Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Sassy69 2013: Physique in the Midwest

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Sassy I have been suffering heals spurs for five years.wear orthotics in my shoes helps but still hurts.cant go on long runs as the next day I can't physically walk.i have had an x ray done on my heal and found that the spur has grown so eventual I will need surgery to shave down the spur.good luck with your prep and injuries.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Sassy I have been suffering heals spurs for five years.wear orthotics in my shoes helps but still hurts.cant go on long runs as the next day I can't physically walk.i have had an x ray done on my heal and found that the spur has grown so eventual I will need surgery to shave down the spur.good luck with your prep and injuries.

After all the research I've done about the neuromas and my already existing 3 bunion surgeries, I have NO desire for any surgery on my feet. A quick google brought up the following:
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/generalinfo2/a/heelspur_2.htm. I'm sure you've done a lot of this - my plantar fasciitis has been an issue for at least 3 years, but it really got crazy this past year. I hate the idea that you are being told that surgery is inevitable - so I'm curious if you've done all of the below and even explored the non-invasive laser stuff? I'm also finding acupuncture to help some.

Treatment of heel spurs is the same as treatment of plantar fasciitis. Because these problems are related, the treatment is the same. The first step in the treatment of a heel spur is short-term rest and inflammation control. Here are the steps patients should take in order to cure the symptoms of plantar fasciitis and heel spurs:
Rest
The first treatment step is avoiding activities that aggravate symptoms. For example, take a few day off jogging or prolonged standing to try to rest the painful foot. Just resting usually helps eliminate the most severe pain, and will allow the inflammation to begin to settle down.

Apply Ice Packs
Icing will help diminish some of the symptoms and control the heel pain. Icing is especially helpful after an acute exacerbation of symptoms.
Icing idea for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs

Exercises and Stretches
Exercises and stretches are designed to relax the tissues that surround the heel bone. Some simple exercises, performed in the morning and evening, often help patients feel better quickly.

Anti-Inflammatory Medications
Anti-inflammatory medications help control pain and decrease inflammation. Over-the-counter medications are usually sufficient, but prescription options are also available.

Shoe Inserts
Shoe inserts are often the key to successful treatment of plantar fasciitis. The shoe inserts often permit patients to continue their routine activities without pain.

Night Splints
Night splints are worn to keep the heel stretched out when you sleep. They prevent the arch of the foot from becoming contracted at night, and is hopefully not as painful in the morning.

These treatments alone will cure the plantar fasciitis pain in most patients. Be forewarned that the symptoms will not resolve quickly. Most patients find relief within about three months, and over 90 percent within one year.
If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation of plantar fasciitis. However, many physicians do not like to inject cortisone around the heel because potentially serious problems can happen cortisone injections in the heel area. The two problems that cause concern are fat pad atrophy and plantar fascial rupture. Both problems occur in a small percentage of patients, but they can worsen heel pain symptoms.

A new treatment for heel spurs chronic plantar fasciitis is being investigated. This treatment, called extracorporeal shock wave therapy, or ESWT, uses energy pulses to induce microtrauma to the tissue around the heel spur. This microtrauma is thought to induce a tissue repair process by the body. ESWT is recommended in patients who have failed the previously mentioned treatments, and are considering surgical options.

After successful treatment, how can I prevent heel spur pain from coming back?
To prevent the recurrence of heel spur symptoms after treatment, proper fitting footwear is essential. Many people use shoe inserts to relieve pressure over the tender area. Custom orthotics can also be made if there appears to be a problem with the mechanical structure of the foot. It is also important to continue the stretching and exercises. These simple exercises will help maintain the flexibility of the foot and prevent the plantar fasciitis pain from returning.

What if the symptoms of the heel spur do not resolve?
In a small number of cases (usually less than 5 percent), patients may not experience relief after trying the recommendations listed above. It is important that conservative treatments (such as those listed above) be performed for AT LEAST a year before considering surgery. Time is important in curing the pain from heel spurs, and insufficient treatment before surgery may subject you to potential complications from the procedure. If these treatments fail, your doctor may consider an operation to loosen the plantar fascia, called a plantar fascia release.

Because the diagnosis of heel spurs can be confused with tarsal tunnel syndrome (as described earlier), most surgeons advocate performing a tarsal tunnel release (or at least a partial tarsal tunnel release) along with the plantar fascia release. This surgery is about 80 percent successful in relieving pain in the small group of patients who do not improve with conservative treatments.

Sources:

Gill LH. "Plantar Fasciitis: Diagnosis and Conservative Management" J. Am. Acad. Ortho. Surg., Mar 1997; 5: 109 - 117.

Riddle, DL, et al. "Risk Factors for Plantar Fasciitis" J. Bone Joint Surg. Am., May 2003; 85: 872 - 877.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
5/18/13 - Saturday

I'm realizing I'm a bit spotty getting going if I'm going to be serious about this. This past week was ultra heavy w/ work, and even tho I took half a day off, I still managed to work 43 hours by Thursday noon. And I even left a bunch of processes running (e.g. large file transfers and a couple database queries), so technically I was still getting stuff done while I was off. The time off was really needed and I loved every minute of it! Next week I'm flying to San Francisco for work, so I am hoping to get into the gym at the hotel too. I can feel the peer pressure already from my team to go out drinking w/ them :cO

Today I also had a follow up w/ my chiropractor after getting an MRI on my right shoulder. I had arthroscopic surgery on it in 2008 and it healed beautifully. However a week before my last show I was doing 30 lb Arnold presses and managed to tweak it - basically lifting too heavy for how depleted I was. Its been annoying ever since. Gets tired very quickly and after every back day I have to go see my chiro to get a few ribs and my scapula pushed back into place on the right side.

I'm posting a thread in the Injury / Rehab forum about the whole MRI results and recommended protocol for anyone interested. I have an appt on Monday for full torso x-rays and an evaluation including measurement of the push / pull strength & ROM of all the muscles managing the balance of my upper torso as a place to start.

Link: http://www.theironden.com/threads/14889-AC-Joint-Issues-MRI-Subsequent-Treatment?p=217313#post217313

Training: chest / tris

1.5 mile walk to the gym
shoulder wu
super:
- incline DB press: 40/10 x 4
- incline DB fly: 25/10 x 4
HS low iso press: 45s/10 x 3
cable x-over: 40/10 x 4
tri cable pressdown: 100/15 x 2 85/15 x 2
Oprahs/Dr Phils: 15/10 x 4 (These are alternating supinated & pronated grip DB kickbacks - one of my trainers used to call them Oprahs & Dr. Phils - it makes me laugh so I still use it :)
super:
- lying leg raises: 20 x 4
- oblique v-ups: 15 x 3
seated pulldown ab vacuums: alt side - 30/10 x 3 center: 45/10 x2

20 min posing practice

1.5 mile walk home

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic