jacobss
What's New?

Smoked a meatloaf

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Finally started using my smoker again after not using it most of this past year. Smoked up a meatloaf and some chicken breasts. The kids are picky so I just decided to make meatloaf sandwiches on the fly at the last minute, lol. I had to purée all the vegetables since my kids are so damn picky

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 39

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
What'd you use for smoke? I've done a couple with apple wood but didnt get good penetration.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Melt the cheese you savage!!

I read a bunch of smoked meatloaf recipes, haven't tried any of them lol

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
What'd you use for smoke? I've done a couple with apple wood but didnt get good penetration.
Apple is always a good choice. These days, I almost always just use pecan. It does good with all poultry, so since I am always cooking a mega-ton of chicken, it's my go to. I also use it for our Thanksgiving turkey every year too:)

I can never really tell a taste difference between any of the wood flavors, but some put a darker smoke color to the meat than others. Pecan does a nice good color on all the poultry, and does okay with other meats as well. I like cherry, apple, and hickory as well though.

I was talking to the guys at rec-tec one day, and they were trying to get me to buy their pellets, and I told them I had used them in the past and liked them, but also told them I just buy some of the cheaper brands. The way I look at pellets is similar to how I see powders or maybe even HGH. There are only like 3-5 powder manufacturers most people buy from, and I told him something along the lines that "I always think to myself that there are only a handful of pellet manufacturers that all the companies buy from, so many brands are probably the same." He was like..."Yea, you are right man." So i just get my regular pecan pellets from Walmart for like $9.99:D

Reactions: 5.0
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Melt the cheese you savage!!

I read a bunch of smoked meatloaf recipes, haven't tried any of them lol
Hahahahaha!!! I knew right when I put that up, YOU were gonna catch that and say something, lol! :D

My kid's sammies were all melted. I was so damn hungry by the time I got mine ready, I didn't even care, lol. We also had fries with them as well. I usually like to make mashed potatoes and gravy, but my kids are little shits and don't like M&G....damn kids:( lol.

This was actually my first meatloaf. I had wanted to do it forever, but just hadn't gotten around to it. Yea, there are a lot of good recipes I want to try. I was missing a lot of my usual ingredients, so I had to wing it and improvise and get creative, lol.....especially with the glaze.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Damn. I smoked a lot of meat and never thought of this (teed up for FD)

I may give this a try
It's really good man, give it a try. I just stuck it in at 275F and let it cook until it hit about 155F, then I added the glaze and let it cook about 20-25 more minutes. So it was around 160F right when I pulled it, but i'm sure the carry-over temp climber higher. I've found that if i overshoot my temps when smoking it's much more forgiving than if I cook it from like the oven or grill or pan (mostly all meats...thankfully, lol).

I was missing a lot of ingredients, but I needed to cook my beef so i wasn't able to take it over the top like I usually do. For me, the basics in veges are onion, a carrot, maybe a jalapeno, and half a red bell pepper. I do a quick pulse in the blender som it is usually chunkier, but I had to totally puree it for my kiddos, lol. Dry ingredients are just based off of whatever flavor i'm going for. I really like Alton Browns meatloaf recipes. I like what he does by grounding up garlic croutons. He has a revised meatloaf where he uses chipotle pepper/sauce for his glaze, and I want to try that bad. There are a few also from Malcom Reed, who I really like as well. I actually like the pioneer woman as well for a lot of recipes. But yea, so many different ones to try out, lol! Oh, and an egg as well, lol.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
For my chicken, easiest recipe ever. I think Pig Vomit mentioned this as well. I just clean my chicken up, then let them marinade in Olive Gardens Italian Dressing......except i use the cheaper Aldi's tuscan flavor brand. Throw them on my 400F smoker and let them cook. They come out money every time....so good.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Oh man, love the smoked meatloaf. I am like you. I use whatever is cheapest. I bought some expensive competition pellets and could tell no diff between those and the B&B I normally use. I cannot tell a real diff between hickory and pecan on a pellet smoker.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic