Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Trouble with my bench technique.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Let's start by telling you what I am doing then I'll explain the problems I'm having.

I am a straight path bencher. I have always benched this way as a BBer and it is where I am strong and comfortable. That being said, my touch point is pretty high, I would say its about at the nipples. After doing some research, I found that it is recommended for people who bench like this to create their arch more with their upper back as apposed to using the lower back to arch. This makes the highest point at the pecks as apposed to just below them. This is good news for me because I have some limited range of motion in my lumbar spine due to a herniation.

Here is how I'm setting up. I lay flat under the bar and lift my shoulders off the bench by doing sort of a bridge and holding on to the bar. I retract my scapula and set my traps down onto the bench. My feet are flat but as close to my hips as I can get. Then I push against the uprights with my hands further setting my traps into the bench. Then I push against the ground toward the weight keeping my traps locked in creating more of an arch.

Here is where I get into trouble. I want to keep that tension in my legs but my traps tend to slide up the bench before I can unrack the weight. Also, having my scapula retracted like this makes my arms so short I have a hard time unracking the bar. I tried taking a closer grip to lengthen my arms but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose? Anything I can do?

Thanks in advance,
GS

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm guessing it's a commercial'esque bench so you'd want to wrap bands over the top (length wise) to help give you bite so you can keep your traps in place when setting up.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
How about some flat therapy bands? I could tie up a couple of those.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yea man I know what you mean about sliding. I have the same issue. If you ever bench on a competition bench, the padding is real rough and you don't slide.

Sounds like you have a pretty nice set up.

Both issues that you have sounds like its the equipment, not the lifter. Do you have a workout partner?

This is an idea, and it would take some practice, but here goes. If your having a hard time reaching the bar with the retraction, try doing it with them in normal position. Then once you have the bar taken out, THEN retract them. It takes longer because you have to hold the weight up at the top longer. I used to do this setup because I was at a different gym and its a long story. It just takes some practice, but you can do it.

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion. The last thing is, are there any hard core type gyms in your area?

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
The only gym in my area that has competition style equipment is the local crossfit gym... Yes I have a partner. That will surely help. We haven't started PLing just yet. So far I've done this on my own. Can you really retract after having heavy weight on the bar? It sounds difficult.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Don't unrack the bar and then get set up b/c imo you won't. Get set and then have someone give you a lift off. For the bands, just buy some long bands so they are tight and thick enough so they bite and hold you in place. You could also buy a thompson fat pad and have it put on the bench.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
BI nailed it with his suggestion of using bands - that's what I do if I want to play nice.
If it's my bench, at a contest, or if I'm at a gym that doesn't care I use spray glue or spray fabric glue.... if the gym is commercial you can spray both sides of a workout towel with spray glue then just toss it on the bench when you lift. This just looks like a regular towel, won't leave residue behind, and avoids the stares when you take an aerosol can out in the gym and make a piece of equipment disgusting.

The Thompson FatPad is amazing and could definitely help too.

A little bit of the problem could be helped by having your liftoff guy take the bar out of the rack with you and then hold on a few seconds longer while you try to set back up whatever bit you were pulled up from the liftoff. That's what my wife has to do when she's not using a competition bench. IF the bench has a lower safety catch just use that instead.... or, ideally, find a few friends to help do a 3-man liftoff so they can take the weight out and hold it while you set up tight.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
That rubbery mesh stuff you line cabinets with works well too at creating a sticky surface.

Commercial benches suck ass

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
That rubbery mesh stuff you line cabinets with works well too at creating a sticky surface.

Commercial benches suck ass

Now that should be easy to come by. TG is going to wonder what happened to the kitchen drawer liner...

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I'm guessing it's a commercial'esque bench so you'd want to wrap bands over the top (length wise) to help give you bite so you can keep your traps in place when setting up.

I've used this advice as well with good results.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic