Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Sterility thoughts/question

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Okay this isn't really a chemical question but it's related closely enough so I thought some of the brewers or people with more knowledge than myself could help out

I see a lot of labs have the exact same amount of oil in each vial, so I think it's pretty safe to assume they use some kind of premeasured pump for this like:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bottle+top+dispenser

Now lets assume the vial is sterile, the stopper is sterile and the oil is filtered/sterile.
They use this pump to transfer the oil from the filter receiver bottle to the vial it goes through this pump.
My question is, how the hell can this pump be sterile? Or is there a risk of contamination that occurs through this step with every major UGL and we just accept this? Or would any good quality lab have an autoclave and would that sterilise this pump and would this even be acceptable? (Although I doubt that many labs have autoclaves)

Any major UGL wouldn't use syringe filters and I can't think of another way for them to achieve a perfect level of product in each vial besides what I've listed above.
It's just got me thinking and wondering how sterile what we shove in to our bodies is... Even from 'trusted' places and good lab that are thinking they are doing the right thing

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
An UGL will not use some fancy type of pump, they use a 10ml syringe. The syringe comes already sterile.....Autoclaves are nice and used by many UGL's

Not understanding your last paragraph, filtering and filling up a vial are 2 completely different steps. Syringe filtering is not a preferred choice by most UGL's, its more for guys who make gear for personal use. A good UGL will not take any short cuts when it comes to being sterile.....

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Yep I understand FD and that's the thought I had recently, using a syringe...
But if you watch William Llewelyn's video where he gives a lecture about how the steroid culture has evolved, at one point you will notice that he is invited inside a UGL which he was allowed to take (limited) pictures. When filling the vials, the UGL uses a pump the same as I mentioned in my first post. This means not all UGL's use syringes AND this UGL was run by someone who had a background in chemistry (an actual degree). So it leads me back to, how would this pump be sterile? Or is this particular lab using an unsterile technique.

I can find the video if you haven't seen it, it's quiet interesting.

Last edited:
hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
I'm on my phone so can't watch the video but I believe it is this one:
http://williamllewellyn.com/?p=431

From memory where he gets shown around a lab is around 3/5th's of the way through

Edit: The photo is around 18 minutes in

Last edited:
Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
I wonder if a sterilising agent can be run through the pump before and after use?

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Yes that's what I thought Justhace, something like isopropyl alcohol might be used however this is by no means an effective measure of sterilisation and I was hoping something far better than this was taking place. Especially since if the wrong solvent was being used it would cause the plastic to degrade and minute amounts of plastic chemicals being found in the product we are injecting into our bodies.

B

Bonaparte

May 30, 2012
They are autoclavable and chemically resistant to even harsh acids. A pressure cooker will do the job.

P

PEZ

Nov 21, 2011
I wonder if a sterilising agent can be run through the pump before and after use?
They are cleaned and autoclaved. In an ideal case a negative pressure "clean room" is used also.

O

omegaironman

VIP Member
Apr 21, 2012
I'm in medical supply business. There are pumps that use a stretch type of tubing that wraps around a motorized wheel. Now the tubing is secured on both sides on top of the wheel. The wheel looks like an old water wheel. As the wheel turn it compresses the tubing in even spaces. Pulling it from one way and pushing it the other. IE from one bottle to another while actually never coming in contact with the liquid. The tubing is single use however but it is sterile. That could be used to transfer your liquid. It actually had an advance feature to fill the tubing/remove all air. Then It is controlled by presenting your ml's or cc's that you want dosed Or in this case transferred.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic