower oil. High vit e content thought to be good as well eating that many fats. I used to shoot it and chase it with diet soda.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
I like this idea. The extra fats should help with hormone levels too eh?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic