Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Squat Safety Straps...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Many on here, myself included, use Spud Inc. safety straps when squatting as a safety precaution. Well, I decided for my second set I'm making for SS I'd make my own b/c I know what it should be, hold, work, etc.. and I have a set to go off of... my set.

I was looking all around town for some safety straps to use as the base and everyone is selling 2" width straps which is just to wide. They need to be 1" wide so it doesn't cause issues with the bar when squatting.

Well, I found a site that sells straps that can easily be used for what I'm looking to use them for. You'll need to buy some chain, 4 quick links, and 2 screw pin shackle.

Here's the site for the strap....

1" Web Width Nylon Eye & Eye Sling Type 3-USCargoControl.com

Now, if you want to just pay the 100 bucks for the Spud Inc. straps then you can do that as well. I have a pair from them but since I know I can make my own at half the price I figured I would. I also figured I'd share what I found out in case someone else might want to make their own.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I don't know which is why I made this thread. He can make a set for 50 bucks instead of paying 100.

If anyone is looking to make a pair this will work the exact same. I'm going to make a set with the single ply since it has a vertical limit of 1500 lbs and even if you take half that number the set would be able to hold 1500 lbs since it's 2 and not 1. I wouldn't suggest it if I wasn't going to use it myself.

The Spud Inc. strap is 8' in length so pick up the single ply, 8foot length, 1" width strap from the site I posted which is 12 bucks. Then pick up the rest from home depot that I said you'd need and you'll be good to go.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
I didnt even see this before! I actually "made" my own but have not broken them out yet because I haven't gotten into the weight range where I think I could fail a squat again. I used two 15 rigging straps rated for 2,500 pounds a piece, two D-Shackles rated for something ridiculously heavy. been thinking of adding two half ton come-a-longs just for easier adjustment and moving back and forth between something like benchpress, front squat, and back squat. Also been thinking of trying them for rack pulls but I dont want to put too much wear and tear on them since safety is the main reason I put the stuff together.

Thanks for the link though, BI, if I decide I need straps that arent as wide I would get it from there. Would you mind taking a picture of what you got set up? I might have all the stuff you mentioned already but I might be used to calling the shackles and quick links something else.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I didnt even see this before! I actually "made" my own but have not broken them out yet because I haven't gotten into the weight range where I think I could fail a squat again. I used two 15 rigging straps rated for 2,500 pounds a piece, two D-Shackles rated for something ridiculously heavy. been thinking of adding two half ton come-a-longs just for easier adjustment and moving back and forth between something like benchpress, front squat, and back squat. Also been thinking of trying them for rack pulls but I dont want to put too much wear and tear on them since safety is the main reason I put the stuff together.

Thanks for the link though, BI, if I decide I need straps that arent as wide I would get it from there. Would you mind taking a picture of what you got set up? I might have all the stuff you mentioned already but I might be used to calling the shackles and quick links something else.

How wide are the straps you're using? I'm guessing there 2.5" wide. 2500lbs... wow. Well, you definitely don't have to worry about them breaking. Mine are 1" and they have saved my training partner when he was squatting and I wasn't there with him. He had a bit over 500 on the bar, he craned over, and then got folded but the straps caught the bar and saved his ass.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic