Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Slowing Weight Loss for Sick Person

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
My Dad is frail as hell. He has an underlying condition that the doctors can't seem to determine. It's Medicare, so big surprise... Anyway, the best I've been able to search is Costco Powdered Peanut Butter on here, but does anyone know of a palatable food. It doesn't have to be healthy, but it has to have enough of stuff to help decrease the rate of loss. At this point, I would almost consider it palliative. It's disturbing. He can't be talked any sense. They have him on three statins? Wtf? His cholesterol was never that bad, either. I keep trying to get them to listen and advocate for themselves, but their day consists of sitting in front of ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC, and CNN for their ritual programming on DEI, climate, "healthy" living, and the Ukraine. He may not even try what I buy since it's not recommended by the CDC or FDA, but if it tastes good enough, I might be able to slip it in somewhere.

He eats ice cream all the time now, even for breakfast. Then they wonder why his belching is so bad and want the doctor to fix that? Nevermind his gut flora is probably nothing but candida at this point.

Just found LK's Weight Gainer thread after I posted this.

Last edited:
MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Brother, i'm going to be brutally honest here because i've dealt with this on many ends.

If he is not willing to help himself, and I can understand to a degree if he is 70's+ in age, nothing you do is going to be followed.

My first question before you stress yourself out and do 'your end as a son,' and i'd be honored to have you in my corner as a father, does he even want to change or put any effort into this?

If not, save yourself the headache. Tell him how much you care about him, and let him know if he wants help you can do that for him. If he brushes it off, you have your answer. If he wants your help, then we can go from there.

I'll wait to go further once you answer.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I try not to get in their business. They've never listened to anything, anyway. It doesn't help he has dementia/Alzheimer's, but it's not that bad.. yet. It's not great, either, but he still knows all of us. My Mom has no such (mental) issues, but she won't listen, either. They're committed to their routine. One of the reasons I am moving to Florida is to put distance between us, because I have already realized there is nothing I can do. At some point, you just have to accept it and pursue your own happiness for whatever life you have remaining. But this is such low-hanging fruit it frustrates me. Get off the fucking statins, or maybe just use one? Who the hell prescribes three?! Stop eating like a 5-year-old child! He's on a lot of other medications, and I would bet a nontrivial amount of his problems are due to being overprescribed or completely misdiagnosed for other issues.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Dont go for powdered PB. All the fat is out of it.

My son had/has digestive issues and one of the ways we kept weight on him was always keeping full fat 'premium' icecream in the house.

At the end of the day, this is just an energy balance equation. Cook with more fats, use more cream in coffee. Desserts (rich high fat ones).

Appetite stimulants. Not sure if he would ever eat an edible, but that will definitely ramp up appetite.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Really good homemade protein bars - 16 oz peanut butter (I like Crazy Richards), 2 cups whey (Mutant Chocolate or Cookies and Cream), 2 cups quick oats (do not use old fashion or steel cut) and 12-14 oz of honey (warm it up in the microwave for 20 seconds). Mix them up in a bowl, press it into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan lined with wax or freezer paper and place in the freezer for about an hour. Pull it out and cut into even squares. The size of the squares will determine your macros. I cut mine into 16 even squares, which average 69 grams. Macros for a 69 gram bar are 313 cal, 15 g fat, 30 g carbs and 19 g pro. I can eat all 16 squares in one sitting they are so good.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Dont go for powdered PB. All the fat is out of it.

My son had/has digestive issues and one of the ways we kept weight on him was always keeping full fat 'premium' icecream in the house.

At the end of the day, this is just an energy balance equation. Cook with more fats, use more cream in coffee. Desserts (rich high fat ones).

Appetite stimulants. Not sure if he would ever eat an edible, but that will definitely ramp up appetite.

Well he's definitely getting three square meals of ice cream per day. It is literally all he eats. His appetite is very strange right now, as well, and that may very well have to do with the dementia. It's tough to get him to eat anything else, too. Both he and my Mom could definitely use an edible, but they would flip out and probably call the ambulance. They didn't even like CBD, but frankly, I think that was placebo. I gave my Mom an empty capsule years ago as a test, and she said it made her extremely sick and depressed. No, Mom, you were already extremely depressed and just expected it to make you sick, so it did. They are staunchly religious, as well.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Really good homemade protein bars - 16 oz peanut butter (I like Crazy Richards), 2 cups whey (Mutant Chocolate or Cookies and Cream), 2 cups quick oats (do not use old fashion or steel cut) and 12-14 oz of honey (warm it up in the microwave for 20 seconds). Mix them up in a bowl, press it into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan lined with wax or freezer paper and place in the freezer for about an hour. Pull it out and cut into even squares. The size of the squares will determine your macros. I cut mine into 16 even squares, which average 69 grams. Macros for a 69 gram bar are 313 cal, 15 g fat, 30 g carbs and 19 g pro. I can eat all 16 squares in one sitting they are so good.

Those sound crazy good. I think I'd rather make them for myself but definitely on a Saturday, because I would definitely eat the whole pan. I'd probably just cut the pan in fourths and not screw with any smaller portions. That's a really easy recipe, too.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Those sound crazy good. I think I'd rather make them for myself but definitely on a Saturday, because I would definitely eat the whole pan. I'd probably just cut the pan in fourths and not screw with any smaller portions. That's a really easy recipe, too.
They are my hunting and fishing go to. I just bring 3-4 and they hold me over for most of the day. Really good macro balance for sustained energy.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Well wasting away is what most gear was made for. The morals and ethics can definitely be debated. I would be inclined to do it to my family. Only thing that would have me pause is the Alzheimer's. There is a lot of research on diet and treatment of Alzheimer's but it sounds like he is not receptive.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Well wasting away is what most gear was made for. The morals and ethics can definitely be debated. I would be inclined to do it to my family. Only thing that would have me pause is the Alzheimer's. There is a lot of research on diet and treatment of Alzheimer's but it sounds like he is not receptive.

That's funny. I've read that so many times about things like Primo, and it never occurred to me. But yea, he'd never let me inject anything, and with his state of mind, it's quite possible he would tell the doctor "yea my son is injecting something in me." Not a good scenario. But after I posted this, I realized he was pretty much already doing what was suggested... eating a bunch of fucking ice cream. And he's been eating it like a champ and actually put some pounds back on. He got mad when I said he ate three gallons a day, but I'm not far off.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
Sorry Beef, I was the medical liason for my Mom and Dad... Mom had alzheimers, it's a tough spot to be, I empathize.

- does your Dad not have an appetite or just picky? If

- Marinol is a THC based prescription medicine we use as an appetite stimulant.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Sorry Beef, I was the medical liason for my Mom and Dad... Mom had alzheimers, it's a tough spot to be, I empathize.

- does your Dad not have an appetite or just picky? If

- Marinol is a THC based prescription medicine we use as an appetite stimulant.

I want to say he tried Marinol at some point. I'll have to ask my Mom about it. He is both picky and doesn't have an appetite. Like he won't just eat any ice cream.. it has to be specific flavors.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic