Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Single ply Gear

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Ok I have the 42, 44 and 46.. 42 was too small. I got the 46 on, but it took a few min with help. From what I have been reading. the Apex shirts sleeves tend to be loose compared to others.. Not for me. I think my arms are above avg. for my weight and over all size. The 46 left bruises on my arms just trying it on.... I have not tried the 44 yet.

I'm leaning towards the 46 as this is my first Bench Shirt.

PS.. Man I know these shirts are strong, but Damn... I just don't see how the Shirt is going to give at all. The chest plate is solid....

Also does anyone here ever train alone in a Bench Shirt?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I would never attempt to bench in a shirt by myself. Ever.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Bench shirt sizing is unique to each person's build and ability to work the gear..... single ply has an even bigger range.

1st off, remember that the shirt will stretch over the first few sessions. My team is VERY experienced with gear and we average 6-8 sessions to break in a shirt totally.

It's pretty normal to have to use sleeve slippers (or plastic bags if you don't have any) and lots of baby powder and it'll take a few people 10-15 minutes to fight the shirt on you the first time.

It's normal to need one of your spotters to help you get your hands out to the rings the first few times in the shirt.

I usually put the sleeve over the weight post on a leg press and hang from it to stretch it out before even trying to get in it. Some guys use two bars, some guys use a football or basketball.
Usually we work the shirt down a board or so each time in it..... so day one if you get to a 3-board without dumping or breaking form then you're doing good. Go for a 2-board the next time you get in the shirt.

As for sizing, if you can get your arms in it before it's broken in then it's usually fine. I'd DEFINITELY suggest spending some time with a crew that knows gear so they can help dial you in better. The big exceptions to this are if a lifter has a ridiculously long stroke..... the biggest thing will be learning the groove of the shirt since it will usually be different than your raw groove. Film from the side.

Last edited:
Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Ok I'm working a Deal on a New Squat Suit. Looking at the Titan Lineup.

Do the Centurion or Super Centurion work well on Deadlifts too?

What kind of carry over difference is there between the Centurions vs the Spartan Suit?

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Ok here what I have collected now..

New APT APEX Bench Shirt
New Inzer Power Pants
Lightly used Centurion cut into briefs
Lightly used Metal V-Squatter
New
Super Centurion

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
I completely agree with PLK. I coach a team of 30 single ply lifters, a few of the things that I would say are based on who you have with you team wise. If you don't have a few folks that are versed in gear or specifically single ply gear you definitely need to go slightly looser. When you get in fully dialed competition gear you're talking about very experienced lifters with a good support group of spotters and folks that understand how to set gear and how to ensure your form is dialed first. Super tight gear will crush your form especially for a person just starting I've seen it over and over again. Squat suits too tight will buckle your knees you don't want that. The bench shirt will become a dangerous nightmare as you will come out of the groove and possibly take a bar through the face. I'm not saying wear loose gear I'm saying do not go tight first, just my opinion.

Second, I'm a multiply guy except with my deadlift suit but I'm a conventional deadlifted. As far as which gear to buy I'm sure any will be a great place to start but in single ply, I think there is only one choice and I see it with my team Titan gear is freakishly superior (again my opinion). I think they are getting away with some shit LOL their material, stitching and design are almost not fair. If I was going to compete in single ply I'd get Titan gear shirt wise I'd get the Super Katana if you have a good arch they have a version that kills if you don't have an arch they have one for that.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I completely agree with PLK. I coach a team of 30 single ply lifters, a few of the things that I would say are based on who you have with you team wise. If you don't have a few folks that are versed in gear or specifically single ply gear you definitely need to go slightly looser. When you get in fully dialed competition gear you're talking about very experienced lifters with a good support group of spotters and folks that understand how to set gear and how to ensure your form is dialed first. Super tight gear will crush your form especially for a person just starting I've seen it over and over again. Squat suits too tight will buckle your knees you don't want that. The bench shirt will become a dangerous nightmare as you will come out of the groove and possibly take a bar through the face. I'm not saying wear loose gear I'm saying do not go tight first, just my opinion.

Second, I'm a multiply guy except with my deadlift suit but I'm a conventional deadlifted. As far as which gear to buy I'm sure any will be a great place to start but in single ply, I think there is only one choice and I see it with my team Titan gear is freakishly superior (again my opinion). I think they are getting away with some shit LOL their material, stitching and design are almost not fair. If I was going to compete in single ply I'd get Titan gear shirt wise I'd get the Super Katana if you have a good arch they have a version that kills if you don't have an arch they have one for that.

Thanks Halo, The gear I listed is just what I have came across for good deals or worked deals for. The SAD thing is I have no support group for gear. No one at my Gym uses gear yet. I have only Squatted in a Squat suit a few times before. Never in a Bench Shirt and tried a Tight Conv. DL once or twice. I may have to find some guys and travel to get training done in the gear to learn. But my training times are late at night before work. Many times I train alone and if someone is there. They have no clue whats going on anyway...

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
The biggest thing I'm worried about is really the Bench Shirt. I always bench with Safety bars. So I know I won't eat the bar.

I have the Titan Suit coming and was going to be my SQ and DL for a while. I then came across a Metal V-Squatter for $30 Shipped. It's used, but not much. But it might be a tight.. $30 was worth the chance. I figured if it does fit. It might be a better suit for Deadlifts, starting out.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
$30?!?! Definitely a chance worth taking, I'm sure you'll be able to recoup the cash if it doesn't fit

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
If you can find a gym it's worth traveling I promise you. If you were anywhere near Baltimore you'd be welcome at my gym.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
$30?!?! Definitely a chance worth taking, I'm sure you'll be able to recoup the cash if it doesn't fit

That's what I thought too

If you can find a gym it's worth traveling I promise you. If you were anywhere near Baltimore you'd be welcome at my gym.

I think the closest one might be KC, which is 3hrs away. That's a 6hr round trip just to train a couple of hours.. ouch

If I did that. I might make a weekend out of it and stay the night and train twice before heading back.

Got the Metal V-Type suit in... It's tight for sure. It's crazy tight around my legs. Took me about 15min to get the straps up, but I did without hanging from anything. I'll try it on again and take pics at the legs. See if you guys think they need altered or not...Good news it should be good for me.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic