BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Tricep Training - Hitting All Three Heads

tilltheend

tilltheend

MuscleHead
Nov 22, 2011
Tricep Training - Hitting All Three Heads

When training triceps, many bodybuilders forget one of the most important considerations for this muscle group: namely, all three heads must be worked.

My favorite approach is to use a different exercise for each head, hitting it with lots of weight, few sets and high intensity. This allows me to train my triceps twice a week following chest and shoulders. Keep in mind that my triceps have already been warmed up during those two previous sessions. A common mistake among bodybuilders is to spend an inordinate amount of time on triceps; in addition, they do not work all three heads adequately. I feel that anything more than 15 to 20 sets is overtraining.

To specifically hit each head, I use movements from three different positions:
(a) with the humerus or upper arm perpendicular to the torso (lying triceps extensions); (b) with the humerus extended above and aligned with the torso, (overhead triceps extensions); and (c) with the humerus pointed straight downward along the body (triceps pushdowns).

Pushdowns work the outer, knobby head, and the other two work the belly of the long head and the underlying third head.

With all three, I use very heavy weight. After my triceps are warmed up, I do only two or three sets per exercise, with a repetition range of 8-10, with one or two forced reps.

Simple and straightforward. I won't say painless, but it's the best method for maximizing triceps mass and separation in the shortest time.

J

J_J

Mar 28, 2012
Did you know that the long head of the triceps is often referred to as a "lazy muscle" because it requires a lot of weight for that head of the triceps to really get activated and working when lifting weights?

I had never thought of it that way until recently when reading about it. Interesting design.

F

frances.bullock1

May 8, 2014
Triceps are the scourge of older women. Found this interesting and helpful. Seems I might be really doing it wrong.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
Did you know that the long head of the triceps is often referred to as a "lazy muscle" because it requires a lot of weight for that head of the triceps to really get activated and working when lifting weights?

I had never thought of it that way until recently when reading about it. Interesting design.

lazy head is actually lateral head. long head is easy to activate.

N.O.V.

N.O.V.

MuscleHead
Jan 24, 2014
lazy head is actually lateral head. long head is easy to activate.

I would have to agree from a personal standpoint.. my long head grows with a whole lot less stimulation.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic