Threads
Members
Latest Member
Nickobat

Rack Pulls

Shovel

Shovel

Oct 21, 2010
I'm thinking of replacing my weekly deads with RP's. I don't want to sell any body part short, but I have an Umbillical hernia and Heavy deads hurt. Thoughts?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Its a partial dead which can help improve your 1RM... But will that really alleviate the pain? I doubt it. You still have to contract the core just like a deadlift...

Shovel

Shovel

Oct 21, 2010
How bout you just tell me what I want to hear. Lol

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
How bout you just tell me what I want to hear. Lol

Just stick to curls bro... They'll get ya hyuge! Ladies love the pythons! But really, maybe seated goodmornings and extra BB rows?

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
I think rack pulls are in a sense even more difficult than normal deads. Partly because one usually slaps on more weight and it is an awkward spot to start pulling. Personally I have replaced rack pulls with reverse band deads and I feel like they do more for me. I also like deficit deads to really build out of the bottom. Are you training deads for a certain purpose? Maybe you can replace them with something else?

Shovel

Shovel

Oct 21, 2010
No competing or anything, just want overall strength. I can pull 405 now, but won't consider doin more till I have surgery. I have only tried racks last week and 405 was easier, but I figured it wasn't as good. I just don't want to neglect any muscle in my back. Squats are bearable, but the start of every dead strains.

Shovel

Shovel

Oct 21, 2010
Maybe just sticking with light deads at high reps? I can do 225 all day.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Maybe just sticking with light deads at high reps? I can do 225 all day.

Do that, throw in static holds. Hold the contraction for 30 seconds. That shouldn't strain the abs much...

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Yup, what POB recommended....if you aren't competing, there is no need to go crazy and go nut. You can still keep strong and work with in a range that is comfortable.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
No reason to hurt yourself if you aren't competing....

reverse bands would be a nice way to handle some weight at the top without a gut-wrenching ( pun intended) start to the pull..... I wouldn't do bands from the floor because of the abrupt way the bands can load ( great to build a deadlift, probably hard on a hernia)

Make sure you have a good belt and possibly a core wrap of neoprene like the strongman competitors use under their belt.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Shovel do you wear a support under your shirt like a wrap?
I use a wrap and then belt over it I have an umbilical too, did deads fine last night topped out at 635 and no pain at all in my hernia. I have had mine since 05.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Not sure what kind of supports you use but a soft mueller belt is 20 bucks from walmart .Rehband belts are similiar but a bit thicker neoprene and alot more expensive.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic