Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

shoulder recovery

S

shagmastuh

Jul 21, 2013
isn't it great that you can bust your ass in the gym and then get injured helping people? I was helping an older lady move furniture and had my arm above my head stabilizing a heavy desk. It slid over on me (I think that someone pushed it or lifted it or something) and pushed my arm straight back.......POP!! Now my shoulder is F*cked!!! I haven't' been able to train for a week.....now going into week two i'm still in pain but am thinking that I can lift this week. Any thoughts on how to approach the iron? It still hurts when I lift it over my head but if I keep it down low it's not so bad. You know how it is.....I want to HIT THE GYM!!! SJA has been making me train legs until my ass falls off......but I want some upper body action!! Has anyone had a similar issue with this type of injury? How was recovery?

L

Lippaskoal

May 3, 2012
Recovery is a bitch and sorry to tell you, that if it was popped your shoulder will never feel the same. At this point, you're probably only going to be able to do some physio type band exercises for your shoulder. Anything else is going to re-injure it or make it worst.

B

Bigwhite

MuscleHead
Mar 20, 2013
I feel your pain, popped mine about 4 weeks ago takes a long time to heal...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I wouldn't say it'll never feel the same. Get it checked out and begin rehabbing it if need be. I have 1 very bad shoulder and I'm able to still make gains on my overhead lifts but it took a long time (6months of rehab). Don't just jump back in b/c you can do more damage. Find out what happened and than make a plan of attack to get it better.

S

shagmastuh

Jul 21, 2013
Ouch... Those are the words I was fearing.... SJA won't let me lift anything right now. Lateral movement is finally doable up until shoulder level, then there is a distinct road block and minor pain in the cuff and front crevasse just in front of my cap. I know MRI is necessary, honestly money is the issue not pride. Two weeks ago I had no movement, through icing and immobilizing movement it has significantly "healed" (projection based off ability of motion regained, and pain subsiding/decrease in swelling). I know there is underlying damage, possibly permanent damage done, but being laid off with loss of insurance coverage is a huge consideration at this time. I know there is no talking my way out of this, or into some thumbs up on training light... (trying to stay light) but is an MRI the only options for identifying internal damages? Sounds like a useless question I know, but some internal issues can be identified by tenderness when touch or moved in a certain way, popping/clicking, locking of joints during specific movements.... throw me a bone here guys please. I'm 27, love training and I stay active so you all know I'm losing my mind!!! It has been 15days since the injury. Thank you all for taking the time to speak on this.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Sja knows his shit ! You gotta listen to us old folk we are pros when it comes to injury and rehab

Reactions: SJA
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Ouch... Those are the words I was fearing.... SJA won't let me lift anything right now. Lateral movement is finally doable up until shoulder level, then there is a distinct road block and minor pain in the cuff and front crevasse just in front of my cap. I know MRI is necessary, honestly money is the issue not pride. Two weeks ago I had no movement, through icing and immobilizing movement it has significantly "healed" (projection based off ability of motion regained, and pain subsiding/decrease in swelling). I know there is underlying damage, possibly permanent damage done, but being laid off with loss of insurance coverage is a huge consideration at this time. I know there is no talking my way out of this, or into some thumbs up on training light... (trying to stay light) but is an MRI the only options for identifying internal damages? Sounds like a useless question I know, but some internal issues can be identified by tenderness when touch or moved in a certain way, popping/clicking, locking of joints during specific movements.... throw me a bone here guys please. I'm 27, love training and I stay active so you all know I'm losing my mind!!! It has been 15days since the injury. Thank you all for taking the time to speak on this.

I can tell you I never had an MRI done but I was lucky. A friend of mine is a PT that works with pitchers so he knows a SHIT ton about shoulder injuries and he was able to get me back to lifting at 100% (or as close as I'll ever be). Like I said it was a long, laborious journey but I got through it. There are also non profit places that will work on you for little to nothing. I'll have to look for the info but they have hospitals all over the country. Don't take a shoulder injury lightly b/c it can haunt you.

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
BI - I'm interested in these non-profit places. My old ass has it's bad days for sure :) When I'm "on", I am virtually painless.....but when "off" it's hard to get out of bed some days. My shoulder is one of the areas that sings out once in a while. If you find some info, let me know. Much appreciated!!

SJA

SJA

MuscleHead
Feb 24, 2011
Sja knows his shit ! You gotta listen to us old folk we are pros when it comes to injury and rehab

We know our shit because we already have all this shit happen to us hahahaha. I got the kid starting slow. Hard to keep the reigns on him though. I'm glad that the community is keeping him in check (makes my job easier LOL).

Shag - RR will kick your ass if you don't listen to me :)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
BI - I'm interested in these non-profit places. My old ass has it's bad days for sure :) When I'm "on", I am virtually painless.....but when "off" it's hard to get out of bed some days. My shoulder is one of the areas that sings out once in a while. If you find some info, let me know. Much appreciated!!

I'll look for it when I get home from work and I'll post it out for everyone to see b/c probably there are many who could benefit from it.

Reactions: SJA
silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
I ****ed up my left shoulder early in 2012 and it's still ****ed up. I'm have the same problem no insurance and an MRI isn't cheap. I can't do any flat benching at all, just to much pain. I was able to work around it using hammer strength machines. They put less stress on the shoulder due to the arm positioning and shoulders is all cable work as it seems to put a little less stress on it than DBs. I've made through 3 competitions with it jacked up but its slowly getting worse because I just refuse to not train. I know, not smart, you'd think I would know better and I do but I just got back into competing and like I said just refuse to not train. Ice and advil for now. Recently found one of those non profit or whatever clinics in my area and planning on going in soon to see if they can do anything for me.
Listen to SJA especially if your on the younger side, don't want to mess it up to bad where you have to get it cut open. Then it'll be even a longer healing process.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic