Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Raising HDl

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Who cares anyway? Current research is showing us that cholesterol does not play the role in heart health that was previously believed.

In fact I was at the doc's office today for blood work and I mentioned that I wasn't fasted for a cholesterol test. He said he wasn't going to bother testing cholesterol anyway.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I'm confused. The title of the thread is "Raising HDL", but you are saying that it used to be good at 40 and now it's at 160? Wouldn't that mean it's already been raised? HDL is the good cholesterol right? So high is good, and you want LDL low, right? I feel like I'm missing something here....

Sorry SAD, i got that assbackwards. hdl was 40 now it's 34 and ldl is 160. So not so bad a reading? You mind me asking what your averages are, I get to be a hypochondriac when this shit happens

Last edited:
graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Who cares anyway? Current research is showing us that cholesterol does not play the role in heart health that was previously believed.

In fact I was at the doc's office today for blood work and I mentioned that I wasn't fasted for a cholesterol test. He said he wasn't going to bother testing cholesterol anyway.

I read that same study, as well as BP readings . some say 140\90 is acceptable now. I think alot of these low standards was\is a great way for drug companies to sell meds to the masses

W

wormking

Jun 10, 2011
My father died of a heart attack due to a cholesterol blockage at the age of 43 back in 2000. He was in excellent shape otherwise.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
My father died of a heart attack due to a cholesterol blockage at the age of 43 back in 2000. He was in excellent shape otherwise.
Sorry to hear that.

I just had a friend of mine drop dead of a heart attack a couple of weeks ago, he was a Personal Trainer in his late 30's like me, like your father he was also in great shape as well.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Niacin is a good start and daily supp of Omega 3's. You can try Liv52. And eat regular, not instant, oatmeal and whole grains. Increasing your fiber can help.

And total cholesterol isn't as accurate as other blood tests. But, the fact remains you want to try and keep your LDL's under 100 and raise your HDL's. Keeping your triglycerides as low as possible too. All in all nothing to be freaked about but you can now be proactive instead of reactive in taking care of yourself.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013

The reason why is, because they not only need to test cholesterol numbers, but also the size. Cholesterol can be high, but much smaller, and not effect our hearts. If the size is larger, and high, thats when one should become concerned. Cholesterol numbers are all but worthless without considering size

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Omega 3 fatty acids and lipid stabil!
Be aware of your diet in combination with running omega 3's as it has been shown in studies that cholesterol-lowering diets can increase the risk of depression. This is because a lot of cholesterol-lowering diets decrease omega 3 fatty acids which as a result can reduce the DHA levels in the brain (the brain comprises of around 50-60% DHA). DHA is an essential part of the neuronal cell membranes, but if it becomes replaced by Omega 6 fatty acids then the likelihood of depression increases as this can cause changes to the structure of the membranes.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic