Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

The Truth About Alcohol & fat !

JTruthNutrition

JTruthNutrition

Jan 19, 2012
Client: I don’t know why I can’t lose my stomach, I train every day, I’m eating clean…

Me: How about the weekends ? Do you drink at all ?

Client: Yeah, but only a few pints

If i had a pound for every time i have had this conversation, i would never have to feed another note into a fruit machine in my life ! So what is the deal with alcohol, everybody loves it and everybody likes to unwind on the weekends with a couple of glasses of wine or 8 pints, 10 Jager bombs, 4 double JD & cokes followed by a tall glass of throwing up in public with a piss the bed chaser… but it’s the done thing !

Alcohol (ethanol) actually contains 7 Kcal per gram and an ‘average’ drink (double whiskey/rum/vodka, pint of beer/cider, tall glass of wine) contains 14 grams of pure ethanol (which, by the way – you can run engines on ethanol). So doing the simple math on that we are looking at 98Kcal per ‘average’ drink… not too bad… apart from the fact we forgot the sugar content of the beer,cider and wine or the mixer to go with our spirits. So now we are looking more along the lines of 120 – 250Kcal per average drink(depending on the mixer/drink).

Here is some food for thought, a bottle of wine is 750 ml and by doing the math you can work out that it contains around 560Kcal per bottle… okay so it doesn’t sound THAT bad… but it’s not great when the calories are made up of pure ethanol and sugar !

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
one more reason to not drink :D

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Calories aside its a depressant, anyone whos attempting to moderate body comp or lose bodyfat will find that alchohol simply retards the process, even if your not drunk or hungover anymore the metabolism take a little while to get back to normal, and for those of you on heavy orals and such, your liver surely doenst appreciate 1/2 a bottle of jack.

When I drank I had the hardest time making gains and keeping lean, when I stopped there was an immediate jump in my training performance.
A drink here or there is fine, but most people get drunk and that wrecks you.

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
I only drink bourbon! I used to drink everyday, and I do have to say I wasn't my best as far as physique goes.

Now I drink occasionally, but I only drink to a good buzz. I make sure budget the bourbon calories into the diet, too. It hasn't affected me negatively at all.

As long as you're smart about it, then it won't hurt you. In fact, it's a great stress reliever.

JTruthNutrition

JTruthNutrition

Jan 19, 2012
for those of you on heavy orals and such, your liver surely doenst appreciate 1/2 a bottle of jack.

I actually knew a guy on alot of Anadrol (oxymethalone) and he was drinking heavily at the weekends... he collapsed when out one night and spent a few days in the hospital for his troubles... and guess what... Yep, it was his liver !

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
What an idiot. If you must drink with orals, at least don't take the orals the day of your drinking..not like you'll lose gains.

Heavy drinking is stupid to begin with. When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about this great article:

The truth about alcohol, fat loss and muscle growth | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Really, the only time alcohol is a problem is the food you eat AFTER drinking. Drinking and not eating after or not eating for a while after is what will keep your physique from turning into crap.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
What an idiot. If you must drink with orals, at least don't take the orals the day of your drinking..not like you'll lose gains.

Heavy drinking is stupid to begin with. When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about this great article:

The truth about alcohol, fat loss and muscle growth | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Really, the only time alcohol is a problem is the food you eat AFTER drinking. Drinking and not eating after or not eating for a while after is what will keep your physique from turning into crap.

I find this to be true, I don't drink very often but I choose when I am going to do it and plan for it. Most people pig out after a night of drinking or eat like shit the next day to try and feel better from a hangover...BIG MISTAKE!

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
I find this to be true, I don't drink very often but I choose when I am going to do it and plan for it. Most people pig out after a night of drinking or eat like shit the next day to try and feel better from a hangover...BIG MISTAKE!

Definitely..on the nights I choose to drink I make sure to drink at least a half gallon of water with some lemon juice and honey in it, and take a B complex (since you piss your b vitamins out after drinking). Never have a hangover.

crowman

crowman

MuscleHead
Nov 2, 2011
I only drink bourbon! I used to drink everyday, and I do have to say I wasn't my best as far as physique goes.

Now I drink occasionally, but I only drink to a good buzz. I make sure budget the bourbon calories into the diet, too. It hasn't affected me negatively at all.

As long as you're smart about it, then it won't hurt you. In fact, it's a great stress reliever.

How do you know it hasant effected you negatively at all? I can definitely answer it has not helped you positively. In no way am i trying to be a dick but you have alot of room for improvement from your pick. Im not saying you look bad, just room to improve. So to be sticking up for it so hard on this thread really makes me wonder how honest you are being? Drinking "to a good buzz" could mean 5, 10 15 drinks it depends on your tolerance, weight etc. Im no angel, i do get drunk here and there but I know its not good for me nor would i try to justify it.
"Really, the only time alcohol is a problem is the food you eat AFTER drinking" again not true. It was just broken down the amount of calories and sugars not too mention the mixers. These are empty calories, not the same as a chicken breast so again i dont understand that statement.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Beyond that this is an awesome read What Happened? Alcohol, Memory Blackouts, and the Brain

Beer is from about 95 cals per 12oz serving to Sierra Nevada Bigfoot's 330 cals per 12oz, I don't think anyone has averaged all beers given the # of microbrews these days. Alcohol adds calories this is common sense, alcohol adds calories so factor them in and know your limit. as with anything else know the content of what you are consuming. If used in moderation beer for example does have benefits (polyphenols are the main reason). It's not as simple as calories. drink in moderation and remember they aren't calorie free.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Few people alive love to drink beer more than I do, but I'm on a serious cutting program, and now I might have two Bud Selects on the weekend. If I can do it, anyone can. Being sober isn't that bad. And I'm losing weight and getting stronger. If you are serious about this lifestyle, you have to make some sacrifices. It took me a long time to admit it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic