What's New?

The idea that one can get proper nutrition from diet alone is largely a myth

tilltheend

tilltheend

MuscleHead
Nov 22, 2011
The idea that one can get proper nutrition from diet alone is largely a myth
by: Tony Isaacs

(NaturalNews) One of the biggest health myths is the idea that a person can get all the nutrition s/he needs by simply eating a balanced diet. The truth is that it is next to impossible to get even the minimal RDA amounts of the limited number of vitamins and minerals on the RDA list, much less the amounts of all the many nutrients needed for optimal health from diet alone.

Decades of over-farming has left the world's top soils severely depleted of essential minerals. For the most part, the only minerals replaced have been those needed for optimal growth and not vital minerals such as magnesium which are needed for optimal health

Foods on our grocers' shelves frequently have had true nutrition processed out (and often harmful additives processed in to enhance shelf life, taste, color and texture). In many instances most of the claimed nutrition comes from added synthetic petrochemical vitamins and crushed rock minerals - which are vastly inferior to natural vitamins and minerals found in food.

This author has repeatedly challenged balanced-diet proponents to devise a weekly 2000 to 2500 calorie a day diet plan which provides all of just the measly nutrient amounts on the limited RDA chart. Thus far no one has come close. Keep in mind that in many instances RDA amounts of vitamins and minerals are merely the theoretical amounts needed to prevent deficiency-related illness. Besides the fact that RDA amounts are often far below the optimal amounts, the RDA list does not include literally hundreds of other valuable nutrients which we have evolved and adapted to utilize.

If it is so easy to get all the nutrition needed from diet alone, why is it that up to 95% of us are deficient in magnesium? For that matter, why is it that most of us are deficient in other vital nutrients as well - even those of us who regularly eat a so-called balanced diet?

Another related myth is the idea that doctors are good sources of information and advice about diet and nutrition. In most instances, mainstream doctors are woefully deficient in information about diet and nutrition. Doctors are taught in medical schools where the primary funding source is the pharmaceutical industry and where curriculum is controlled by the AMA. Not surprisingly, doctors are taught that the way to treat illness is to prescribe drug company medications and to perform mainstream medical treatments. What they are not taught is the vital role that diet and proper nutrition play in our health.

One longtime doctor turned naturopath told this author that during his entire mainstream education he had but one single lecture on diet and nutrition. Other doctors, including more recent graduates, confirmed that their educational experience was much the same when it came to diet and nutrition.

In the world of mainstream health misinformation about vegetable and fruit servings, a serving of a fortified "fruit drink" is considered equal to a bowl of fresh organic blueberries and an order of french fries is equal to a bowl of fresh organic spinach.

A good plan for obtaining plenty of nutrition to insure a maximum of good health and a minimum of illness is:

1. Eat a healthy and varied nutrient-dense diet with as many fresh organic items as possible.
2. Avoid junk foods, processed foods and inorganic meats - especially processed meat products.
3. Utilize supplemental items such as organic superfood powders and whole food derived nutrients to insure that you get all the vital kinds and amounts of nutrition needed.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
im not so sure that i agree with this. people lived for thousands of years without vitamins and superfood powders! heck, in biblical times they lived in to be dang near 1000 years old. :eek: there are people in their hundreds who i doubt have ever partaken of any supplements or superfoods. our bodys doing a pretty amazing job in making do and adjusting to what we feed them.

i think being smart and staying away from processed foods and fast food is a good idea. but i think enjoying food is part of enjoying life!

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
im not so sure that i agree with this. people lived for thousands of years without vitamins and superfood powders! heck, in biblical times they lived in to be dang near 1000 years old. :eek: there are people in their hundreds who i doubt have ever partaken of any supplements or superfoods. our bodys doing a pretty amazing job in making do and adjusting to what we feed them.

i think being smart and staying away from processed foods and fast food is a good idea. but i think enjoying food is part of enjoying life!

Sorry I call supreme bullshit on a 1000 yr old person EVER...the longest proven lifespan is around 120 years old.
The fact of the matter is we come in contact with so many environmental pollutants, things we dont even consider like the cups we drink out of or the plastics we put in our mouths, even the supplements we use that taking in some extra vtiamins and minerals is a good safe guard.
I have worked in the supplement industry for 12 years and I have read the literature against and for year in and year out and now even the medical community has broken down and admitted that people should be taking at least a multiple vitamin...especially during this time of year.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Sorry I call supreme bullshit on a 1000 yr old person EVER...the longest proven lifespan is around 120 years old.

The Antediluvians took a strong multi.

It really doesn't detract from the truth of the Bible just because you call it BS.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010

I think the article is strictly talking about the modern day and the processing most of the foods at the supermarket endure that strip vitamins and minerals from the food. In my opinion, I think people are just living way longer than we should be. This is an interesting subject to glance at: Lifestyle diseases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of my favorite quotes from a movie is this one from the matrix:
I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

If you think about it, there's a whole lot of truth there. Think of all the diseases we have nowadays that weren't present a couple hundred years ago. Look at the impact we've had on other viruses: We have essentially made super-viruses like MRSA. It could all be loosely viewed, at least on the part of viruses, as nature trying to correct itself. Instead of diseases being dropped from the gene pool, they continue to spread in society: that is not natural selection, rather, that is extremely unnatural. I think the human gene pool as a species is getting weaker and weaker.

anyone agree? disagree? thoughts?

edit: I just took this thread way off base, sorry. Not as bad as II with his bible comment though. LOL.

Last edited:
E

evanslw

Nov 27, 2011
I'm pretty on the fence with this also. I'm not sure what medical literature is starting to agree with supplements because most, if not all, that I've read has said that its unneeded and even dangerous. I do believe, however, that the extremely active people such as the members on this site need more and can look into a multivitamin and other supps. I'm very interested in studying this further though. Plus the required amounts are like doubled from the actual scientific need in the body. Even the minimum ones that they tell you have been added upon.

gentao

gentao

MuscleHead
May 16, 2011

you saying jesus wasn't healthy? the man rose from the grave, im sure good nutrition had a hand in that

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
The Antediluvians took a strong multi.

It really doesn't detract from the truth of the Bible just because you call it BS.

Look Im not philosophizing about the Bible, Im saying you show me some proof anyone 'human' ever lived to be a thousand, not just someones story about people that did.
Bible talks about a lot of things, and they are NOT all true, faith or no faith there is not 100% truth in the Bible, and this had nothing to do with the Bible, and it has everything to do with proper nutrition.

And Gixx I always loved that quote from Smith in the Matrix.

REK

REK

Nov 23, 2011
Look Im not philosophizing about the Bible, Im saying you show me some proof anyone 'human' ever lived to be a thousand, not just someones story about people that did.
Bible talks about a lot of things, and they are NOT all true, faith or no faith there is not 100% truth in the Bible, and this had nothing to do with the Bible, and it has everything to do with proper nutrition.

And Gixx I always loved that quote from Smith in the Matrix.

The issue with any scripture that has been passed down through the ages is it's stories and messages have all been interpreted my humans if you will (this is the word of god, so told to you by a human). And we all know how the human race can be, especially in the midst of war, famine, Apocalypse and of course political ambition.

Nothing against god or any religion, but it's the people who have given us what we read.

Cheers Rek

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I don't agree with the title but I do agree with some of the issues brought up. Is it possible to hit RDA values using food alone yes, is it harder than it used to be without introducing other possible toxins hell yes. Do I believe all RDA values are optimal? No, especially not for the average person on this site. Do I believe a "balanced diet" is the best approach for everyone? no.

We have easy access to many more foods than even our grandparents did (i'm talking foods here like fruits and veg not processed crap) grown in many parts of the world, many variables come into play here though as to nutritional value, how long it took to transport, if it was frozen, when it was frozen etc. I wouldn't say the ability to get proper nutrition from diet alone is a myth but the approach to doing so has changed just as the standards that define "proper" have changed.

Due to how hard it is to hit the #s I'd like to see though I do recommend a decent multi as a safeguard, we are busier than ever and getting enough produce into the diet is something most people are not used to so what's the harm in taking a multi which are low cost anyhow? I'm not huge on supplements but a few do have their uses.

I do hate estimations passed off as fact though, 95% of us deficient in magnesium.....I'd love to see what they based that estimation on.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011

I agree in general, but the part that hit home with regards to this is the over-processed soil and the lack of nutrients even in the "healthy" and whole foods ....comparing an apple now to an apple 100years ago we could see a vast difference in the density of vitamins and minerals ......

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic