Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Saunas and Hypertrophy?

MarcFreccero

MarcFreccero

Nov 5, 2022
Hey everyone! I've been adding in a post-workout aauna for my workout program, and I was curious: Do they help with Hypertrohpy and muscle growth? I know there's a tremendous amount of benefits to the aauna, but I was wondering what the impact on muscle gain is.

The only thing I've noticed personally - and this might just be me - is that when I do a post workout sauna, I find that I don't look as "big" the days after my workout. I'm not sure if this is just my perception, or maybe the way saunas affect me, but I have noticed a slight loss in overall muscle size when doing post workout saunas as oppose to not doing them.

I really do love the post workout sauna, but I don't know how it's affecting my muscle size overall besides my perception. Is there any research/studies to show that it helps with hypertrophy or gaining muscle, or the opposite?

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I recently saw some literature on it from studies that certain saunas actually help increase natural growth hormone through some crazy process. I’ll see if I still have the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Below is the article I’m talking about

MarcFreccero

MarcFreccero

Nov 5, 2022
Ahh interesting! What's weird is I feel like that would mean I would have more muscle gain, but for some reason I feel like I look "smaller" when doing the post workout sauna as oppose to not doing it. Really tough to say if it's just my perception or the way my body responds to it.

There's so many documented benefits of the sauna, so part of me also feels like I should just do it anyway haha

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Ahh interesting! What's weird is I feel like that would mean I would have more muscle gain, but for some reason I feel like I look "smaller" when doing the post workout sauna as oppose to not doing it. Really tough to say if it's just my perception or the way my body responds to it.

There's so many documented benefits of the sauna, so part of me also feels like I should just do it anyway haha

It’s just the loss of water from the sauna I’m sure and it relaxes the muscles. Improved circulation etc. so you lose that pump in the sauna. I’m the same way. It’s just a mindfuck, you’re not losing muscle.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
The minute I stop my workout I start the restoration process. Cool down and heart rate lowered. Powo drink finished. Some skittles and more water. Then my yogurt egg white mix in a thermos and a small oatbite on the way home in the car.
I feel a big drop in recovery during the summer work outs are more heat stressed.
I take a sauna hit bath soak and hot showers on days off.
Your workout is still going if you are sitting in a hot sauna or whirlpool.

M

Massive G

VIP Member
Apr 10, 2020
Below is the article I’m talking about

Yes I searched on sauna after work outs and all mentioned many benefits
to saunas after a workout, but like a cold shower I just can't do it lol. I am so exhausted after a workout I can't fathom breathing in humid hot air and sweating like a pig. Lol but good discussion I would like to hear more answers from experience.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I actually prefer hitting the hybrid tanning beds with the red light therapy bulbs after training. I have no literature on it, but always felt it helps the muscles relax and speed up the recovery process. Sauna probably does the same thing.

As far as looking small after using the sauna, I guess that would depend on how long you are in there. If you are sitting in there and sweating out a lot of water then it makes perfect sense that you would flatten out afterwards.

A1food4u

A1food4u

VIP Member
May 9, 2012
Nothing really to add... just wanted to say thanks for a good read..

I love a sauna sweat but never thought of it as being helpful for growth, I just like it to relax

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic