Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Stretching/squeeze between sets

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Does anyone stretch the muscle between sets or while working out?

I cant remember for the life of me but it was a big name BBer or trainer who recommended stretching (maybe someone can remember for me). He made some good points that made sense. I stretch the shit out of my lats for the first 2-3 sets (talk about a burn)with biceps i contract a squeeze and hold it for about 15 seconds, on triceps i hit a tricep pose somewhat and hold it for about the same amount of time, same with pecs and quads.

Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Here is some info i found.

When you read this title, you’re probably asking yourself what this guy is talking about. If you are, then this article is for you for sure.

You probably take your workout routine very seriously and do everything it takes to grow your muscle mass. You train hard, eat right, and sleep well to make sure you recover for the next training session.

But you probably don’t think to stretch, right? Stretching is for the ‘yoga freak’ you think. Not at all, my friend! If you want your muscles to grow as big as you want, you need to incorporate some stretching in your training session. Stretching is essential for building muscles.

Let me explain why.

Every muscle of your body is covered by a tissue called a ‘fascia’. The fascia is like a bag and envelopes your muscles. This tissue is very important because it holds your muscles in the right place in your body.

But the fascia can limit your muscle growth. You muscles try to grow but the fascia stops the process. Do you know why? The muscles have no room to grow. It’s simple.

The fascia is a very tough tissue and does not allow the muscle much room to expand (grow). Take this example; you try to blow a balloon inside of another balloon. When the balloon inside grows and touches the second balloon, it will be hard for you to keep going. No matter how well you train and how great your nutrition is, the fascia will stop your muscles growing.

Stretching is your solution

Using the example of the 2 balloons, imagine if you can stretch the outside balloon first. It will give you more room for the inside balloon to get bigger.

By stretching your muscles, you will at same time stretch the fascia tissues. You will give your muscles some room to grow!

The best time to stretch your muscles and expand the fascia at the same time is when your muscles are pumped – that means they are full of blood. This is the perfect time for stretching because your muscles push against the fascia and try to grow.

For example, finish your chest routine with some incline dumbbells fly. Hold the position at the bottom of the movement for few seconds for a good stretch. This will really stretch the fascia.

Do not stretch when you are cold. You want to stretch when your muscles are warm. I like to stretch between every set. Stretching at the same time as doing your strength training encourages a better blood flow. This is the key for a better ‘pump’ and better muscle growth.

Hold your stretch between 30 to 40 seconds. To be able to stretch your fascia you need to stretch little more than just a regular stretch. But be careful not to pull a muscle. This is why you need to stretch when you are warm, and your body temperature is raised from your warm-up and from your workout.

Don’t forget, for better muscle growth next time you hit the gym, don’t forget to stretch. Try this for a few weeks and you will start to see a big difference in your muscle growth. Yes, stretching is for bodybuilders too!

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
DC Training believes in post set stretches.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I've been reading up on fascia stretching a lot lately an have been very curious about it bro. I'm gonna start getting more of it and and hopefully some foam rolling. I see the idea of what the author is talking about but I've also read and was taught in my cert class that stretching during or before strength training can inhibit your strength. But as most things in the BB world, this topic has plenty of people on both sides of the argument. I'm gonna see what it does for me personally. Because as mentioned with the flys, it just feels right and great to me to hold them in that stretch at the bottom. It's such a good burn lol.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Do you think it is better to keep your gloves on when you stretch :confused:

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Squeeze yes. I would do it more if people didn't think I was posing. I don't stretch between sets but I've seen Jose Ramond stretch his quads between sets and he's got some nice legs.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Squeeze yes. I would do it more if people didn't think I was posing. I don't stretch between sets but I've seen Jose Ramond stretch his quads between sets and he's got some nice legs.

I remember Steve cook talking about squeezing between sets and holding it almost all, if not the entire duration of the rest between sets. I'd like to give it a try. I can only imagine the pumps, the shock, and difficulty if the workout. Lucky for me, my gym is really small in a one horse town. Most of the guys that are serious train shirtless in there and flex, pose, squeeze etc. So I'd just be fitting in trying this method out.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Funny, I just watched the ad for Ben's C.E.P. training and this appears to be the idea. Is this where your coming from Raiden?

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
Funny, I just watched the ad for Ben's C.E.P. training and this appears to be the idea. Is this where your coming from Raiden?

Actually no bro. I was thinking about this topic today when i was working out and people were looking at me when i was stretching during lat pulldowns lol. But i will look into it.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013

You have a link for that bro? I'd love to check it out. Ben is easily one of my favorites.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic