Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

RAW vs. Equipped Powerlifting

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I am a raw guy myself, but have much respect for equipped lifters. I tried my hand (very briefly at equipped lifting) but it takes time, a good crew and technique to learn your gear. It's apples to oranges in my opinion. Anybody who gets under the bar has my respect. Raw vs equipped debate has been around forever. It's kinda like the debate about which fed is better too. Have fun and do what you want to do. Haters will hate. SFW.

unclerico

unclerico

Aug 4, 2012
I lift both raw AND equipped.
I believe that guys who knock gear in Canada are those whos max weights are really sissy weights,and don't have the patience(or smarts) to LEARN the altered strength curve.
Its just like skinny guys who say,"I don't want to get big,I just want to 'tone' "
To that I say BULLSHIT!! They just do not have the parts to get what they want.
Gear is the way the sport has gone.
Oh,and if you think that YOU can put on a piece of polyester and throw big numbers? Be my guest!!haha

monstersquat

monstersquat

Apr 3, 2012
Personally, I compete geared but I have nothing against raw lifting, especially in competition. I am one of those lifters that get a lot benefits from gear. That’s not to say I have weak raw numbers, but compared to my gear numbers there’s a big difference. I have learned over the years to pick the proper gear to overcome my raw weaknesses. I can squat 700 raw, 1100 geared, bench 400 raw, close to 700 geared and deadlift 630 raw, over 700 geared.

Raw lifting has been the next swing in the sport because it’s more competitive. Here’s my theory why.

Let’s say you have 20 guys all the same weight and all can squat between 600-700 raw.

Now put those guys in single-ply gear. Now the squat range is from 650 – 750 but there will be one or two guys that will be close to 800 and maybe one close to 900.

Now put them in multi-ply gear. The range moves to 700 – 800 for most of the group, three or four guys are now at 800 – 900 and one or two at 1000 – 1100.

If the whole group lifts raw, anyone can place in the top 3 because if any one misses a lift the range is so tight that anyone can come in and take the lead.

In single ply, most of the group will have to wait until the two guys that are close to 800 and the one that is close to 900 to screw up before they would have a chance to place.

In multi-ply the group will have to wait for three or four guys in the 800-900 range and the one or two in the 100-1100 range to screw up to take a place.

As far as the sport I s concerned I love the fact that raw is becoming more popular. It has brought a load of new lifters into the sport and continues to do so. And the more lifters the better. As for me, I will continue to use gear and maybe one day try a raw competition.

Joe Ironman Norman
www.monstersquat.com

Superman

Superman

VIP Member
Aug 28, 2012
Great post monster, I am a raw lifter and here is my theory about this. I am an absolute purist. I do not believe in belts, wraps(of any kind), sleeves, or what have you. It's for my own satisfaction and personal preference, I'm not going to pretend I can squat 1100 in a suit just because I can squat 550 or better raw. So I have an incredible amount of respect for the guys that can do such things. I also know I can't work a bench shirt so my 430 bench wouldn't be any better in a shirt, and as far as deadlifting I wouldn't be able to drive a squat suit far enough down to get any play out of it.

I think that it should be a lifters choice what he wants to lift in or out of, or whether he wants to use PEDs or not. Powerlifting takes a certain breed and I saw a 10 year old squat 200 pounds at an SPF meet in the 148 pound class on saturday, I was so proud of that kid I wanted to cry. Another guy squatted 1000 in a suit and I wanted to shake his hand, and yet another guy in the 165 pound class went on to squat 540 raw and totaled 1540 with a 325 raw bench and a 675 deadlift... All people had a great day of lifting and were 3 completely different lifters. To me that is what powerlifting is about challenging oneself to the fullest.

The one thing I do dislike about gear is people that jump into it too quickly and never get that raw base they so desperately need to work the gear correctly. Just my 2 cents hope it was helpful.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
For me, a belt takes away from my deadlift and squat and wrist wraps are a joke and make my deadlift weaker. First time i pulled 500 it was with no straps and no belt, I had tried pulling it a week prior with wrist wraps FAIL.

gurrrlllyyy men use wrist wraps, plus doing it RAW is way more impressive.

Last edited:
narcissus79

narcissus79

Oct 17, 2012
weightlifters do it with only a belt, strongmen only use wraps and belt.. i say, do it raw guys...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
weightlifters do it with only a belt, strongmen only use wraps and belt.. i say, do it raw guys...

Actually that's not true at all. Oly lifters ALL wear wrist wraps and a belt. Most also wear knee sleeves and many (Damn near all S. Americans) wrap their knees. Don't confuse CrossFag for Oly lifting and I'd know since I trained at an Oly facility whose Women Team won Nationals 19 out of the last 25years. They also produced 5 or 6 Olympians and many World Team members.

Also, I don't know where you got your SM information from b/c that's wrong as well. SM wear squat suits and DL suits under their street clothes. They also wraps their knees and wear wrist wraps and even wrist straps (for pulling). They wear MORE than PLers do since we can't wear straps to help us pull a weight off the floor. Sorry to burst you bubble.

Last edited:
Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
The only time in a competition we wear squat or dl suits is if it is allowed For a dl or a rare squat event.
I've never seen anyone put it under thier clothes though.

With that being said I personally dont use a belt for deadlifts but all my training partners do .We use whatever allows us to pull the most weight. wraps ,straps chalk hell if inhaling chalk made me stronger I'd do it.

Last edited:
narcissus79

narcissus79

Oct 17, 2012
Actually that's not true at all. Oly lifters ALL wear wrist wraps and a belt. Most also wear knee sleeves and many (Damn near all S. Americans) wrap their knees. Don't confuse CrossFag for Oly lifting and I'd know since I trained at an Oly facility whose Women Team won Nationals 19 out of the last 25years. They also produced 5 or 6 Olympians and many World Team members.

Also, I don't know where you got your SM information from b/c that's wrong as well. SM wear squat suits and DL suits under their street clothes. They also wraps their knees and wear wrist wraps and even wrist straps (for pulling). They wear MORE than PLers do since we can't wear straps to help us pull a weight off the floor. Sorry to burst you bubble.

dude, trust me i aint ever going to get crossfit confused with an actual REAL sport.. don't get me started on crossfit..

MagnumTony

MagnumTony

Sep 1, 2012
I give raw lifting the edge , but respect geared lifting none the less. Strong is strong, and in competition you make the rules work for you. If that means wearing a shirt, or a suit or what not, then so be it.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Just to make a quick point before anyone draws a line in the sand here.... lots of guys forget that geared lifters are still strong raw.

Take Brandon Lilly, he's a top 10 multi-ply lifter, nice guy...... trained raw for a few months, went to the SPF california meet and beat Lilliebridge and Efferding raw, two of the strongest raw guys on the planet.

Geared vs. raw are just different ways to show a lifter's power, like comparing drag racing to sled pulling, and much like the trucks that do well in both, a strong lifter in one division can always put in the work to be strong in the other, they are not very far removed and strong is always strong.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic