Threads
Members
Latest Member
lk has no balls
mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Interesting concept, I picked this up at allthingsgym today. Has anybody used this method before?

The-Big-Texas-Method-Spreadsheet.png

Download:

• Link to Google Docs
  • choose File – ‘Make a Copy’ or ‘Download as’ (xlsx for excel for example)
So I was thinking ‘What to do after 13 weeks of Smolov?’ (get your Smolov Squat Program Spreadsheet here).

I wanted to continue squatting 3 times per week. So it came in handy that Chad Wesley Smith and from Juggernaut Training Systems posted the following program in a newsletter he recently send out. For ease of use I made it into a spreadsheet.

Update: He has since then renamed it to the “Cowboy Method“, which includes not just the squat program.

This is a 13 week program. He called it “The Big Texas Method”, because it’s also based around the idea of of squatting 3x per week, using high/medium/low volume days (2x Back Squat and 1x Front Squat).

They say it’s aimed for beginner/intermediate lifters who would benefit from more volume than the regular TM suggests.

Notes:

• Just like in the original Texas Method, don’t be deceived by the relatively light volume days. It’s the intensity days (Max Out Fridays) on which you must push for new rep maxes. As Justin wrote in his Texas Method ebook, “This “intensity day” is a gauge to see if adaptation occurred as a result of the volume day stress“.
  • Chad recommends doing small manageable jumps on your rep maxes on Fridays
  • about the suggested rest times… Call me lazy, but I will only take them as a guide and won’t freak out if I take 30 seconds or a minute more rest
  • Here is a Squat Walkout & Hold Explanation

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
This looks great! I like the rep work, and I'm looking for new programming. Honestly have no clue what to do

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
This is a common Oly squat routine.... back squatting 2x week and front squatting 1x week. I find it interesting that PLers are moving towards Oly lifting like programs. This layout works well for building strength and you can train all the lifts while squatting 3x week.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
This is a common Oly squat routine.... back squatting 2x week and front squatting 1x week. I find it interesting that PLers are moving towards Oly lifting like programs. This layout works well for building strength and you can train all the lifts while squatting 3x week.

How would you incorporate dl and ohp into that schedule? No bench for shoulder reasons. Thank you!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
How would you incorporate dl and ohp into that schedule? No bench for shoulder reasons. Thank you!

I should have asked... are you planning on doing any kind of pressing other than OHP?

You could press on mon / friday and pull on wed. That would be a bit sheiko'esque. If you want to press just once a week I would go with pulling on mon and OHP'ing on wed.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And if anyone is wondering what Oly lifting would do with that type of squat schedule they would snatch on Mon, C&J on Wed, and perform both on Fri. Now the sets, reps, and percentages would change.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I should have asked... are you planning on doing any kind of pressing other than OHP?

You could press on mon / friday and pull on wed. That would be a bit sheiko'esque. If you want to press just once a week I would go with pulling on mon and OHP'ing on wed.

Just the ohp for now. I appreciate the info. I'm looking into entering g my first pl meet in Aug and needEd some programming help. Monsoon and I are having a little friendly battle on ohp so I need to keep strong there....Atleast until 6-1

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Would you recommend pulling first on Mondays or squats always come first?

chestrockwell420

chestrockwell420

MuscleHead
Oct 9, 2012
nice looking program. ive decided this is the year i get my wheels back and bigger then ever. i have been doing legs twice a week and making saturday squat days. ill give this a try and will lift other parts on in between days. see how it goes.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic