Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

Thinking of going Raw to single/multi ply. How much increase should I expect?

P

philosophiab

Nov 9, 2012
I am a female raw natural powerlifter.
My sister and I have thought about trying gear, single an Multi.
What is a general increase range the respective gears can provide.

I am conventional/olympic and she is sumo/'powerlifting'. I have heard different set ups can benefit more from gear. I.e the suit may have better gains for sumo over conventional. If anyone has any thoughts, please share. Thank you.

If at all possible to reply with a similar structure
Single.
Squat - 50lb - 100
Dead lift - 50 - 100
Bench - 50 - 100
Multi .......

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Hello.

You can expect about a 15-20% increase with single ply. That also depends how aggressive your gear is. You want to start with easy to use gear. What I mean is you want to be able to touch your chest easy with your shirt and reach depth easy with your squat.

The dead lift suit is kinda optional. If you pull conventional, you won't get really anything out of a single ply dead lift suit. If you pull sumo, you might get a little bit of an increase single ply.

At the single ply level I wouldn't even get a dead lift suit. I have a single ply dead lift suit, and pull conventional and I get nothing out of it.

Multi ply is really a whole different game. I wouldn't really mess with two ply until you have used single ply gear for about 2 years.

Your joints, muscles, tendons, and CNS need time to adjust to the increased weight.

Inzer.com is a great place buy your gear from.

Also, if you get some gear, get some wrist wraps for when you put your bench shirt on.

I hope this helps.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Training in gear is different than training raw. There is no wiggle room with your technique and you need an experienced team to train with if you're going to lift geared.

P

philosophiab

Nov 9, 2012
I have the people if needed. I am just looking for numbers.
So approx. 15-20% in single , anything for multi?
Thank you Turbolag. It has helped.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Multi Ply can literally ad 50 % or more.

If you bench 200 Un equipped. Multi Ply you can probably bench 405-420

BUT....stay clear of Multi Ply for at least 2 years. Seriously....its very dangerous to make such a jump if you body doesn't have time to adjust.

Also, like Brother Iron said, for multi ply your technique HAS to be good. You can get away with mistakes in technique with Single Ply.

Before you use Multi Ply gear, you really need to learn to use your Single Ply gear REALLY well.

Also, if you make the jump to geared lifting. KEEP YOUR LOW BACK AND ABS VERY STRONG.

Hyper extensions and decline sit ups.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything like that. Geared lifting is a lot of fun and can protect your shoulders, chest and hips. Just make sure you take the steps to get the most out of your gear and body, and not get injured.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Some good and bad info already on here. I've competed in all 3, my wife has done only multi-ply. I train with a well-known team that knows geared lifting..... so please don't feel like I'm talking out of my rear.

In a nut shell - it's different for everyone.
It depends on form, your build, but most importantly your mind. Geared lifting is a very mental game. The gear doesn't magically add weight to your lifts. It helps but it's still you under that bar.
I've seen 500 pound raw squatters get in to a well broken in suit and briefs and not be able to handle the pressure, eventually giving up before ever going over 600.
I've also seen women like my wife, ( granted, we only train multi-ply. Our raw work is just for accessory and not a great indicator of our strength) - she squats somewhere over 200 raw but is a badass about form and can handle a lot of pressure. She's gone 505 in multi ply gear. She started in an old Frantz poly suit but within a year was in a full canvas with some crazy briefs. Her coming up right in to multi ply under the guidance of a good team helped her become a technician in gear.

Or, take a top tier teammate of mine. He squats close to 900 raw but doesn't like the pressure of tight gear so he's still in the mid-1100s.
Another teammate can bench 575+ raw, but can't handle tight bench shirts. Even multi ply he can't get over the mid-700s so he just competes in a single ply shirt and stays in the 6's and low 7s.
Another guy I train with is around 575-600 raw but is putting up ~900 single ply, more in multi.

It all depends on the individual.

The best thing you can do is to pick how you want to compete and commit to it until you learn the technique. Go find a team that knows whatever gear you choose and listen to them.

As far as ordering gear, the best thing you can do is to start by asking your teammates about old gear, after that look on the net for used gear. Used gear will be way easier for a beginner to learn.
If you do want to go with new gear you have lots of different options.
Overkill is custom made, so it takes a while to get but is the best you can buy.
If you want Inzer NEVER order direct, they take longer than Overkill even for stock stuff.... go through house of pain instead.
Same with Titan, always go with Ken Anderson. He's cool as shit, titan direct has crap service.
For MEtal go through EliteFTS

Good luck.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic