Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Routine vs rushed

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
for the longest time i worked out in early evening. i did this in undergrad and vet school and then again when i started back to the gym a few years ago. the beginning of this year i started going at noon. it took a few weeks to get used to but then i really loved it. we take a 2 hour break at the clinic from 12-2 and it was the perfect amount of time for me to go and workout and come home and eat and shower and be back to the office before 2. i got to where i loved it.

well, now that zac is in kindergarten he gets out at noon. he has really been struggling with it and every morning we have tears and i have to pinky promise that i will be there early and sit in the class for a few minutes before it is time to go. the first few weeks werent too bad because we didnt have a lot of surgeries and i could get out of the office around 10:30 and go and workout and go be at the school about 11:45 and keep my promise of being early. (i feel a promise made to a young child should always be kept)

this week the surgery schedule has been crazy and i cant get to the gym before picking him up and by the time i get home it is 12:15. so by the time i get him lunch and change it would be almost 1 before i got to the gym. i cant make myself do it, i hate being rushed like that plus we always have people show up about 1:30 for appointments.

so now i am face with a choice, rushed noon workouts or changing my routine and going after work. after work means crowded gym and less time being around the monchers. also zac has soccer practice on mondays and wednesdays so after work is not possible on those days. AAAAUUUURGGGGHHH it is very frustrating. i have to say that i have been pretty spoiled up until now with having the time to go when it fit and now having to work around it sucks :( im hoping that zac will get over his crying and then my office manager can help with picking him up on days when i have too many surgeries to make it before noon.

anyway, all that to say do you think it is better to be on a routine and be rushed or to just go with the flow and get in there when you can? i love having a routine, everything feels better that way but i just dont think it is going to work that way for awhile.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I hate being rushed, somtimes my rest between sets is 5-10 mins.... My work outs vary from 45mins to 3 hours... Im pretty spoiled myself tho i dont work but i do have kids to puck up and take to there practices and school etc... If i had a regular job i guess id go in the evening time.. In youre situation it looks like you might have to start going in the evening time and then renegotiate that deal with youre son later if he starts missing you at night.... Momys got to have her time to :)

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Can he go to the gym with you? If so then pack lunch for him in the a.m. and after picking him up head to the gym with him, could even do a picnick together if there is a ggrassy area and then go in and workout....planning ahead and doing bulk preparations of lunches so that it can be grabbed in the morning and done at the gy allowing you to keep your promise and and still keep your schedule may be a worthy investment. Other options may be a positive rewards system for him to negate the tears with school ...also do you use an afternoon nanny?maybe they could instead fill your spot for the school and afternoon then do something special everyday in the evening

cheddar cheese

cheddar cheese

TID Lady Member
Aug 29, 2011
is your gym 24hr? I get in my workouts at 4 to 5am and start work at 8, takes a couple of weeks to get used to getting up that early but it's a great feeling to start your work day knowing your workouts are done and all you have to do at the end of the day is head home. Best part........no crowds, all the equip is freed up :) if that doesn't work DC had a great suggestion of taking your son with you

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i already get up at 4 am and do abs and spend some me time before the monchers get up around 6. the gym doesnt open until 6 and by then i am finishing up getting ready and working on getting the monchers ready for school.

i own my own veterinary clinic and am the only vet and we are very busy. so the afternoon thing, as much as i would love to do it can not be done. i usually try to get to the office around 7-7:30 am. we do surgeries in the morning so it is easier to get out early if we dont have very many. but the afternoons are all appointment based and we are generally double booked most days.

smallville gym does not have a place for kids and they arent allowed in the gym. no nanny anymore havent had one for several years. the monchers just hang out at the clinic. having someplace for the monchers isnt the problem, it is just the timing of it all.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I'm wondering if after a while he won't be more comfortable w/ you not sitting in the last few minutes of school? Kids new to school need some time to adjust but then they usually start to love it...

I'm also an evening-trainer -- I much prefer training after work. At one point about 5 yrs ago I had a schedule where I had to train in the morning so I'd get up 4:45 am and haul ass to the gym, haul ass thru my training & get my cardio in, then haul ass to work, and then haul ass back to the gym for my 2nd cardio session (the shit we do for competition....) After a week or so I was able to get into and it worked fine.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
im sure he will get it all worked out soon. it still is a problem with my surgery schedule and having to pick him up. i am only getting there about 10 mins early so it isnt like i am there an hour before. i will just have to deal with evening workouts again and a few more missed ones. might have to start going on saturdays to make up for missed workouts. :(

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
set your routine up around that would be my best advice. Monday and Wednesday being "rest" days. other than that you could take on another vet.... but that probably isnt an option huh?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
set your routine up around that would be my best advice. Monday and Wednesday being "rest" days. other than that you could take on another vet.... but that probably isnt an option huh?
LOL nobody wants to move to smallville. plus economically it would be hard to make it worth it right now. the economy is still down enough and even though we are busy it isnt so busy that i cant get it all done, just means working everyday all day :D

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic