jacobss
What's New?

Slowing Weight Loss for Sick Person

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Interestingly, this review just came out in regard to protein intake, which will be of importance to him and his situation....well, that and overall calories. Lyle McDonald suggested the minimum should be at minimum, 1.5g/KG of LBM. This amount should be fairly easy to obtain, it's not like he will need anything near what we should be getting in.

I'd keep it simple, 3-5 meals per day, 1-2 of the meals maybe a protein drink, or even those Fairlife drinks, which according to most people, taste really good. They are fairly expensive though. If he has chewing issues, keep it somewhat soft foods, or as tolerated. Keep him active if possible. I mean, any kind of physical activity is better than nothing. At their ages, if they are not into lifting, they need things to keep it fun. Going for family walks or swimming, etc. Resistance training is a huge, long-shot, but even some cardio on a treadmill or stationary bike is better than nothing.

Add a mulit-vitamin, 1.8-3.2g of combined EPA/DHA, and fibrous foods to help prevent any constipation (not a lot where it interferes with nutrient absorption, or medication absorption, but enough to keep things flowing). Get fluids in, and make the meals taste good.

Nutritional Interventions: Dietary Protein Needs and Influences on Skeletal Muscle of Older Adults​

Abstract​

Background: This narrative review describes foundational and emerging evidence of how dietary protein intakes may influence muscle-related attributes of older adults.

Methods: PubMed was used to identify pertinent research.

Results: Among medically stable older adults, protein intakes below the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) (0.8 g/kg body weight [BW]/d) exacerbate age-related reductions in muscle size, quality, and function. Dietary patterns with total protein intakes at or moderately above the RDA, including one or preferably more meals containing sufficient dietary protein to maximize protein anabolism, promote muscle size and function. Some observational studies suggest protein intakes from 1.0 to 1.6 g/kg BW/d may promote greater muscle strength and function more so than muscle size. Experimental findings from randomized controlled feeding trials indicate protein intakes greater than the RDA (averaging ~1.3 g/kg BW/d) do not influence indices of lean body mass or muscle and physical functions with non-stressed conditions, but positively influence changes in lean body mass with purposeful catabolic (energy restriction) or anabolic (resistance exercise training) stressors. Among older adults with diagnosed medical conditions or acute illness, specialized protein or amino acid supplements that stimulate muscle protein synthesis and improve protein nutritional status may attenuate the loss of muscle mass and function and improve survival of malnourished patients. Observational studies favor animal versus plant protein sources for sarcopenia-related parameters.

Conclusions: Quantity, quality, and patterning of dietary protein consumed by older adults with varied metabolic states, and hormonal and health status influence the nutritional needs and therapeutic use of protein to support muscle size and function.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
This is just my opinion but throwing just calories in general at him might seem like a good idea to keep his weight up but just random protein shakes and powdered peanut butter I don't know if that is going to be worse for his gut than a specific type of protein shake that is very specifically for people with stomach issues and weight loss issues

I would do some reading on Crohn's disease and foods that you can and can't eat. I know when my brother was about 85 lb the doctors put him on sustacal which is like insure those type of shakes. I think they're a little bit easier on your stomach and they're not only higher in calories but they're also including vitamins and minerals to help their bodies process better.

This issue is when people age they get stuck in a rut and how they do things and they don't want to listen to anybody. My mother and father-in-law are just like this they eat like crap they're always in the hospital my father-in-law is on so many damn drugs but they think they know exactly what they're doing. They eat terrible they don't exercise and they rely on the doctors to give him another pill and another potion to keep them alive for another day

Since it sounds like his gut is really messed up maybe look over some information on this website https://www.fodmapeveryday.com/low-fodmap-meal-replacements-protein-shakes/

Fodmop foods are easier on the stomach there are certain things you have to completely avoid but maybe it can get his gut Flora back in shape and he can digest better.

So sorry to hear hopefully you can get something worked out for him

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
This is just my opinion but throwing just calories in general at him might seem like a good idea to keep his weight up but just random protein shakes and powdered peanut butter I don't know if that is going to be worse for his gut than a specific type of protein shake that is very specifically for people with stomach issues and weight loss issues

I would do some reading on Crohn's disease and foods that you can and can't eat. I know when my brother was about 85 lb the doctors put him on sustacal which is like insure those type of shakes. I think they're a little bit easier on your stomach and they're not only higher in calories but they're also including vitamins and minerals to help their bodies process better.

This issue is when people age they get stuck in a rut and how they do things and they don't want to listen to anybody. My mother and father-in-law are just like this they eat like crap they're always in the hospital my father-in-law is on so many damn drugs but they think they know exactly what they're doing. They eat terrible they don't exercise and they rely on the doctors to give him another pill and another potion to keep them alive for another day

Since it sounds like his gut is really messed up maybe look over some information on this website https://www.fodmapeveryday.com/low-fodmap-meal-replacements-protein-shakes/

Fodmop foods are easier on the stomach there are certain things you have to completely avoid but maybe it can get his gut Flora back in shape and he can digest better.

So sorry to hear hopefully you can get something worked out for him

"Stuck in a rut" is an understatement. Everything you said about how they don't listen, don't exercise, rely on doctors for another pill, etc. That's them. They've found this lowest energy level where they can still "exist" well enough to feed their NBC and CNN disorders. It kind of goes back to earlier in the thread, sometimes you just have to accept you can't change some things. They won't listen to a thing I say, because what they're doing is "working" for them. They've lost touch with what real living is like.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic