lk has no balls
What's New?

Starting routine for my 14yr old son??

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
^haha

I change my mind. Get that kid in crossfit. Watched crossfit games the other day, wow those guys are beasts.

nousername

nousername

Mar 30, 2014
You guys are hilarious!!!
Thank you all.
You guys were right, he wants to go more than three days per week. Which is good because I prefer 5 myself.
Eating will absolutely be the thing.
Wish I could have had a camera when I had him read you all's posts. Boy did he dig it!!!!!!
His dad's being a douche about adding a protein shake here and there but I'll find my way around it.
What is 5x5? Is that 5 sets for 5 reps? I wonder if that wouldn't be too much stress for still growing and still stretching frame?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You guys are hilarious!!!
Thank you all.
You guys were right, he wants to go more than three days per week. Which is good because I prefer 5 myself.
Eating will absolutely be the thing.
Wish I could have had a camera when I had him read you all's posts. Boy did he dig it!!!!!!
His dad's being a douche about adding a protein shake here and there but I'll find my way around it.
What is 5x5? Is that 5 sets for 5 reps? I wonder if that wouldn't be too much stress for still growing and still stretching frame?

5x5 = 5 sets of 5 reps. It wouldn't be to much stress b/c he should focus on form and not pounds lifted. Nothing wrong with 3x a week training b/c remember you grow outside the gym and not in it. If he wants to do more, have him pull/push a sled. It'll help strengthen his hips, knees, etc...

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I completely disagree about teaching him Oly lifts... He would need to find a qualified Oly coach and if you're in the US they're few and far between. Depending on where you live there are some very good coaches but if you're not in those areas I would steer clear. It's a great way for him to get severely injured. Oly lifts are the most technically difficult lifts to master. The Oly assiting lifts are much easier to learn and have the same degree of carryover to other lifts and sports.

Spot on sir. Both my 14yr old son and 16yr old daughter lift. First month was nothing but form work, body weight, then bar only etc. The ceiling is low with shit form. We stick to the basics, squats, deads out of a hex bar, benches pull ups etc. That is the meat and potatoes of our work, we throw in other sport specific exercises for my son since he plays hockey. My daughter jumps back and forth between power lifting type training and crossfit. FYI, I DO NOT reccomend crossfit unless your child already has proper form for movements AND, the coach is adequate, which is a rarity. Tuesday my son did deads, 5x5, squats 3x10, pull ups 3x failure and finished with air dyne sprints 5x 30 sec sprint 30 sec recovery.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Spot on sir. Both my 14yr old son and 16yr old daughter lift. First month was nothing but form work, body weight, then bar only etc. The ceiling is low with shit form. We stick to the basics, squats, deads out of a hex bar, benches pull ups etc. That is the meat and potatoes of our work, we throw in other sport specific exercises for my son since he plays hockey. My daughter jumps back and forth between power lifting type training and crossfit. FYI, I DO NOT reccomend crossfit unless your child already has proper form for movements AND, the coach is adequate, which is a rarity. Tuesday my son did deads, 5x5, squats 3x10, pull ups 3x failure and finished with air dyne sprints 5x 30 sec sprint 30 sec recovery.

Most don't know this but the Oly assisting lifts are just as effective as the classical lifts in building speed, explosiveness, etc and they're MUCH easier to master. Trust me... I know. Instead of snatching, try snatch pulls, snatch high pulls from the hang, low block, high blocks, etc. The same for Cleans. Instead try clean pulls and clean high pulls from the same start positions. And you can easily make low, med, and high blocks if you don't have any.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Most don't know this but the Oly assisting lifts are just as effective as the classical lifts in building speed, explosiveness, etc and they're MUCH easier to master. Trust me... I know. Instead of snatching, try snatch pulls, snatch high pulls from the hang, low block, high blocks, etc. The same for Cleans. Instead try clean pulls and clean high pulls from the same start positions. And you can easily make low, med, and high blocks if you don't have any.

Agreed, I have asked the guy who owns the CF gym we train at to have a technique class, limit size and work the hell out of the form. This guy is an accomplished lifter, master national qualifier oly lifter and I still tell him things to have his oly lifters work on. Almost all hitch at the knees or fail to hit the triple extension..... drives me crazy.

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
If I could go back..all basics! 3 sets per bp only to start. All whole food. eggs, whole milk, meat. recipe for success.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic