Latest Member
Thongman
What's New?

Rest and Recovery Time!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
So this thread actually started as a discussion in the shoutbox this evening where we were trying to help out a young brother on here "udbodybuilder"... His routine is a little weird and there is some concerns of overtraining... Get Some recommended he take a week off to fully recover.

Get Some is currently ending his week off and very much looking forward to getting back into the gym tonight... I just started a week off myself and will be stuffing my face like a beast. RottenRogue chimed in stating that as she gets more experienced she finds the need to take more time to recover.

So we're kinda curious... Do you ever take a week off? Any concerns about atrophy or loss of strength? How often do you rest up for a longer period than a day or two? Give us your thoughts!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
There are several ways to deload, or periodize your training. The bottom line is that everyone does... some by design and others by injury or overtraining. I used to lift at 50% load every 7th or 8th week, whether I felt I needed it or not. Kind of an active rest. About a year of that and I couldn't handle the mental aspect of touching the iron but not going all out. Since then I have opted for 5-6 day complete break about every 10-12 weeks. If I can coincide it with a trip or some other reason I can't lift then all the better. I will do some cardio and ab training but that's about all. I usually come back stronger than ever and there's not going to be any real atrophy in a week's time.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
II said it very well.

im not good at taking it but i think it is very necessary. i have found that the first week back im usually weaker but by week two i am back to normal and all goes up from there!

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
i'm in the category of being forced to take time off due to injury in recent years and it SUCKS. i do understand and agree with the reasoning behind deloading but i find myself feeling like a complete slacker when i so much as miss ONE workout, let alone take a whole week off. that being said, i am going to make an effort to take the time to deload and recuperate at some point this year before i blow out my other knee or hurt my back more seriously next time...

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
I haven't taken a week off in a looongg time. It's probably about that time that I do. I get plenty of rest with my split though. I take 1 maybe 2 days off a week.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I've never deliberatly taken a full week off but for reasons beyond my control I have taken the odd month or 2 off. What really surprised me (apart from how quickly I loose strength & size) was how quick and easy things seem to come when I return to the gym. I get my 3 rest days per week outta the gym but sometimes when you hit a plateu it's not a bad idea to take a full week off.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
me personally I do 6 days aweek for 3 weeks and then take a week off and you have too understand those 3 weeks are always balls to the wall all out lifting.Iwas born human but chose to be animal in my life with everything