Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Smolov Jr program

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I've done it a couple times. I'm kind f masochistic about squatting though. At least I was when I could squat. I didn't make any more progress than I did with any other squat program though.

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
Bull blew up doing the same. I'm sure he will be around soon.

Reactions: 5.0
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you had shoulder surgery you should squat with a safety squat bar. That will take the pressure off your shoulder when you get tight.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
I know people who have done this for both bench and squat, and based on their feedback, I would definitely try this out if I had an upper body injury. I think Bull was doing the full Smolov? If so, that is something I wouldn't try ever haha.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
If you had shoulder surgery you should squat with a safety squat bar. That will take the pressure off your shoulder when you get tight.

They trimmed a couple tears in labrum, removed some bone, and cleaned out cartilage. No stitching or reattaching. Don't have access to safety bar but regular bar felt fine for now. Thanks for suggestion, wish I had one to use!

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I've done it a couple times. I'm kind f masochistic about squatting though. At least I was when I could squat. I didn't make any more progress than I did with any other squat program though.

Haha, it looks tough and enjoyable I'm in!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Smolov Jr.... Yum

I did it and turned into a freak. It increases all lifts even though you are only squatting.

Use the SSB like BI said.

It's hard but your legs will explode with growth.

It's easy to plan: Google smolov Jr. And the calculator will pop up. Take your one rep max and subtract 10% and plug in that number. All your workout poundages will come up!

Love squatting!!!

E

EastCoast1

Jul 20, 2015

Literally thought the same reading the OP. I don't know that this sort of volume/frequency is going to be good on a shoulder that just had surgery. It might feel fine but still sketches me out lol. Just be careful, and go high bar..

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Literally though the same reading the OP. I don't know that this sort of volume/frequency is going to be good on a shoulder that just had surgery. It much feel fine but still sketches me out lol. Just be careful, and go high bar..

X3

High bar, grip probably out wider than usual or wherever is comfortable. Be sure to work with a physical therapist through recovery as well if you ever want to bench again

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Much thanks for the responses. I already squat high bar and am comfortable with the wider grip so that's a bonus. When I spoke with the surgeon he said I would be able to resume lifting fairly quickly, I'm making p.t. appt this week regardless. Ive been off supps for 12 wks and don't plan to resume for a bit so my calculated numbers will low and safe. I'll go by my last heavy single pre-op.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Much thanks for the responses. I already squat high bar and am comfortable with the wider grip so that's a bonus. When I spoke with the surgeon he said I would be able to resume lifting fairly quickly, I'm making p.t. appt this week regardless. Ive been off supps for 12 wks and don't plan to resume for a bit so my calculated numbers will low and safe. I'll go by my last heavy single pre-op.

X3

High bar, grip probably out wider than usual or wherever is comfortable. Be sure to work with a physical therapist through recovery as well if you ever want to bench again

Benching has been a complete bust, pushing causes great pain. I've stayed on top of pt but I'm not sure any amount of pt will help with the arthritis have in there. Maybe after getting good back to work and using it daily will help

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic