Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

SUMO vs. Conventional DEADLIFTS

H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011
For whoever that incorporates both styles, are your lift #s balanced and/ or what do you see is the weight difference in SUMO vs. Conventional DEADLIFTS?

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
Re: SUMO vs. Conventional DEADS

if anyone wants to bring up any lift..allways train your weak spots ....dw

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011

i think we have a thread on this somewhere. but if i recall most people had a preference to how they pulled for various different reasons. numbers were always stronger towards which ever stance they prefered. so the sumo people pulled more doing sumo and the conventional pulled more doing conventional.

personally, i prefer conventional but i do sumo every once in awhile just for a change. most who do sumo seem to do it because it is easier on the knees.

H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011

I definitely agree with both of you. I am trying to train my weak spots such as my inner thighs, but I have grown to like the SUMO style and have surpassed my conventional max.

SUMO does not seem to be popular for a deadlift suit at all so I was wondering if there was a main reason for that or if just simply preference.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011

i think it is just personal preference, i find it awkward to do them that way. although i am liking squating better sumo. that also will help your inner thighs.

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010

I pull sumo because I have SHIT knees and my squat stance is wide as well, allowing my inner thigh to be pretty powerful- only makes sense to use it for deads.. Im also 6'3, so any way I can get lower to the ground to compete I will take that advantage as well... I pulled 705 about a year ago sumo...

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010

I definitely agree with both of you. I am trying to train my weak spots such as my inner thighs, but I have grown to like the SUMO style and have surpassed my conventional max.

SUMO does not seem to be popular at all so I was wondering if there was a main reason for that or if just simply preference.

its def a preference...But if u look at all your top PLs most of them use conventional...dw

AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

MuscleHead
Jan 5, 2011

I have found the opposite to be true amongst the higher level competitors that I know of in my area... they all use sumo. I prefer conventional, always have... hips never felt comfortable in sumo.

H

HammerHead

Apr 26, 2011

I have found the opposite to be true amongst the higher level competitors that I know of in my area... they all use sumo. I prefer conventional, always have... hips never felt comfortable in sumo.

Did they always train that style or switch over at some point?

My inner thighs became a weak point and I HATE lunges so I am doing Sumo to make up for it. I find it to actually be more comfortable, maybe its from all my years of hockey, or the fact that I am short so it puts me really close to the ground. :)

Last edited:
porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011

It's all about what you like best.....

I used to pull conventional. I did okay and hit 625 in a meet.... most of my team pulls sumo, so I gave sumo 2 years to see if I could make it work for me..... I hit 606 in a meet like that..... after not even hitting 6 in a meet the next year I made the call to go back to conventional and now am pulling over 700.......

Give both an honest try and see what you like best. I'm built better for conventional, and even with some of the best coaches in the country and some world class sumo guys helping me I never could make sumo work for me.....

Top end sumo 660, top end conventional 730+..... but I still work sumo once in a while to strengthen the hips.....

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011

What about a bicep tear on conventional?

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010

What about a bicep tear on conventional?

no diff from tearing your knee out on the squat...anytime your dealing with 100s of lbs the chances of u getting hurt will increase..Thats one of the biggest down falls to PLing....dw

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic