Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Should I deadlift for back thickness

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
I thought this was going to be a rhetorical question, followed by a long post on why you should do deadlifts?

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
Two relatively uncommon exercises that really helped with my back thickness -

1) Bent over rows on a Smith Machine where loaded 45lb plates will hit the floor before the safety locks stop the bar. Being able to roll/twist the bar as far as possible is important.

2) Instead of two handed cable rows put a cable-crossover handle on there and pull one arm at a time. One arm allows for a farther pull & deeper stretch. Just roll a dumbbell bench or chair over to the cable-crossover machine and set it on one of the lowest three settings. If that isn't enough weight use one arm on the regular cable row machine like the big dogs.

Big_paul

Big_paul

MuscleHead
May 14, 2014
I have always done pull downs for a wide back and rows for thickness. Dead lifts are one of my favorite exercises but proper form is very important. if you have back problems depending on how serious your problems are dead lifts might not be for you.
I have had problems with my low back, but still do dead lifts with reduced wt and with stiff leg dead lifts I use 135 lbs. Dead lifts seem to bring everything together.
If a thick back is what you are looking for, do lots of rows, cable, barbell and dumb bells.

brutus79

brutus79

Dec 27, 2013
I do supersets- put 155 on the bar and get on a step. 10 wider grip barbell rows straight to ten deadlifts without touching the geound because I'm on a step... five sets of that and upper and lower back is toast

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Dead lifts should be cornerstone of routine . Also vary with rack or partial deads will emphasize mid back . Years ago as a teen I had very same issue, then broke spine but now back is my strongest.
Deads or rack deads always begin my back .
Them bent over rows are another key / 4 sets six plates for 8-12.
My gym has dumbells that go 200 so heavy dumbells build thickness. Trust me every one can do 200 pound dumbells rows / just mind over matter over time . 3-4 sets 12
I'm so strong in chins I do at end with plates tied lol- but think of chins as end of workout stretch- stretch down until arms fully extended then full contraction as you want to maintain that width.
Some times I do pre-exhausts super set of cross bench DB pullover then narrow grip chin without rest an back burns like hell.
Also to keep strong do few sets hypers or reverse hypers with abs to keep back supple.
Ususlly when a back hurts - it's due to weakness - train the erectors so you can load up on deads and rows. Size is correlates with streghth but also the duration of time under tension . With deads and rows it's no lose

jks1

jks1

Aug 30, 2015
Well peeps I have been lifting for sometime and I am getting results.
Now I have nice wide back but lagging in thickness. I do lots of pullups , pulldowns ,cable rows, T bar rows ...
I know that deadlift is very good exercise but I don't do deadlifts..I have heard that it can hurt your lower back etc..
Now I wana have thick 3d back that pops out in T shirts..
Should I deadlift for that...
Please tell me about your reviews about deadlift and give me some advice for making back thick and 3D...
Thankx in advance

Trained for years on TBar rows and bent over barbell rows, resulted in almost no appreciable increase in back thickness for me

Dropped those exercises a few years back for trap bar (or regular bar) bent legged deadlifts and stiff legged deadlifts performed on separate days and havent looked back since

The top to bottom back development and thickness gained from these 2 exercises has been unparalleled for me and I've also found that these exercises develop tremendous overall strength and after a while give you that 'formidable could do damage' type appearance

Couldnt recommend deadlifting highly enough - for me its the king of exercises

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic