Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Stupid bodybuilding "secrets" that you've tried

cahemdue

cahemdue

Sep 17, 2010
I have to think the dumbest was drinking a glass of Alka Seltzer before a workout. I think it was Bill Phillips that wrote about ingesting sodium bicarbonate before a workout would reduce lactic acid build upin the muscle. Initially I was drinking Baking Soda mixed with water and some lemon juice and it was awful. My gut would be so bloated and I would just burp all workout then I read in Flex or some other mag about taking an Alka Seltzer. It sucked being so naïve about growing muscle and trying all of this shit.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I bought MuscleTech supps when I started. Only thing that got huge was the hole in my wallet.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I asked my parents to buy me cybergenics for christmas...

Reactions: DF
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I bought MuscleTech supps when I started. Only thing that got huge was the hole in my wallet.

At one point my stack was:

Breakfast included nitro tech and hydroxycut.
Pre workout cell tech
Pre workout nano vapor
Pre workout nano x9
Post workout anabolic halo
Post workout nitro tech

Not a single gains to be had. So expensive

Jimmyinkedup

Jimmyinkedup

Aug 22, 2012
Dextrose in my protein shake post workout. I actually did this one for several months believing that the insulin spike would force the protein to my muscle. What a crock of shit....and thats all I did BTW is shit. I used to crap my brains out withing 20 mins of chugging my dextrosse spiked Post WO shake.

DLTH

DLTH

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2011
Dextrose in my protein shake post workout. I actually did this one for several months believing that the insulin spike would force the protein to my muscle. What a crock of shit....and thats all I did BTW is shit. I used to crap my brains out withing 20 mins of chugging my dextrosse spiked Post WO shake.
This one doesn't seem all that wrong.

Jimmyinkedup

Jimmyinkedup

Aug 22, 2012
This one doesn't seem all that wrong.

Hey if it works for you by all means have at it. For me it makes no difference in gains or recovery or anything and it killed my stomach!
I know there are still some that support the simple carbs post workout to quickly replenish glycogen stores and to create the insulin spike. For me it seems that glycogen stores are replenished just fine without introducing all that sugar into my diet and no insulin spike I can create by eating simple sugar is high enough to create any difference as far as building more muscle.
I think if you are an athlete doing say a 2 a day practice routine or training 2x/day it may be prudent after workout 1 to quickly replenish glycogen stores but for anyone else the 24 hrs between workouts is more than enough time to effectively do so.
Whatever the case, for me the stomach distress is not worth it either way.

Mondo

Mondo

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2015
Weider's CRASH WEIGHT GAIN was the secret to looking like Arnold. Spent paper route money on it like it was going our of style. It didn't make me look anything like Arnold and I didn't gain any weight either!

Last edited:
enjoy_tren

enjoy_tren

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014

I still do this if i have calories i can spare (bulks). Although i dont notice any difference with it or without but its cheap enough i figure it cant hurt.

another one is bcaa during training. Not sure how helpful it is

Titan

Titan

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2010
Protein powders...not needed if you can buy chicken, beef and or fish.
Remember Phosphagen HP protein... better than steroids was the claim. Phoshagen HP is basically creatine monohydrate mixed with dextrose.
Expensive and for the most part worthless. Bill Philips, used car sells man/con-man.

All those Weight Gainers...loads of sugar...worthless.
Low dose HGH...only really benefits the 50+ crowd.
I remember a supplement called HOT STUFF...A powder full of different ingredients...it actually secretly had D-ball in it till the government found it and stopped that.
The government has for years tried to regulate or even ban vitamins and supplements to prescription only.
But to avert public outcry they only ban those things that actually work and do what is advertised, like AAS, HGH and Ephedrine.

The Physician Desk Reference (PDR) used by every Doctor in the US for years stated (past tense) in black and white that Anabolic Steroids do not build muscle or enhance athletic performance...true story.
The most poisonous supplement out and currently on the market is the food additive Aspartame and caffeine combination.
the all time worst additive is MSG.
MSG is the substance that makes lab rats fat...noting else will because rats don't over eat until MSG in given to them.
High Fructose corn syrup, MSG, aspartame and or refined sugar is in 98% of anything boxed,bottled, bagged or canned in the grocery store...and they all make you crave more carbs.
Refined sugar is in everything from Milk to the bread we eat. Try to find one thing at the store other than raw foods that is not full of additives or sugar...try it.
Even Orange juice is put through a process called DE-oxygenation that destroys all the flavor and vitamin c in the canned or bottled OJ you buy, they have to add coloring and vitamin C back in before shipment. Then of course they add loads of sugar that isn't in it naturally.
If it isn't pulled of a vine, tree or pulled from the roots and laid out in the store...chances are it has little nutritional value...even tomatoes are gassed to ripen quicker...Sad.

I use colloidal minerals because most industrial size farms top soil is totally depleted of minerals...Many claim that its not necessary but those same people claim vitamins are not necessary as well. Colloidal minerals come in liquid form and can be bought at GNC.

Last edited:
JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I remember when Gary Strydom told us that a workout without Weider's "Anabolic Megapak" was a wasted workout in Weider ads some 27+ years ago. :D

I first tried the Muscletech "stack" back sometime in 1997, maybe early '98. It wasn't long before people who I was around pretty much every day were honestly asking me what I was taking and telling me I was "blowing up", even though I wasn't doing anything else different other than taking the MRP, creatine, and the "Acetabolan". I even noticed my personality change a bit - I was already a hothead by nature, but I became a bit more aggressive and outspoken. I'm serious.

A short time later, I noticed that all of the Muscletech products got mysteriously pulled from everywhere - at least everywhere in my area (San Diego at the time).

Of course it wasn't long before MT was back on the shelves. "Acetabolan" was now "Acetabolan 2", and I think something else in the "stack" may have changed - maybe they'd added Celltech by that time or something. :D

But I didn't notice the same swelling up and the same added aggression the second time that I'd noticed taking the first "stack". I believe that the first "stack" was probably being spiked back then prior to it being pulled off the shelves - perhaps that first "acetabolan" formula was spiked with something.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic