Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Style's of training??

Lenny89

Lenny89

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2011
What was your best training style and why? What gains did you get? What did you dislike ect??

I have only heard of few.. DC training, 5/3/1, Pyramiding, failure,

Sometimes do failure training seems ok but i know theres lots out there :)

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
I have tried quite a few and up until a few months ago never really tried a power lifting type program until POB suggested it.
I have since than been training with the program and I have to say I love IT!

Honestly the best strength and size gains I have consistantly made have Been from this program.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
I started a 5/3/1 program but only working out 3 days a week because I was coming off an injury and i've found it just works for. I only workout 3 days a week so it takes me a week longer to finish my cycle so I don't have the same need for a deload week.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
BB'ing, I made the best gains with HIT.

For PL'ing, IMO 5/3/1 is one of the best out there; if you follow it you can't really screw up. Have been running 'The Cube Method' for the last couple of months, really effective whilst essentially remaining a pretty simple concept/layout.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I have tried quite a few and up until a few months ago never really tried a power lifting type program until POB suggested it.
I have since than been training with the program and I have to say I love IT!

Honestly the best strength and size gains I have consistantly made have Been from this program.
Which programme are you following?

Lenny89

Lenny89

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2011
Anyone got the DC TRAINING excel spreadsheet lying around lol? I know I know use vets are gonna say lazy ect! I just want to have a look at it :)

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
For BB I found heavy duty HIT worked best on an experienced trainee who could muster sufficient intensity within the 2 set protocol

Currently I use linear periodization on all my main upper body lifts including curls and skull-crusher's , legs get GVT 10X10 squats with max 90 sec rest between sets, everything else I train "bodybuilding" style slow and squeeze stopping on a pre-determined number of reps just shy of failure .

B

Bambam2012

Oct 29, 2012
I like sft 7 training for bb. Example for chest. 5 sets 5 reps 30 sec rest first set inclines the last set should be able to barely get 5 reps. Do a few more exercises of your choice to 10-12 reps. I mix it up presses with dumbells, pull overs, dips, etc. last set I do pec deck or cable flys 7 sets 12-15 reps 30 second rest. At my 50+ age it made me quite a bit fuller and rounder on muscle groups.
Legs I do an intense workout every other week which includes squats 3x 10-12 reps, hack squats, 3 x 10-12 reps now the fun part. Leg presses 2 plates each side 20 reps, 3 plates each side 30 reps, 4 plates each side 40 reps, and for the make me puke finally 5 plates each side 50 reps. All about blood flow here. Oh and not done yet. Stiff leg deads and leg curls 7x 12-15 reps 30 second rest. That's every other week. Too damn intense every week.

Last edited:
Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
It depends on the muscle group I am training. When it comes to arms, chest and shoulders as well as forearms and calves I use a rest period of 90"-120" and focus on the negative phase of the movement taking 3-4 seconds to lower the weight and 1-2 seconds to lift it. For arms and shoulders I do no more than 12 sets and I don't go over 15-18 sets for my chest. I stick to the 8-12 rep range.

For my back I do more sets (around 16-20) with as heavy weight as possible but with longer rest periods (maybe 3 minutes) and preferably 6-10 reps. Same goes for my legs except that I don't do less than 10 reps as it doesn't have a productive effect mass wise.

I have also noticed that it's very easy for me to lose muscle mass from my triceps if I do many reps on them, work them often, push them with very high intensity or if I superset tricep exercises.

I also try to keep my form perfect instead of sacrificing it for the sake of lifting more weight.

I also emphasize on streching as I believe that it is a crucial factor in muscle growth.

Last edited:
AndroSport

AndroSport

Jul 8, 2012
I use a version of HIT training... not the standard Mentzer version.

I just make sure that for each body part I an hitting all 3 kinds of exercises: Mid-Range, Contracted, & Stretch.

I make sure my positives are 1-2 seconds and try to keep my negatives 2-4 seconds.

Keep my rep range from 8-15 in most cases (some larger muscles i go higher) because at this rep range is where you will tap into growing both the sarcoplasm and myofibrils type of muscle fibers.

This is not a powerlifting routine it is simply for muscle growth... strength comes with that but if your focus is only strength then one of the powerlifting splits is better for you.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I like sft 7 training for bb..
The concept of FST-7 I found to be interesting, I bought the first DVD and found it pretty cool. Don't think I could/would train like that all the time though ~ good to throw into the mix every now and then though. 7 sets of 7 reps with 30 or 40 secs rest in between is a great way to finish off a bodypart and really flush some blood into the area. Works well.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic