Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Ruptured Pec Major -Help

northsider1

northsider1

Dec 31, 2012
Monday I was on my last set of bench, 315, unracked it and my right peck tore, it was horrific, sounded like a pair of jeans getting ripped in two, thank god I just joined a new gym, and had an amazing spotter who instantly grabbed it, went to the ER, and they just gave me some pain killers and said it was ruptured and torn. Today I spent 5 hrs getting 2 different MRIs, (my shoulders were too wide for the machine so they had to do two seperate MRIs.) They said they can't really see if the tendon is torn as well as the muscle. It's obvious my pec is torn because there is a huge gap where my pec major used to connect to my shoulder (the armpit area). They have me coming back in a week to see how it looks because there is so much internal bleeding they have to wait till the swelling and bruising goes down to look again. I want to know if anyone has had a pec tare and has recovered and of they are as strong or if I'm totally screwed. Lifting is my passion, (lifting heavy) and has helped me keep my life on track between raising my daughter solo, school full time and work, its my release, and keeps me sane. I want to know if I can ever get back in to power lifting with such an injury or if im screwed now and lifting heavy will only continue to injure me more
Thanks guys

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Holy shit dude ow. That's all I have is ow. Hope you. Have a speedy solid recovery.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
My mate suffered a tear like yours.i feel for you bro.he waited about 2 weeks for the swelling and bleeding to subside.had his MRI scans and was a tear but not as bad as they initially thought.he got it repaired and healed up real good.but the down side was he never went heavy on bench again.i think mentally he didn't want to go through the process of tearing again.took him a year to fully recover.one thing I remember him saying to me is that with any major tear is to get them repaired as soon as possible.im going thought rotator cuff post surgery so it's a slow process.best of luck and keep us posted

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I tore my left one. Didnt have insurance at the time hence, it was never repaired. It took a long time to be able to do any chest work again. When I was able to do chest, I stuck to dumbells only. This allowed me to work around any discomfort. Flat bench has always bothered it after, inclines are no problem though. Naturally, strength is not the same. If you have the ability to become repaired, do so.

northsider1

northsider1

Dec 31, 2012
follow up: So last Monday was the injury, and Wednesday was the MRI, got a call from the DR from his house early Thursday, they booked me for emergency surgery, the Dr. stated that he consulted some of his colleges around the nation that night because he had never seen anything like it. Also because of the amount of internal bleeding and severity of the tare It had to be repaired immediately . So Thursday I got surgery, it was 3 hours long, the way he explained it, was that they drilled 3 holes into my humerus, and bolted in some non-metal eyelets, and to those eyelets they attached the ligaments, tendons and muscle. The surgery went well and the Dr. said that I after recovery will be able to be 100% if not stronger! That was such a relieve, currently I'm just in a sling and on a butt load of pain meds. 3x a day I have to swing my arm in front of me like a pendulum for starters, then I have my appointment next week to see what we do next! Thanks to all of you for your support and advice! I'm really depressed and discouraged because I was doing so well and was so excited for the PL competition that was coming up in march. I cant use my right arm at all, I can only type with my left hand and this is really a shitty deal because I'm right handed and school started the monday I got hurt. Any support, advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! Ill keep you all posted.
Thanks

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Follow your rehab to the letter. Most importantly take it slow upon return otherwise, you will be in a worse situation. I would also recomend starting your come back without any gear. This is just my oppinion, others may not feel tha same. Take your time and heal right.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
My buddy just had his pec tear right down the middle. They cant do surgery on it.

When I had shoulder surgery it took me a long time to get back into the gym. After a couple years my shoulder feels normal and it's bigger than my non surgery shoulder. I found a passion in cars for my downtime. Try and find something else you like doing

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
That really sucks bro, sorry you are going through this! I know how you feel after having surgery 3 months ago to repair a torn rotater cuff. How long did the doctor tell you before you can lift again?

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
I'm sorry to hear that bro and wish you a speedy recovery. Take your time and do your best in rehab.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I think hawkeye did this. Shoot him a PM

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Stay positive.i know how you feel I was in a sling for 6 weeks and it got me down but you will recover.i can train with weights heavier than 5 kilos but shit happens bro and you just got to stay focused on your recovery

northsider1

northsider1

Dec 31, 2012
thanks for the support and feed back guys, i have my dr app in a few days then Ill know more and keep you posted

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic