Kuma
What's New?

Question About Elbow Sleeves

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Hello.

I'm thinking about getting elbow sleeves, but I wanted some opinions before I follow through.

My goal is powerlifting. Right now I am a bench press only person. So I am benching twice a week at the moment.

I don't have any elbow pain or anything, but I wanted to get them as a preventative measure. I was hoping getting some sleeves would help prevent tendonitis and damage to my elbows in the future.

Is this true, or will I actually become dependent on them?

Should I get them or not ?

Again, I just want to be smart and train smart, and try to prevent injuries.

Thanks.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
I don't think you will become dependent on them. Things like grips and belts form dependence if you over use them. I would go for the sleeves. You will only be using them on chest day anyway

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Go ahead and get them. I recently got a pair each of Inzer XT knee sleeves and elbow sleeves and they're great.

The knee sleeves I use all the time for squats but the elbow sleeves I only use when I experience pain. Usually when doing seated barbell presses behind the neck.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm a proponent of knee and elbow sleeves. I use blue rhebands (7mm).

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
Only thing I use is dollar store neoprene knee braces as elbow earners and I think they help.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
IMO, benching isnt what tears up most elbows, but instead, it's heavy, single joint extension that does it.

I think elbow warmers might be a little better in your case. Elbow warms do give a bit of support, but without the added weight that a sleeve will add.

I am not disagreeing with anyone here, just giving a slightly different perspective. Are you training below 5 reps? If so, try the sleeves. If you're training more like a strength/BBer lifter, then go with the warmers.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
IMO, benching isnt what tears up most elbows, but instead, it's heavy, single joint extension that does it.

I think elbow warmers might be a little better in your case. Elbow warms do give a bit of support, but without the added weight that a sleeve will add.

I am not disagreeing with anyone here, just giving a slightly different perspective. Are you training below 5 reps? If so, try the sleeves. If you're training more like a strength/BBer lifter, then go with the warmers.

Squatting also puts A LOT of pressure on the elbows. When you pull the bar into your back it stresses the elbows big time.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Squatting also puts A LOT of pressure on the elbows. When you pull the bar into your back it stresses the elbows big time.

And shoulders! Man, if you're shoulders aren't real flexible, not having the right hand placements can be hell on them as well.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
And shoulders! Man, if you're shoulders aren't real flexible, not having the right hand placements can be hell on them as well.

Very true especially for those of us who use a very close grip when holding the bar. Most don't do enough shoulder prehab/mobility to squat with a close grip.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012

On my heavy day I go a max of up to 5 reps. On my rep day I go up to around 10 reps.

When you say heavy joint extension, do you mean movements like heavy skull crushers, heavy rope press downs, etc ?

Last edited:
wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
I've had mine for 6 years..best $55 dollars I have ever spent.

My suggestion to you, unless you fluctuate size often, buy them tight (look at the sizing chart) I bought 2 pair, one is 2xl I believe and I lost about 20lbs now that I am off AAS and they are loose and are nowhere near as effective. I use my old XL pair and they are amazing. I use the 2xl on my knees during heavy squats now.

The tighter you can get get them before you pull the velcro down, the more they will assist you.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I'm a proponent of knee and elbow sleeves. I use blue rhebands (7mm).

I was just gonna get a pair from Academy for like $10 a piece.

Where do you recommend purchasing the Rhebands from ?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic