SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

The mind muscle connection and contraction

WidowMaker

WidowMaker

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2013
This topic is up for debate

The mind muscle connection and contraction.
November 15, 2016 by Kevin Simmang
Flex-Lewis-1-e1479238925487-650x350.jpg

Going to the gym and performing that killer routine you found on the internet or from a friend is all well and good, but how much good is it really doing for you?

The industry and fitness world has over the past decade segway’d into the performing of large major mover compound movements. This mean the active recruitment of multiple separate body parts all within one motion.

For athletic conditioning this is good yes, but it often takes the focus from true muscle contraction/ conditioning to general calorie burn which can have adverse affect on one’s goals.

Lets take the burpee for example, this movement is a full body exercise with a focus on the core, shoulders, and legs. Now on the flip side a lifter is significantly better off by performing a front squat to overhead press as the EXACT same groups of muscles are targeted, yet the motion is significantly less energy wasting and actually allows you to make the true mind muscle connection within the movement rather than just bouncing around like a ping pong ball.

squatpress

Building better bodies requires true contraction and making the mind muscle connection is critical to accomplish this. Well what does this mean? It mean find the muscles your trying to target, tone, or build and truly focus your energy into those muscles as to provide the most effective contraction.

Taking a good pre-workout is critical aswell as it primes the muscle’s to a conditioning environment receptive to hard work and recovery, not to mention the added focus from it.

So next time you touch a weight, take the time to really focus on what your working and slow things down a bit, because after all what’s the point of just going through the motions with nothing to show from it!

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
This is actually most of my training. I train based on injury prevention so just about everything is slow and controlled for me.

Slow and controlled makes it easy to make the connection. You know when you have it because the muscle being worked feels isolated with minimal recruitment from surrounding muscles.

I will have to change weight as the reps/sets go on to feel the connection. Lowering them a bit as the muscle tires will make recruitment from the surrounding muscles more difficult.

ogre

ogre

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2016
This is actually most of my training. I train based on injury prevention so just about everything is slow and controlled for me.

Slow and controlled makes it easy to make the connection. You know when you have it because the muscle being worked feels isolated with minimal recruitment from surrounding muscles.

I will have to change weight as the reps/sets go on to feel the connection. Lowering them a bit as the muscle tires will make recruitment from the surrounding muscles more difficult.
I train the same way.At 55 my body seems to rip and tear easier.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
^^^been having this same dang issue

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic