Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Tommy Morrison, former heavyweight champion, dies at 44

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Tommy Morrison, the power-punching heavyweight with the charismatic smile and movie-star good looks, died late Sunday in an Omaha, Neb., hospital. He was 44.

No official cause of death was released, but Morrison's wife, Trisha, told MMADirt.com that he died of respiratory and metabolic acidosis and multiple organ failure. She said Morrison had Miller Fisher Syndrome/Guillain Barre Syndrome.

But Morrison was discovered to be HIV positive prior to a scheduled February 1996 bout with Arthur Weathers in Las Vegas, when he was 27. His mother, Diana, told ESPN.com's Elizabeth Merrill last month that her son was dying of AIDS.

Morrison's longtime promoter, Tony Holden, confirmed the death to the Tulsa World, but declined to speculate on cause. Last month, Merrill wrote a compelling story about Morrison in which she noted his mother, Diana, believed his death was near.

According to that Aug. 23 ESPN story, Morrison was being kept alive with a feeding tube and a ventilator.

Rfagazzi

Rfagazzi

MuscleHead
Mar 15, 2012
I remember wen he was first diagnosed with HIV. Horrible loss at the age of 44. God bless!

kid666

kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
Damn that is some sad shit...RIP brother

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
Crazy.

That's unusual to die of AIDS at 44 nowadays. The treatments are so insane that it's more of a "chronic illness" at this point than a guaranteed death sentence. He probably had other problems as well I'm guessing.

His story is sad as ****. So goddamn depressing.

The Dude

The Dude

Aug 30, 2013
The Dude remembers watching The Duke in the early 90's. He was the king of the left hook.

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
He was in one of the Rocky's if I recall....

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
I am curious to know if he really died of AIDs. He denied it for the longest time.. Either way, its a very sad story.. RIP!

The Dude

The Dude

Aug 30, 2013
I am curious to know if he really died of AIDs. He denied it for the longest time.. Either way, its a very sad story.. RIP!

The Dude saw an interview August 23rd in which Tommys mother said he had been bed ridden for over a year with full blown AIDS. He would not seek treatment because he was delusional and said he did not have HIV. He was on a feeding tube for a while and it showed a recent picture of him that was a little disturbing.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
The Original Tommy Guns... damn.... RIP

Hanzo

Hanzo

May 26, 2012
That's truly tragic. Always seemed like a nice guy. His bout with Big George is 1 I'll remember for a while.

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
I met him when I was younger he grew up in Jay Oklahoma I've got family there.

extremevet

extremevet

MuscleHead
Oct 18, 2011
How is it Magic Johnson is doing fine but Morrison dies of the same disease? I think it is about the money. If you can afford it you can live as long as you want. I am curious as to whether he was broke or not. Im pretty sure most diseases have a cure but there is no profit in curing people only treating them for the symptoms. I watched a documentary called the Gershon Method (could be total bs) but made me think about the profit and cure dilemma. Either way it sucks 44 years old is too young to check out. I remember seeing him fight Foreman.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic