Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Question about squat safety

B

Btfsu

Oct 8, 2014
Hey guys, I'm looking to start squatting. I noticed that the lone squat rack at my gym doesn't have any safety bars. I'd rather not squat without them. I was thinking of moving two adjustable benches to each of my sides to act as safety bars. Thoughts on this?

Btw, my gym has very low traffic. I'm usually by myself in the gym or with one or two other people, so using the benches wouldn't be a problem from that standpoint

O

oldnslow

Jun 6, 2013
My thought is this, others may disagree. If you are just beginning to squat, you will not be using enough weight to worry about the safety bars. Really, I mean really, work on your form and depth. It is critical to get this right in the beginning before you start working hard to increase weight. The habits you form now will stick with you. The bad ones will be difficult to break. There are many good people on here that can help you with proper form as you start. As you progress, maybe you will be at another gym or use the benches as you described. My concern with the benches is the possibility for that technique to fail for one reason or another, maybe even one that had not been considered.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
As oldnslow stated,when beginning you dont want to load up the bar with tons of weight.Its better to work on getting the movement down and the feel of the lift.Heavier weights will come the longer you workout.Start out with a weight that is comfortable to you.I dont mean so light that it doesnt give you a work out but light enough for you to get a "safe" workout with.

If you are still uncomfortable with the idea for now,just ask someone to spot you.

B

Btfsu

Oct 8, 2014
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I do have experience squatting from my high school weightlifting classes. I'll probably just keep the weight under 200 without the safety racks

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'd recommend you find someone who can spot you. Show them how to properly spot you and have them spot you on your heavy sets.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Depends on your size I guess, but 2 standard flat benches might catch the bar pretty low if you do have to use them to bail out, kind of a built in safety hazard right there. But you said adjustable benches, what's gonna keep the bar from reaching them at a higher, more comfortable height and then rolling/sliding further down while you're still under it?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I'd say either talk to the management about getting some sort of safety bars or a better squat rack or whatever, or even consider changing gyms if need be. Squats are a must IMO, and you don't want to have to be worried with equipment safety or possibly injuring yourself or others when you should be focused on doing the exercise properly, working the muscles, increasing the weight, etc.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Find a new gym. Management obviously doesn't give a damn there.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic