Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Training Past 40

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Great replies guys.Thanks for the input and experiences.I am a stones throw from 50 and have learned over the years to read my body and have had to slow it down a bit to not only make gains but to avoid injuries.I teach MMA and feel that it is a HUGE part of keeping me fit and young,but even that has changed with aging.Dont get me wrong,i'll still keep some ass but have to get an oxygen mask afterwards.LOL

AJ,I completely agree with you about making easier gains now.I can also make drastic gains with much less training than when I was younger.I think the more years you train and the more your muscles get used to being stronger and larger,the easier it is to make them respond.Yes,its on a smaller scale than when you're younger but gains none the less.

DW,I know what you mean as far as peaking out and agree that you can only get so big or so strong.While you wont be adding 50lbs to your bench at 46 but you can still make gains in smaller increments.Especially if you take some time off as many of us don't like to do.I feel as you get older though,time off is a must.It really lets those old bones recover and get primed for the next training phase.

Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
I'm 47 and still train mainly to keep fit and healthy. As it takes me longer to recover I take 45 second pauses between sets and a 5 minute break in the middle of my workout session. When my body says its time I'm done

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for the reply MW.Great to hear from another old man.LOL

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I'm with you guys at 45 the injuries have stacked up and the last thing I want is to repeat of a couple of somewhat horrific ones. I still have a difficult time with the days off but I do realize they are essential to not incurring another big injury and for the small chunks of progress I am making. I am stronger than when I was young without a doubt but I think what DW said is reality there is a limit for all of us, so what are you gonna do when you get there that is the question. I think with all of us here the answer is obvious, fight back like a sick ass seasoned vet and hold the line for as long as possible.

I also think the nutrition and training info gained over the last 40 years is benefiting all of us big time and helps us to keep going and holding that line.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
I'm with you guys at 45 the injuries have stacked up and the last thing I want is to repeat of a couple of somewhat horrific ones. I still have a difficult time with the days off but I do realize they are essential to not incurring another big injury and for the small chunks of progress I am making. I am stronger than when I was young without a doubt but I think what DW said is reality there is a limit for all of us, so what are you gonna do when you get there that is the question. I think with all of us here the answer is obvious, fight back like a sick ass seasoned vet and hold the line for as long as possible.

I also think the nutrition and training info gained over the last 40 years is benefiting all of us big time and helps us to keep going and holding that line.

Im glad to see someone agrees about what i siad...When u have people that been training over 25 years like myself and that person has reached his peak over a decade and maybe some more..LOL..I lose track ive been hitting it for so long...I dont know anyone and i mean anyone that has been lifting for over 20 years and still making gains...If anything they are maintaining ...And when they go on any cycle they put on a few lbs but after they go back down to the same weight...So ,some would say...Why dont u confuse your body..change the routine or reps ..swich to fast twich workouts to slow twich workouts...None of the change will help shock the body if that person has done everything in the world allready..The body doesnt forget...Now when we talk about power...I think its very possible to gain power which has no sticking point...We can see that its been proven by all your top powerlifters...Some are in there mid 40s and 50s and still gaining power.Untill records stop then at this time power has no limit.. dw

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
DW do you think that rather than age being the total key that years of doing this is a big part of it.You said you have been lifting for over 25 yrs.I am saying this because I started lifting seriously for strength when I was 30 .I am stronger by far now than I have ever been .I havent hit that point yet .I have however hit the point that I have to pace myself rather than go all out every training session.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Im glad to see someone agrees about what i siad...When u have people that been training over 25 years like myself and that person has reached his peak over a decade and maybe some more..LOL..I lose track ive been hitting it for so long...I dont know anyone and i mean anyone that has been lifting for over 20 years and still making gains...If anything they are maintaining ...And when they go on any cycle they put on a few lbs but after they go back down to the same weight...So ,some would say...Why dont u confuse your body..change the routine or reps ..swich to fast twich workouts to slow twich workouts...None of the change will help shock the body if that person has done everything in the world allready..The body doesnt forget...Now when we talk about power...I think its very possible to gain power which has no sticking point...We can see that its been proven by all your top powerlifters...Some are in there mid 40s and 50s and still gaining power.Untill records stop then at this time power has no limit.. dw

DW,I dont think anyone was disagreeing with you at all.I know I wasnt.But making gains doesn't just mean size gains.As you said,you feel strength gains are very possible.So,thats a gain.What if you goal is to hit more reps with the same weight.Very possible gain.What if your goal is to become more shredded?Also a very attainable gain.Thats all I was saying.Its still very possible to make continued forward progress,in smaller increments than when you were young.I've also been doing this for a few decades and still always try to make forward progress in one way or the other.Whether its maintaining what I have (which in itself is making progress since im fighting the clock) or reach a certain goal,its still doable.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Something tells me he knew what he was talking about...

Then:
bodybuilder-dave-draper1.jpg

Now:
Draper-side-chest-June2005-.jpg

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
DW do you think that rather than age being the total key that years of doing this is a big part of it.You said you have been lifting for over 25 yrs.I am saying this because I started lifting seriously for strength when I was 30 .I am stronger by far now than I have ever been .I havent hit that point yet .I have however hit the point that I have to pace myself rather than go all out every training session.
Yes i BELEIEVE that its a matter of years ...Sometimes down the line we all hit that peaking point...nce that happens game is over..Now as far as power ..As of right now i see no sticking point untill records stop being beat.When ever i read about people making gains..What kind of gains are they talkin about?....Gains to me are considered a done deal...Not nothing that comes and goes...But yes RR the humna body can only go so far unless science comes up with some kind of super drug that will change the facts for what they really are...dw

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
Something tells me he knew what he was talking about...

Then:
bodybuilder-dave-draper1.jpg

Now:
Draper-side-chest-June2005-.jpg

He doesnt look any bigger to me...He might have gained just a few lbs of muscle...But i can tell u he has done a SUPER JOD of maintaining..An that alone takes alot of effort as much as gaining muscle...dw

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic