Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Some thoughts on 5x5 training

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
I started doing 5x5 training this week, and I am already sorry LOL. I was so used to the HST method and lack of DOMS that I am gonna hate 5x5...and I don't think I can squat 3 times a week like that LOL...I am so sore, I am uncertain how today will go. Maybe I need to adjust back closer to the HST volumes LOL...or just ditch 5x5 all together and go back to HST.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Bill Starr 5x5? That shit is for real. Maybe reduce the weight and stick with the reps/sets? That program is tough, you will be sore for a little while.

acon83

acon83

TID VIP Lady Member
Jul 6, 2011
yeah, doms is good...kinda. If you're not too too sore, go for it! you'll see great progress and changes from 5x5. Hubby did it for a while, and LOVED it! GL, and stick it out for a little before you give up. You can do it!!!

Also, you'll start to get les soreness as you get used to the new routine. GL!

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
LOL...I am actually kinda liking the DOMS after dl day yesterday...I haven't had my hams feel so nicely worked in a long time. I did notice that within the 3rd rep of my warmups on slds that my quads (which were still sore) got rock hard and stayed that way throughout the workout..THAT I liked :) I am not so sore that I can't function, the only time it really hurts is when my lil guy jumps on my legs LOL...and that is pretty painful...but just walking around and normal everyday stuff is fine (I even kind of enjoy knowing I have worked hard LOL). I am going to have to add a few accessory moves to satisfy my need for more stuff though, I don't know that I can be happy with a workout that is strictly compound lifts. I am going to keep at it and see how it goes :)

acon83

acon83

TID VIP Lady Member
Jul 6, 2011
Good job!!! Keep it up! Sounds like everything is getting major pumps, and you're working hard! That's how you build muscle!! You Rock!!

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
well i wont say i work to get "pumps".My goal is not muscle though.As far as accesories vs all compound lifts.I am not familiar with 5x5 . With what I am doing I tend to vary the accesories per how i am feeling.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
I started doing 5x5 training this week, and I am already sorry LOL. I was so used to the HST method and lack of DOMS that I am gonna hate 5x5...and I don't think I can squat 3 times a week like that LOL...I am so sore, I am uncertain how today will go. Maybe I need to adjust back closer to the HST volumes LOL...or just ditch 5x5 all together and go back to HST.
U can squat 3 days out the week ..Just skip thefirst week untill u heal and next time around u wont be as sore..you just have to get use ot it...Once your body get use to it u wont get as sore....Yourbody feels this way becuase its something new to it...More or less u shocked the body....dw

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
i loved using 5x5 on squat, benchpress, and OH press. didnt like it much for deads but i never have liked high rep deads.

i will second DW's advice(even though it stands on its own in every way!) it took some adjustment. i only squatted twice a week and deadlifted once. the first week was crippling, the second week hurt but not nearly as bad, the third week i would keep some weak ass DOMS but nothing too bad.

after that it was what else i did that determined wether i even got DOMS or not.

stick in there for a while.... if you dont like it ditch it for something else.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic