Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Strength loss on observed on cuts may not be real.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
First I am speaking of a cut from a non-AAS perspective. I am on TRT though, but I cant speak to what cutting is like on cycle. It might be the same....I dont know but would like to hear for sure!

I have had this feeling for a while, (that the loss in strength on a cut (for me) may not be a real strength loss).

I hear all the time guys, and some with much greater contest experience then I have....(anything is more then zero! ;) ), these guys say they dont experience strength loss while cutting.

Man, I have tried high and low to not lose strength when I cut. I know some look at is as an indicator of muscle loss etc.

Well, I have some good news....For some (me included) this strength loss is not real. Well it is, but it isnt. I'll explain.

I generally lose about 50 lbs on my bench (or 12%). Nothing I do can stop this. It tapers off as I diet and will bottom out at about 6-8 weeks into a deficit and then just stay there. Losing 50lbs is a big deal. That means I am only repping 5 reps with a weight I would normally do for 10.

I took confidence in the last two times that I have cut, I experienced the same thing. I went forward with my cut knowing this would happen. Here is where it is 'not real'. I get all 50lbs back within 2 weeks of bringing my cals to maintenance after cutting. I actually made a thread about it. "How to gain 50 lbs on your bench in 2 weeks" was my joke.

Here is something even cooler. I actually made strength progress on my cut without knowing it. Yes I lost 50lbs off my bench during the cut, but now two weeks off my cut with my cals at maintenance I am not only back to where I was 13 weeks ago at the peak of my 'bulk', but I gained 5lbs on my bench. Bench computed 1rm was 409 and is now 412 (Marginal I know...but still and increase in performance). So I am now 15lbs lighter and at least maintained my strength for sure....even though during my cut, I saw a HUGE strength drop.

So for those that cut and freak out at thier numbers dropping, maybe you are like me. I would be interested to hear others experience.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
The amount of water inside a muscle cell has an effect on its mechanical advantage. Simple by gaining or loosing water weight can effect your strength. Secondly, muscle glycogen stores will be lower during a cut. This further effects your energy and strength. Once depleted, water and glycogen can be forced back into the muscle within a few days of hydration and carb up. What you are experiencing makes 100% sense.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
The amount of water inside a muscle cell has an effect on its mechanical advantage. Simple by gaining or loosing water weight can effect your strength. Secondly, muscle glycogen stores will be lower during a cut. This further effects your energy and strength. Once depleted, water and glycogen can be forced back into the muscle within a few days of hydration and carb up. What you are experiencing makes 100% sense.

I have to believe that this is what it is. What I dont get are some guys that cut for shows and say they experience little strength loss. Is it that I have a greater portion of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? Ideas?..

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
That is a good theory. I don't know the answer but maybe you can experiment with your water and electrolytes and let me know? Do you tend to get real flat on a cut? I also would like to believe that some compounds may work better to preserve strength through a cut. I can even see making some strength gains through a cut say if a compound like tren were added.

A

afton

Sep 19, 2011
Interesting thread as Ive been pondering strength loss in people cutting lately. Im actually on my first real cut, only three weeks in but my strength is actually increasing at the same rate it does when Im bulking. Not seeing any difference in my training. This made me start questioning why I always hear people saying they lose considerable strength on a cut and Im not? One theory I had is maybe others drop their calories too much trying to lose fat quicker, get too depleted and therefore lose strength? Im taking my time and losing about 1-2lbs a week, so im not that depleted. Carbs are still pretty low, looking at around 200gms a day. That was my theory anyway, dont know if its right. btw, not on any gear so this is talking natural.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic